Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've been asked to sub (UPDATE: How many bands can you play with?)

EddiePlaysBass

Well, our rhythm guitarist's oldest son (he's 15) plays guitar in a band, and they have a gig booked for the 5th of November.

For one reason or another they've fired their bass player, and now they've asked me to fill in for that one gig :cool:

Their drummer has filled in for ours during a rehearsal once, and he completely blew me away. The funky drummer aside, this kid is the best one I've ever played with.

So naturally I'm going for it :D It'll be a 30 - 40 minute set, about 10 songs. Not sure how many rehearsals I'll be able to do with these guys, but it should be a fun experience either way :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be fun . . .Nerve-wracking at times, too.

But, know the tunes as best you can, show up on tiime, go in with a good attitude, and be flexible.

Those things will get you more good references and return phone calls than anything, IMO.

Good luck. Fill-in's are fun. They can also be, well, a load of work.

Work hard. And have fun.

Best of luck.

"When it comes to havin' a good time, nothing beats 'fun'. . ."

-- Stefan Johnson

Thanks everyone :) I'm going to start working on some of the tunes later today. I'm pretty excited about it. Who knows, perhaps these kids will drop my name next time some band needs a sub ;)

They're very serious about it, have offered me help with tabbing out the bass lines etc. and I can even do some backing vocals if I want to and if it blends in well with the (female) lead singer.

And Fred, yeah the average age of this particular band is 15 :rolleyes: In theory I'm old enough to be their father ;) And I'm half-Italian so that's not even farfetched :D

• 2 weeks later...

Right, so today was my first (of three) rehearsals with Abscence, the band who asked me to sub.

These kids are between 13 and 15 years old, but I was completely blown away with their technical skills :freak: I was really, REALLY glad that I'd done my homework !!!

I knew the drummer and one of the guitar players, and I knew they were good, but this was something else, especially taking the age factor into consideration ... No, that would not do them justice. Age is of no concern, these cats can play !!!!!

Funny thing was, we didn't sound like 4 members + one sub, we actually sounded like a band that had been together for a good few months. Not bad for a first rehearsal, if you ask me ...

One of the organisers of the festival we are supposed to play in 3 weeks came to check us out and he said that "we" (meaning they :D ) sounded way tighter than a few weeks ago. A few weeks ago they still had their regular bass player, who'd been with them for a year or so ...

I know one of the guitar players would want me to become a permanent member, and once this month (and the two shows I have planned with them) is over, I will definitely sit down and have a talk with them.

But that'd be my 3rd band :freak: Really, how many bands can you be in? I know the HBC isn't really going anywhere, and we don't rehearse regularly, so in theory I'd be committed fulltime to two bands.

But these kids are just too darned good to pass up. And I know I have the chops to at least keep up with them, PLUS it would undoubtedly be a good learning school for me. I think I've learnt more from today's 5 hours of rehearsal (yes, they go at it for 5 hours, with two short breaks)

than I have in the past 6 months with the cover band ...

Archived