Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ashdown Superfly

Matt H

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I did a search for this puppy and this was the latest post. I'm thinking of one, as the price is a bit more reasonable now. Any thoughts by those who have one or have played one????

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I reviewed one last month for Bass Guitar Magazine and was very impressed. We had two models sent through, the standard 500W version and Mark King's personal one which was modded to 1000W. I gigged the latter model. It was easy to use, sounded great, was easy to carry around, has a voltage convertor, and it looked cool. Couldn't ask for more really.

As a bassist who gigs in many different countries with different voltages etc, I'm seriously thinking of getting one.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Stu

Woo hooo, great thoughts Stuart. I've been eyeing one of those for a while. Can't help but make the comparisons to Trace. Ever try one of those old 30 band graphics with the memories? Never quite the same I thought. Ashdown makes great gear, but I think the core sound is not for me. I have been interested in the Mark King heads and the Superfly mainly cause of the tweekablity of the graphic.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Do you have a link to directions on how to do this Mark King turbo-charging mod???

Will have to check if B.G. mag is still on the newstand.....

My car has a nine band EQ. It's hard to use when you're going 70 mph or in traffic.

Originally posted by Mike Bear:

Can't help but make the comparisons to Trace.

Apologies to Matt H for hijacking the thread, and apologies to Mike Bear for being picky about something that was probably a more general comment, I want to say something.

The new Trace amps are where you should go if you want Trace. One of their early designers (Paul) is the cheif designer now, so there is someone involved as a reference point and to "carry forward". I think it's not fair to expect Ashdown to replicate Trace. Same with Rick Turner and Alembic, Steve Rabe and SWR, etc.

As to the amp, I'll try to dig up Stuart's review. I'm interested in how the programming worked, and how easy it is to "change on the fly". This looks like a very different amp from the MAG and ABM lines.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Tom, I'm not insulted and you didn't hijack the thread. I owned a Trace head for years. It was perfect. Then at one point I just stopped working and it was always in the shop. I sent it to CT three times before I traded it in for something else. One of those sad situations where they couldn't get it to fail on the bench. I belive your suggestion is correct, and I do miss my old Trace.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

Oh. So what can you tell us about the Mark King modifications? Is this a kitchen table sort of mod for those with some soldering iron abilities, or stricktly for the pro's? Are the parts available for a reasonable cost or is it cheaper to just buy a bigger Markbass? Is this mod only for you 220 volters or will it work for us 110'ers? So many questions....Your secrets are safe with me, as I won't tell anyone.

Am I right that you can't run the Superfly bridged mono?

Peace

Paul K

• 1 month later...

The new 1000 watt Superfly has hit the Ashdown home page. Vague as to it being 1000wx1, or the more likely 500wx2. Stuart: which was it on your test drive model across the pond? Anyplace on line where we can read your review? Will the smaller/original Superfly remain as it is?

So many questions.....

The "old" Superfly can be had on MF for $399. It lists at just over $1,000. Pretty good deal. It's an interesting amp. I have tried other Ashdown amp sand I don't know that it's the tone for me. I think the progamable eq and comp settings are interesting. Nice size/weight for sure. 500 watts isn't bad.

Archived