Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Amp

Dave Gallagher

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by getz76:

You are considering two 8x10" cabinets? What type of gigs do you play?

Indoors, you can often be effective with a 1x12" or 2x10" cabinet when you have sound reinforcement. Sometimes you can do so even without sound reinforcement. I have never played a venue where a 4x10" or a 2x12" without sound reinforcement was not enough. I have played venues that had a backline provided that was either an 8x10" or a 4x10" + 1x15" (or 1x18"). However, the beauty is that the set up isn't moved.

You do realize that the Behringer 8x10" cabinet weighs in at a whopping 176 lbs. and is 52"x26"x16". Transporting this will be less than easy.

How do I know? I owned the original 8x10" cabinet, the Ampeg SVT.

But, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

I could play all my gigs with a 1X12 with no PA if I had to. With PA, 1X12 is plenty.

Likewise. I was hitting my Low-B2 2x10" with 900W last night, which was enough to go louder than the drummer or guitarist, so I could lighten up my tough and play with true dynamics. But in a gig situation, even with PA system, I'd rather take the second 2x10" as well, and have 1800W to play with.

There's a guy on talkbass who's determined to create a low budget, public transport friendly rig, for a rock situation and he's an inexperienced player (this matters a lot in getting the most out of your gear) playing with a pick. It's really painful watching him chop and change - and kill cabs... Trying to use a 1x10" in a rock band, and surprise, he's blown the speaker!

Alex

I've used the Bergantino HT112 to good effect with PA support; it is "loud" for its size, and I have a feeling it has something to do with the nice response in the midrange area. I like using the HT112 and EX112 together, though, partially for looks and since they sound so much better together than separate (read, "louder and more even").

I haven't busted the Acme's out in a while. Nice cabinets, but my current gigging does not require them. I think my next show without a backline is going to see them come out and play. :)

The places I play regularly are not that big. The smooth jazz is basically "background" music around here. Not many people are sophisticated enough to really appreciate it as a "featured" thing. The drummer uses "rods" for almost everything.

Even the "acoustic rock" group is pretty soft. I had to carry the room last week with that group as I couldn't go into the FOH. It actually worked pretty well. The Eden had to work but she held her own.

I realize that most people need more "umph" than I. Although, I played an outdoor wedding reception (jazz) and the Eden/Bergie held up just fine.

Archived