Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best value for a PowerAmp/Cabinet under 600 watts

FunkyLemz

Hey Guys, I was just wondering what you think are the best value (not crap nor something breaking the bank)poweramps and cabinets on the market. I looking for people who have tried it all (or many). I took some interest in the mesa powerhouse, swr goliath 111, eden xl, and ampeg bx. For power amps all I have seen are crown and qsc. These are stricky for a bassist wanting a powerful 4x10 setup with nice highs for slapping and poppin. Ill take any advice that can help.

Thanks, Mike

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Miiiiike! My good buddy, glad you finally stopped by the forum! Welcome.

I think you're going to get alot of suggestions to use the "search" button up at the top to narrow down your questions to things that haven't been covered much. If you want reviews on specific pieces of equipment you can search and probably find them.

The next reply you'll get alot of will probably be suggesting that you go with me to Bass Central and play anything and everything you can get your hands on to get a better feel for exactly what you like and what you want out of a rig.

I've also got a nice amp set up in my room that needs to be sold if you ever want to stop by to take it for a spin.

Again, welcome to the forum and we'll go to BC soon.

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Oh yeah, you should probably go with Davio to Bass Central and play anything and everything you can get your hands on to get a better feel for exactly what you like and what you want out of a rig.

Second that. Always best to bring a fellow bass player with you when going shopping for new gear. It keeps the salespeople from ganging up on you and whatever you both agree is hot is probably going to be what you end up buying.

(it's like women and shoes... :D )

If it were me I'd pick up davio personally and buy him lunch for his efforts. Maybe buy him a new guitar strap or cable to show him how much he's appreciated. Or one of jeremy's custom-designed t-shirts. But that's me. I treat my friends the way I like to be treated.

:thu:

PS: No complaints about the SWR Goliath III. (and it's not for sale either!)

Cabs on a budget?

Avatar all the way. No question, IMO.

As for power amp, in that price range you'll run into the heavier offerings on the market.

I'd look for an amp head instead of a power amp/pre amp deal.

I also would vote SWR off the top of my head, but I like my SWR.

You might prefer something else.

I say go with Davio to BC, or audition the amp he has for sale.

He seems capable of playing well with others :) .

Seriously, you could do worse than having an informed friend who can play along with you.

Some people would say you're lucky to have a cool and supportive friend like him to offer.

But then again, what do I know, you already know the guy. :D

Good luck, and welcome.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived