Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First Real Job

Vice Royal

I got my First Real Post College Job last night. I will be more than doubling what I make now.

Now the important question, What should I get? I'm thinking about ordering my Dream Bass, a Carl Thompson (What can I say I'm a huge Primus Fan), but I don't want to wait three years to get it.

For once in my life I will be able to get the gear that I want and I can't think of a damn thing. Maybe some Aguilar stuff.

Any Thoughts?

Love,

~Jeff

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty exciting, that.

I would actually advise against going in debt to get gear. Still, a nice reward is important. Use that 3 year waiting period to save money to pay cash.

Dr. Sweet Willie got a really nice bass to celebrate his doctorate.

Here's a very important piece of advice I didn't follow when I was young, and I kick myself daily for it.

If you save a paltry sum, say $100 a month for the next 5 years, and put it in a nice mutual fund and leave it alone, you'll be a rich man at retirement.

And that's closer than you think.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

I agree with dave here. I'm still looking for a job, but if and when I get one, I don't plan on getting any new gear "just to celebrate".

Sure, I could use a nice fretless, because mine is okay but not exactly great. Or I could buy the Warwick I've always wanted ...

But I'll probably end up trying to save a load of money, and put it in a bank account. I don't plan on staying under my parent's roof forever :D

Either way, good luck with the job :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Originally posted by davebrownbass:

Dr. Sweet Willie got a really nice bass to celebrate his doctorate.

Yes, he certainly did! :D

Dave's advice is solid. Put something away, get a good bass and a good amp, nothing too "awesome", and play your ass off (when you're not at work...)!

Congrats on the new job...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Save your pennies... In time you'll get enough to get what you want. Try to get a few pay checks under your belt, you'll be surprised how far doubling your student wage doesn't go. Add taxes, and student loan payments and you'll see that it's really not all that much.

Congrats on your new job!!! I don't want to downplay that. I just started working after 13 months of searching. I've worked hard since the age of 12 and had a similar position to the new one for 11 years, so I'm not new to the game. I'm not sure how this job will work out and I took a slight pay cut and more expensive commute, but at least I'm working again. About a month after I was unemployed my amp died. Even though I had the $ I've resorted to only headphone play. To me it's uninspiring and my playing and motivation have suffered. Soon, I'll see how much it is to get it fixed or buy a new head, (un)luckily I only play for my own pleasure so the cost won't be too much.

Don't go into high interest (credit card) debt fot your gear. Pay with a credit card and pay it off immediatly.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by butcherNburn:

Don't go into high interest (credit card) debt fot your gear. Pay with a credit card and pay it off immediatly.

Even a low interest credit card can turn into a high interest card if you're late for even one payment. If you have any card(s), do what bNb says and pay them off every month on time. In addition to facing 25% interest -- I'd rather Guido just come over and break my legs -- it'll ruin your credit history. What's that mean? You'll still get a car loan (because the bank feels it can always repo if necessary), but you'll always pay higher interest on it than someone with good credit. And you might even have troubles getting a home mortgage at all; if you do, again you're paying more interest.

(I originally rambled on, then decided I was just being an old windbag, so I threw it all away.) :P

I'll just leave you with a question: How's your love life, how will it effect your life goals, your finances, and you as a musician? And, what is really, truly important to you. (Finance and music because that's what this thread is about.)

(And sorry, that was at least two questions.)

Archived