Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicman fans

Bassplayerjoe

Anyone who is a fan of the Musicman basses go to the website below and customize your own bass. If an image of the bass appears then they are in stock somewhere, if not then there are no musicman basses that resemble what you want. Just have fun and make your dream musicman.

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/build/

"All things are possible through Christ." (Matt 19:26)

My band: http://www.purevolume.com/fadingsilence

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Bassplayerjoe:

....If an image of the bass appears then they are in stock somewhere, if not then there are no musicman basses that resemble what you want. Just have fun and make your dream musicman.

http://www.ernieball.com/mmonline/build/

Uh.....not quite true there my man.... The function of this is to provide prospective buyers with some idea of different color / fretboard / pickguard combinations.

You need to contact a MM dealer to see what they have in stock.( or what they can get for you)

Nothing new here.

PJR

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Hi PJR!

Been a while. Nice to see you around these parts.

Perhaps I'll be able to catch a show of yours one of these days now that I'm well settled in back on the east coast.

Peace.

--SW

Yea.....Sweets...been pretty hooked up the last few months.....moving and all. Things are settling in a bit for now.....

Got a few new 'toys' ..... ;)

I'll share with the boyz in a few.....

...back to the original posters misinformation.

:)

PJR

• 1 month later...

holy crap i played a musicman stingray today.

wow.

I like my conklin...but this bass was amazing. Absolute tonal beast. I played it through an aguilar setup at the union square guitar center. I wasn't really in a rush to go anywhere because of the transit strike in new york. It was freakin sweet. Give me a 6 string musicman and i'll be set.

I also realized today that i need to raise the action on my bass...really low action isn't conducive to the kind of slap that my thumb is used to.

jason "i'm just saying that's all" atkins

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

I´d design my dream musicman in the EB site, buttercreme or white, white, black or shell pguard, rosewood, non matching headstock... But I´d bought an all black Stingray (non matching headstock). It´s a dream too ! I´ll put my two vintage Presicions on eBay.

check out the inventory at my local MM dealer:

STL Ltd_Ed_Radiance_Red Rswd_Black White_Pearloid_Pg

STL Candy_Red Mpl_Match White_Pg

SR Le_Envy_Green Rswd_Black Abalone_Pg

SR Ltd_Ed_Buttercream Rswd_Match Shell_Pg

the candy red sterling looks like this:

http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/instrument_images/170/170-21-11-02.gif

and i still haven't gone to see them all. wow. i might go tomorrow night.

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

check out the inventory at my local MM dealer:

STL Ltd_Ed_Radiance_Red Rswd_Black White_Pearloid_Pg

STL Candy_Red Mpl_Match White_Pg

SR Le_Envy_Green Rswd_Black Abalone_Pg

SR Ltd_Ed_Buttercream Rswd_Match Shell_Pg

That Buttercream with the shell pickguard is a beautiful thing.

Here's a fiver -

http://images.andale.com/f2/118/108/5340921/click2enlarge/1131285230475_IM000181.JPG

Push the button Frank.

Originally posted by Gospel7theZealot:

oh yeah...the one that i played had two humbuckers.

i think it was new.

jason

Sounds like you were checking out a Bongo 5 string! The aesthetic of these is something of an aquired taste, but Ernie Ball/Musicman has a great tradition of building quality instruments.

http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/images/55N/BONGO5-BLK_front.jpg

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

was not a bongo...of this i am certain. It was definitely a stingray.

It had that sunbursty kinda look to it.

the dude in the dept told me that it was brand new. I think the retail was about $1500.

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

photo evidence is always nice:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/DrStankface/GuitarCenter003.jpg

they make it in a 5, too:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/DrStankface/GuitarCenter002.jpg

interesting story about the second picture. it was taken at the same atlanta GC i went to last memorial day. i know this becuase the same PJB stack that i tried then and reviewed here and at talkbass.com is still for sale for the low, low price of $4,499. they were selling a desert gold (light orange) sterling for $849 then, too, which i was tempted to buy, but didn't.

robb.

Not SUBs. All Stingrays (4 & 5 string) & Sterlings are just coming on line with dual pickup options (double humbuckers and humbucker/single coil sorta like Lakland) They will still be available as single PU basses. Very strong rumors about a 5 string Sterling as well being announced at Namm. Bongos are also available as single PU and both dual PU configurations as well.

Originally posted by Gospel7theZealot:

holy crap i played a musicman stingray today.

wow.

With my crystal ball I can see a Stingray in your future.

I've not seen a dual PU one yet, but I've been lusting for one since before they announced making them. The original single PU models are nothing to sneeze at either. take one out and play it in a band situation and you'll really be impressed! They are the last of the Leo's trio of truly classic basses IMHO. P, J & Stingray. Ernie Ball has done an excellent job of updating Leo's original 70's design and their QC is second to none in the world of production instruments.

End of plug.

Originally posted by Father Gino:

With my crystal ball I can see a Stingray in your future.

I really want a 6 string bass though...like really.

If someone starts making musicman or affordable fender jazz copies in 6 string models you guys will see me with 2 new basses.

jason

Soli Deo Gloria

My YouTube Channel

Noooooooo ! Leave the Stingray as is ! It´s a classic, it´s perfect, a beauty. If somebody need another pup, is there a Sterling waiting. Need more? the Bongo arrives.

Sterling five? isn´t the actual Stingray five really a Sterling? or the Sterling five will wear only 1 pickup a la SR4?

What happen with the EB staff... They did great improvements to the MM basses, specially Stingrays, to the point that newer SR4 are better in sound and specs than preEB, but now...

Pickup placement/sweet spot, pickup type (wide aperture humbucker), and preamp design are the main components there to get snuggly close to the MM sound. Some people have been ordering Carvin Sixes with two alnico humbuckers for some time now; don't know how close that bridge pickup is to the MM position though...

If you decide to pull the frets and do an epoxy job on that Conklin and then want to sell it let me know - so I can research a new preamp for it ; }

Photo of my two Stingray's:

http://home.comcast.net/~steforce/M%20studio%203.jpg

1. Active Fretless - pre Ernie Ball mid-late 1970's

2. 5 string active - Ernie Ball MM

I would NEVER attempt to modify either one of these babies--they are perfect as is.. :)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Originally posted by Belazaras:

Noooooooo ! Leave the Stingray as is ! It´s a classic, it´s perfect, a beauty.

well, it's not as if the classic stingray is going away. there will still be single pickup stingrays and sterlings. now for those who enjoy the versatility of the bongo but prefer the aesthetics and electronics of the stingray, there is a 2-pickup stingray.

the part i don't necessarily understand is that why they're making a sterling 5. i mean, people have been asking for one for years, but their response has been that the stingray 5 is pretty much a sterling 5. or, at least, a crossover between the stingray and the sterling, but in 5 string format. i guess it'll look more like a classic sterling and induce more to buy it. or else, why bother?

i think both EBMM and G&L do a great job of managing their leo history while also expanding the line slowly and tastefully.

robb.

If no one ever changed anything, we'd all be playing P basses. The original Stingray was quite the revolution 30 years ago. In theory, the 2 pickup Rays & Sterlings will be exactly like the single pickup models except for the obvious. In other words, they'll be able to sound just like they always did but have some tonal options beyond the originals. Sounds pretty good to me. And yes, the originals will still be there if that's what you want.

I don't know what a Sterling 5 string will be like and I agree that EB is getting to a point with perhaps too many subtle differences in their line. But I'm really looking forward to checking out these new basses. The problem may be finding a place to see them all at one time. Even if GC had one example of all the possible permutations, they'd have more MMs than I've ever seen there.

Tried my first dual 'bucker 'Ray today. I've had a dually Bongo for a while.

The front bucker is um.......BEEFY! Like a big, thick P bass with a different bite.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/hzdonut/IM001102.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/hzdonut/IM001103.jpg

funny. i tried out the sterling i pictured above. it was much darker in person than in the picture. i forgot how much i love the sterling. i enjoy my korean cirrus, but i love the sterling sound and feel. i tried it out through a nemesis silver 150W 2x8 combo. sounded like a nemesis, which is a very good thing. reasonable price tag, too, but i'd rather get the composite 210 than a wood cabinet 2x8.

robb.

Saw a dual 'bucker Stingray at BassNW yesterday so they are getting out there. I'd really like to try a Ray, when I finally visit Southpaw Guitars I may get the chance.

Forceman - I Love that family photo! But have to say that of all your fish the Jazz really calls to me! :thu:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived