Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Delaying drivers in PA?

The band I run Sound for recently purchased new speakers. They bought the PAS-TOC RS2.2 tops and CB-2 subs. The system has an available controller that acts as a 3-way x-over and also delays the drivers to correct for driver alignment. The controller was out of the budget for the band ($1900). Right now I'm using an Ashley x-over made in the late seventies. Even though the unit is older it's very clean :thu: . I was thinking about getting some sort of drive rack, like the dbx Drive Rack PA or an omni-drive because driver delays can be programmed in. My only concern is I've never done this and don't really know how to approach it. Any tips or "rules of thumb"?
The doktor said I wouldn't hav so many nosebleeds if I kept my finger out of there.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Tarvis: [b]The band I run Sound for recently purchased new speakers. They bought the PAS-TOC RS2.2 tops and CB-2 subs. The system has an available controller that acts as a 3-way x-over and also delays the drivers to correct for driver alignment. The controller was out of the budget for the band ($1900). Right now I'm using an Ashley x-over made in the late seventies. Even though the unit is older it's very clean :thu: . I was thinking about getting some sort of drive rack, like the dbx Drive Rack PA or an omni-drive because driver delays can be programmed in. My only concern is I've never done this and don't really know how to approach it. Any tips or "rules of thumb"?[/b][/quote]Time-aligning drivers: Measure how far apart the voice coils (or driver elements, for horns) are, from the front of the speaker back towards the stage. Delay 71.225 uSec (this is 0.071225 mSec) for each inch. Apply the delay to the speaker closest to the audience. If tri-amping, repeat the measuremetn for the third driver, always measuring the distance from the speaker to be delayed, to rearmost speaker. The magic 71.225 uSec number comes from the speed of sound: 1170 ft/sec = 1 ft / 854.7008 uSec = 1 inch / 71.225 uSec Hope this helps... :) Phil Koenig Tangent Studios

Archived