Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musicman Stingray Active/passive switch

skaren

Hello there

I wonder if someone could help me out with this.

I'm thinking of getting a fuzzpedal for my bass setup and have read that active basses in general aren't suited for the circuitry of most fuzz pedals. I only have this one bass, my baby, my red Musicman Stingray (which is active...doh!) and I need some fuzz! I read that some basses have a push/pull volume knob for switching between active and passive mode which could solve my problem. So does anyone know if such a solution would be possible for an active musicman stingray?

Cheers

Martin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no active/passive option from Ernie Ball for the Stingray's, but there might be an aftermarket option (maybe Seymour-Duncan?). That said, an SR is a sweet-sounding bass with lots of personality...I'd be very warry of doing any mods to it.

But first, why would an active bass not be suitable for fuzz? If it's too buzzy, roll off some highs either at the bass or at the pedal. I use distortion and overdrive with my SR5 periodically...I don't see any issue with it in regards to the active electronics. As far as believing things you've heard or read, don't take anything that anyone tells you as absolute truth (not even what I'm telling you now! :D )Take your fish with you to some stores and try out some bass buzz boxes...use your own ears and decide for yourself.

My inflation-adjusted $0.02,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Modifying the bass would not be a hard job. I think I could do it. However, you probably don't want ME to drill holes in your bass.

But it shouldn't be necessary.

All your pedals should work just as well with an active bass as with a passive.

I've got active passive switches on two of my basses and I don't notice that the position of the switch makes any difference when using effects.

if you got a passive pick up then you could just replace the volume pot with a push/pull pot of the same value.

wire the switch on the pot to bypass the preamp.

then you have an active/passive switch without having to drill a new hole in your bass.

but all and all i agree with jeremy c. i use passive, active/passive, and active basses. i notice no difference between them when using effects.

Just a thought, but I'm not sure that wiring the MM SR with a passive push/pull pot would work. I think I recall talking to someone at Ernie Ball about this once...the pickups are indeed passive, but seems like there was some reason that a passive switch wasn't available, but I don't remember why (really low output? unusually low output impedance?). You've got to figure if there was a big benefit to doing this and no issues to contend with, Ernie Ball would've already done it.

But again, I don't think you need it.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

I use a whole pile of effects including fuzz (EH Big Muff) and both my basses are active (passive pickup plus preamp in one, active pickups and preamp in the other). I've heard of Z-Vex Woolly Mammoths not getting on with active electronics but our esteemed Getz76 uses active basses with his.

Alex

You are all legends who have answered on my request! cheers! Alot of god tips.

I shold probably just try out a few different ones. I'm after a kinda slightly fuzzed bass sound with the low end still there. Anyone knows of a good pedal with a pot to control the balance between original and fuzzed sound.

Cherio

Martin

Studio Manager

www.thelondonrecordingstudios.com

JC speaks the truth.

However, as you're using an active bass you can take an alternative approach, which is to boost your lows with your onboard preamp whenever you kick on the fuzz. I've experimented with wet/dry blending with all my effects, particularly the fuzz, and have found that if you put the right tone into the pedal, use the right pedal and tweak it correctly you get a nice fat and coherent sound out at the other end.

So if you want true fuzz bass you don't want clean bass providing the lows because its envelope will be different - with 100% fuzz bass you'll get the deep lows sustaining through to the end of the note whilst with a mix of fuzz and clean the lows will fade away as the note sustains, resulting in a less fat sound. YMMV.

Alex

Archived