Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer Amp

Dave Gallagher

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason you can't find the rig is basically no one uses an 8x12 and the Behringer is a relatively brand new amp.

I'm just wondering, why do you need an 8x12? Are you against 4 guitarists with 100 watt tube amps and 3 drummers? The reason I'm asking is most people find (for most gigs save outdoors gigs) a 2x12 to be more than enough. Also, do you really want to run only 450 watts into 16, 12 inch speakers? Seems a bit under powered.

On the other hand, if you want a cheap 8x10, looks around for Steelsound cabs on the net. Very reasonable.

In Skynyrd We Trust

Quote:

", do you really want to run only 450 watts into 16, 12 inch speakers? Seems a bit under powered."

It will be ok as long as the head and cabinet have an ohm match. A miss matched pair would be under powered.

A 450 head with an 8-12 cabinet will let me have a great bottom sound at a lower volume.

You are considering two 8x10" cabinets? What type of gigs do you play?

Indoors, you can often be effective with a 1x12" or 2x10" cabinet when you have sound reinforcement. Sometimes you can do so even without sound reinforcement. I have never played a venue where a 4x10" or a 2x12" without sound reinforcement was not enough. I have played venues that had a backline provided that was either an 8x10" or a 4x10" + 1x15" (or 1x18"). However, the beauty is that the set up isn't moved.

You do realize that the Behringer 8x10" cabinet weighs in at a whopping 176 lbs. and is 52"x26"x16". Transporting this will be less than easy.

How do I know? I owned the original 8x10" cabinet, the Ampeg SVT.

But, if it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.

Quote:

"I'm gonna guess it's a "Deaf Leppard" tribute band"

Wow, are you way off. I picked up the rig today. The 8x10 cabinet is heavy, but not that bad. The reason I chose this setup is because of the style of bass I play. I am not one of you young guys playing with a high treble tone and a pick and with the guitar down to thigh level.

The band will play a sort of blend of jazz,rock and blues. I play it with a deep bass sound with my fingers. This rig is perfect for me. We will be playing some of the bigger rooms and I made sure I could handle my end of things.

In the old days I was known for my sound. I hope to get back the reputation I used to have. Time will tell if thats possible.

Dave.

PS I wouldn't be caught dead playing anything by Def or Deaf Leppard.

Quote:

"Dave, I'm curious as to why you didn't go with Ampeg, as they're in your home town."

.... I forgot to answer this question. Yes Ampeg is here, but its not the old Ampeg. This is really a different Ampeg resting on its old reputation.

You would have to live in St. Louis and understand the company to know why I did not choose it.

Behringer has them beat by a mile and at a better price.

That one was a little too high, Fred. Seems to have gone over his head. ;)

Dave, we were just busting on you. Seriously, I rarely see anyone playing an 8x10" anymore due to smaller rooms and better sound reinforcement. I have also NEVER seen anyone play two 8x10" cabinets in a non-arena-type venue.

However, if you like the 8x10", that is all that matters. I would just lend you some words of advice.

1) Beware of pissing off the sound man, if there is one. He holds the key to your tone.

2) Beware of bring an inappropriately large rig to a gig for fear of topic 1.

3) If you have a large, heavy cabinet, you better have a rather large vehicle to transport the beast. You should also have casters.

4) If topic 3 applies and you encounter stairs, you better have a dim-witted drummer that can be convinced to help you with a large, heavy cabinet.

5) If topic 4 applies and you do have a dim-witted drummer that can be convinced to help you with a large, heavy cabinet, be prepared to reciprocate with those large, heavy drums.

6) If topic 4 applies and you do not have a dim-witted drummer that can be convinced to help you with a large, heavy cabinet, do not under any circumstances hold your breath hoping the guitarist, keyboardist, vocalist, or horn section will help you.

7) Do not stereotype "you young guys playing with a high treble tone and a pick and with the guitar down to thigh level" unless you want to look like a fool.

Getz76, I guess my #7 was too high as well, it may have gone over a few heads.

The Behringer was in fact one of the recomendations I got from a sound guy that will be working with us. He also mentioned a few other options, but I love the Behringer. He knows the type of gigs we will be doing. While the rig is heavy, I can handle it by myself, as I did today when I brought it home. No problem with a two wheel dolly for the stairs. We will have a guy working for us that helps with the heavy stuff.

I have delayed buying the second cabinet, as it looks like I may not need it after all. This unit has lots of power and volume to spare.

I come from a generation that used Marshall stacks to get what I now have in this unit.

In 1978 my Marshall's were stolen. Whenever I see an old set I try to check and see if they were mine. They have not turned up anywhere in all these years. And its just as well, I would not want to play them anyway. Today's stuff is much better than the old rigs.

Originally posted by Dave Gallagher:

Quote:.... I forgot to answer this question. Yes Ampeg is here, but its not the old Ampeg. This is really a different Ampeg resting on its old reputation.

You would have to live in St. Louis and understand the company to know why I did not choose it.

Behringer has them beat by a mile and at a better price.

No, Dave, I'm really curious. I know two of the guys who were part of Ampeg when they were in Linden, NJ and I see them now and then, so I'd love to pass on some gossip to them if you have any inside stuff on the St. Louis operation.

That and all the talk about Behringer gets my curiosity. EddiePlaysBass bought a Behringer amp and likes it. I've tried the BXR series but I have too much equipment already (including an SVT and B25R head from different generations of Ampeg factories).

I've been to St. Louis a few times and even considered moving there once. (and not just to be near the Busch factory, either :D ) I have a soft spot in my heart for the "gateway to the Midwest" and may visit again someday after I retire.

It's a forum, brother, not the Wild Wild West.

(you had to smile at the "Deaf Lepperd" crack... just a little, eh?) :D

I also have a Behringer head. I bought it cheap used for a backup.

I have actually gigged with it a lot more than my "real" rig.

It's more than adequate.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Fred beat me to it, but indeed I have a Behringer head as well. If I'm right it will probably be the same one as yours, but I'm too tired to remember.

Anyway, it's one of the best investments I've done in my 3 year "career" !!! Everyone that has heard it comments on the tone of the bugger (I play it through a 4x10 and occasionally an added 1x15 Behringer cab) and even though I've still some searching and tweaking to do, I know enough to say that I LIKE it :thu:

PS [spam]If you go to my site, click on the British flag and then on "pics" and scroll down a bit, you'll see a pic of me with the entire rig.[/spam]

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Quote from Fred:

"Dave, I'm really curious. I know two of the guys who were part of Ampeg when they were in Linden, NJ and I see them now and then, so I'd love to pass on some gossip to them if you have any inside stuff on the St. Louis operation."

....Fred, never on a public forum and not to a person I don't know well.

Dave G.

PS Here is my website for playing my other instrument.

http://www.stlouisirishpiper.com

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

Fred beat me to it, but indeed I have a Behringer head as well. If I'm right it will probably be the same one as yours, but I'm too tired to remember.

Anyway, it's one of the best investments I've done in my 3 year "career" !!! Everyone that has heard it comments on the tone of the bugger (I play it through a 4x10 and occasionally an added 1x15 Behringer cab) and even though I've still some searching and tweaking to do, I know enough to say that I LIKE it :thu:

PS [spam]If you go to my site, click on the British flag and then on "pics" and scroll down a bit, you'll see a pic of me with the entire rig.[/spam]

Hey, EddiePlaysBass, nice pic ;)

Your amp is nearly bigger than you :D

BTW - you look nothing like your Avatar!

LOL

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Eddie cool rig. I want a set up like that! There's a Behrenger amp through an Ampeg 1x15 and SWR 4x10 at the studio we rehearse at. I don't think that Behrenger is the same as yours, though-it's a little smaller, like 275 watts at 8 ohm I think. It sounded a lot better than expected when recorded with the J bass.

I saw some Behrenger stuff on sale for like, incredibly cheap prices. How reliable are they though? I just may use a Behrenger rig as my main beat around bar gig rig, and keep the miles off the Ampeg stuff.

I probably won't be playing very many places with backlines if I'm we stick on LI. I've also been looking at 2x10's in case I had to use my mustang to get to a gig.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I have to disagree with you. Peavey is now and has been the best deal going for the last 25 years. I think all of the regulars around here have used Peavey gear and will attest to that.

Archived