Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

High End Gig Bags?

LLroomtempJ

Jason - lots of solid suggestions. How to decide? It's easy. You're in Boston - go to Mooradian. He makes basses as well .

And bring your bass with you - don't assume it will fit. I tried putting my 34.5" scale Kinal into Getz's Incase, and it was a struggle zipping it up. If I remember correctly, none of your basses are small, so test first.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jason - lots of solid suggestions. How to decide? It's easy. You're in Boston - go to Mooradian. He makes basses as well .

And bring your bass with you - don't assume it will fit. I tried putting my 34.5" scale Kinal into Getz's Incase, and it was a struggle zipping it up. If I remember correctly, none of your basses are small, so test first.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have not used a hard shell case in years..

they are just too big and heavy to haul in and out of the vehicle /clubs.

I have a few different brands of gig bags.

The Undercover double bass bag is the best case I own.

Very well made and lots of padding..

I purchased it from Bass Central...

I sometimes actually take two basses to a gig and the case works very well...I dont have to jam the basses in...

I also have a Reunion Blues case thats about 15 years old and its finally starting to breakdown..but has served me well w/o any problems.

I have two Moradian bags,they are nice bags but came with basses I purchased..

I would not buy this brand.

I have a few Fender bags and they are OK.. they get the job done.

Getz has a very nice bass case / bag that is also high on the list.

Lots of great options out there to choose from...

www.danielprine.com

• 3 weeks later...
I own a Warick 5 thumb with the upgraded 3 band preamp (the one in the neck thru model)and a Rockbag, I never noticed any problems with the quality of it. I also own a Road Runner premium bag ($60) This is a great bag. It's stiff and well padded with the back pack style straps.(comfortable if you wear it on both shoulders.) it's on the heavy side though. Combined with your bass and cables this gets pretty heavy! But, if you want protection it's about the best bag you can get.
The Good Stuff is On The Bottom!

My hardshell came from the manufacturer and fits the bass perfectly. As I'm mostly transporting by car, this works best for me. I wouldn't want to carry it for long distances or take it on the subway, though. I think the only time I had to take a bass on a plane I talked them into putting it into the closet (a 3/4-size bass).

I got a gig bag when I bought my Ovation. My wife surprised me a few weeks later with the manufacturer's hardshell. I have never had a chance to use my gig bag. I don't even remember the brand. It has nice padded backpack straps and a padded handle.

My experience with anything mass produced and sewn is that the stitching will come undone at some point. If you have the means of reinforcing this, it is probably worth the effort. If you're actually wearing through the material, well, that's another issue. For spot problems -- like a strap lock poking through -- you should probably add a piece of leather or something to strengthen that spot before problems occur.

For around here a typical styrofoam core ABS exterior case as sold by Ibanez or Carvin works fine. I had a gig bag and never use it; it would be a liability in fact. But if I had to do the urban gear commute that would be different. Then I'd want the backpack trip happening to keep the hands available for my Flite cab and my tazer ; }

Archived