Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Calling all Bostonians

davio

I'm going to be in Boston visiting my gf at NEU this coming week and I was wondering if anybody in the area might be interested in going to Boston Guitar Works with me and/or going out for a bite to eat. I'll be there 10/17-10/20. Discuss. :wave:

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The meeting did happen, although not at Boston Guitar Works.

Davio (David Burnett) and his girlfriend Zoe and I met up with Gospel7theZealot (Jason Atkins)at Daddy's Junky Music on Mass. Ave in Boston yesterday.

Even though these guys are younger than my son, we had a great time hanging out....the world of bass is an excellent common denominator.

We looked at a few basses, got kicked out of Daddy's, went to eat some cheap but good Thai food at a Berklee College hangout (it's fun sitting in a place, looking out the window to the street and seeing every single person who walks by carrying an instrument).

Then we went to Jason's MIT fraternity house and hung out, played his basses and hung out some more.

These guys are both really nice and I expect great things in the future from them.

Sorry, I don't have any pictures today, I brought my camera but I didn't bring the cables and software to attach it to a computer. I'll put the pictures up in a week or so.

I lived in Boston for a number of years, got burnt out, fled to the boonies of Maine where I'm originally from. Happily raising chickens and raspberries, peeing in the backyard when I feel like it.

But Boston is a happenin' town and, jeremy, your story makes me nostalgic for it. I can't remember the last time I got kicked out of a music store...

Yo guys:

It was great to meet Dave and jeremy this past week. JeremyC is a real trooper...injured, to the point where walking was a challenge, he still made it out to hang out with us and to bestow upon us his bass wisdom. Dave is a hilarious guy, very dry sense of humor. He reminds me of myself. :D

I always assumed that i would only meet the lowdowners who were significantly closer to me (from a geographic standpoint)...but dave is from florida and jeremy from california...what are the chances of meeting both of them at the same time?

Dave and Jeremy are both fine people and fine players.

here is a pre-ejection picture of the three of us in daddy's.

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/BostonMeeting/IMG_1076.jpg

here is a picture of Dave enjoying the beauty that is my ibanez sr485.

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/BostonMeeting/IMG_1077.jpg

Jeremy with the conklin 7...zoe in the corner. Dave was kinda scared of my 7, but that is understandable considering that he's more a 4 man. jeremy tackled the 7 and whipped out some bossa nova chops.

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/BostonMeeting/IMG_1078.jpg

Once again, Dave...but this time with Zoe in the corner enjoying the Boston Bass Fest 2005.

http://web.mit.edu/jatkins/Public/BostonMeeting/IMG_1079.jpg

OH! JeremyC also stopped me from getting my first moving violation ever (i was rushing to get back to my house and forgetting why i never make turns on a particular intersection). Not only is he a good man, but he keeps my insurance rates low. Thanks JC.

Bass as a common denominator definitely laid the foundation for good times had by all.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

If you look in the background of the first picture. There is a stage with some acoustic guitars on it. Some guys were there putting on a clinic.

The people at daddy's also weren't too accepting of the fact that i like to play bass naked.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by Gospel7theZealot:

...The people at daddy's also weren't too accepting of the fact that i like to play bass naked.

jason

Well, shoot - how are you supposed to really experience the music if you can't feel those low freqs slapping against your bare skin? Philistines...

I just got these this morning:

THE "MASSHOLE" TEST:

1.You think crosswalks are for wimps.

2. You think if someone is nice to you that they either want something, or they are from out of town and lost.

3. You know how to cross four lanes of traffic in five seconds.

4. You're amazed when traveling out of town that people at McDonalds actually speak English.

5.You think it's not actually tailgating unless you're touching the bumper of the car in front of you.

6. You know that a yellow light means that at least five more people can get through and a red one means two more can.

7. The transportation system is known as the "T".

8. You could own a small town in Iowa for the cost of your house.

9. Subway is a fast food place.

10. There are 24 Dunkin Donuts shops within 15 minutes of your house.

11. When people talk about "The Curse Of The Bambino", you know what they're talking about, and believe it, too (well, at least you USED to).

12. You believe using your turn signals gives away your plan to the enemy.

13. If you stay on the same road long enough, it eventually has three different names.

14. Someone has honked at you because you didn't peel out the second the light turned green.

15. You have honked at someone because they didn't peel out the second the light turned green.

16. All the potholes just add to the excitement of driving.

17. Stop signs mean slow down a little, but only of you want to.

18. Six inches of snow is considered a dusting.

19. Three days of 90 degree heat is definately a "heat wave" and 63 degrees is "a little on the warm side".

20. You cringe everytime you hear some actor or actress imitate the "Boston Accent" on TV or in a movie...if you don't have it, then you're never going to get it, even if you were born here.

21. At the ice cream shop, you call chocolate sprinkles "jimmies".

22. You can go from one side of town to the other in less than fifteen minutes and see at least fifteen losers you went to high school with doing the same thing they were doing when you saw them last.

23. The person in front of you is going 70 MPH and you're cursing them for going too slow.

24. You know how to pronounce towns like Worcester, Haverhill, and Cotuit.

25. You know what they sell at a "packie".

26. You have never been to the Cheers bar.

27. You've slammed on your brakes to deter a tailgater.

28. You still try to order curly fries from Burger King.

29. You keep an ice scraper in your car all year round.

30. You know at least three Tony's, one Vinnie, and a Frank.

31. Paranoia sets in when you can't see an ATM or CVS.

32. You've pulled out of a side street and used your car to block oncoming traffic so you can make a left

33. You've bragged about saving money at The Christmas Tree Shop.

34. You know what a "regular coffee" is.

35. You can navigate a rotary without a problem.

36. You have been to Fenway Park.

37. You refer to the New York Yankees as the 'evil empire'.

38. You feel the rest of the world needs to drive more like you

39. When someone calls you a "masshole", you take it as a compliment.

40. You use the words "wicked" and "good" in the same sentence.

41. You know what a frappe is.

42. Saint Patricks Day is your second favorite holiday.

43. You are proud to drink Sam Adams and think that the rest of the country owes Bostonians a thank you.

44. You never say "Cape Cod"; you say "the cape".

45. You went to Old Sturbridge Village and Plymouth Plantation in elementary school.

46. You can drive to the mountains and the ocean all in one day.

47. You have a special place in your heart for the Worcester Firefighters.

48. You know the Mass Pike is some strange weather dividing line.

49. You almost feel disappointed when someone doesn't flip you off when you cut them off or steal their parking space.

50. You actually get all of these jokes, AND pass them on!

Originally posted by jeremy c:

The same list is true for Providence, except we don't call it a frappe, we call it a cabinet.

And in Providence everybody knows what you mean when you say you are going down city.

I did live in Providence a couple of years, on Taber Ave. Do you know, they've just opened a Del's frozen lemonade stand up here in Maine ? :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived