Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

LD offspring music appreciation thread:

saxofunk

There is probably at least one other thread on the LD bragging about the children of LD members, but me and my dial-up connection are having a hard time locating one. So here's your chance.

Of course, I'll start. ;)

I am getting the biggest kick out of my 4 year old, there's a surprise every day!

He has his usual selection of videos:

Bob the Builder

Kipper

Veggie Tales

Nemo

Ice Age

The other day he asks if he can watch "The rocket ship movie." That began a search for a video involving rockets, as none of his usual selections do.

Then, there it is! The only DVD with a rocket on the cover, Bela Fleck & The Flecktones: Live at the Quick!

My four year old digs it! I thought he was just being silly the first time, but we've watched it three times this week. He'll play during most of the music without paying much attention, but when the throat singer starts up the kid is mesmerized. This is so cool to me simply because I bought this DVD knowing that it would be the one I watch late at night, alone, after the kids and wife are in bed, because they won't appreciate it. The irony is, if I put in a Flecktones CD he will quickly shout it down and demand "his" music, which is a very annoying Sesame Street disc... but he's getting better about that too.

I'm just giddy with pride. I hope he and his funky little brother pick up on Vic's bass slight of hand, not the card tricks!

- Matt W.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cool story!

It was a moment of great pride for me when my 6 or 7 year old daughter told me that her favorite song was "What's Going On." She loves to watch Chaka Khan sing it on the Standing in the Shadows of Motown CD. Which is good, because I do too.

It's also a proud moment to hear my preschooler twins sitting in the back seat singing Sam Cook tunes.

:thu:

Great stories!

Here's my four year old

http://usera.imagecave.com/feilik/CNV00005-copy.jpg

He made a bass at nursery from junk but prefers mine. He loves to play so much, he got a blister.

At the moment he is into drums though after seeing 'They Might Be Giants' do 'D is for Drums' on his DVD.

I have a gig at his Nursery (Pre-School) barbecue soon, we're having to learn 'Bob the Builder' and 'Amarillo' alongside all the usual rock, reggae and jazz.

Cool!

My 12 year old daughter plays violin and loves to watch my "Kansas..Device-Voice-Drum" Concert DVD. The whole family pretty much enjoys my various concert DVDs. "Live at the Quick" is a fave as is Jethro Tull's "Living With The Past". My oldest daughter sat down and watched "Rising Low" with me one evening. After it was over she looked at me and said " I think I understand you a little better now.".... priceless! :D

My 9 yr old son is keen on drums. I have some sticks and I brought a practice pad for us (I'm interested too)to beat on. I'll be buying a kit soon. However, he isn't able to join band until next year so this year he decided to play cello in orchestra, he seems very excited about it..we'll see how it goes.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Archived