Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

shipping instruments

Texian

Hey guys and gals. I'm about to sell some instruments on Ebay. I've never bought or sold a bass through ebay so I'm looking for suggestions on shipping. Shipper, packing, making sure the instrument makes it there in good shape, etc.

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the key to keeping things from damaging in shipping is to make sure that the item does not move inside the package. i've seen properly packed boxes full of crystal dropped down flights of stairs without so much as a nick in the daintiest champagne flute.

first wrap the thing tightly in bubble wrap. then stuff the bottom of your shipping box tightly with newspaper. place the tightly wrapped instrument in the box on top of the newspaper. then completely pack the remaining space in the box with newspaper. the ups guy should be able to drop kick the thing into the truck without hurting it.

wraub may know something about shipping. :D

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Welcome to the forum 73Rick! :wave:

(I used to own one of your namesakes from that year...)

Ace covered it well. To that I can add:

-boxes can be made out of old shipping boxes for large household appliances such as refrigerators or dishwashers. Go down to one of the local outlets and see if they'll let you cut up and drag a few out from their trash.

-some music stores will be glad to give you their old shipping boxes, some will expect "a little grease" for the privilege, and some will turn you down because they can't stand giving away anything for free. Ask around.

-always go with insurance. UPS has a bad habit in some locations (*cough-cough*jerseycity*cough*) of leaving a package with anyone who answers the doorbell or leaving it on the front porch where looters can spot it.

-check the UPS rates for gas surcharges and oversize parcel shipping rates. their online calculator is often good for that. eBay also offers an online shipping calculator, which I haven't used yet.

:wave:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

-always go with insurance. UPS has a bad habit in some locations (*cough-cough*jerseycity*cough*) of leaving a package with anyone who answers the doorbell or leaving it on the front porch where looters can spot it.

another way to handle that is to require a signature. it's a little known ups trick, ups offers the option of requiring a signature for delivery. in other words, if the driver doesn't personally hand it to someone who signs for it then he can't leave it. they don't really promote this option as it's easier and cheaper for them to just have a driver leave the package at your doorstep than bring it back to the depot and try to redeliver.

that said, the good ol' usps is a great way to ship. they offer competitive pricing and delivery options.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

And double box it! Insurance will not cover it, even if you've paid for it, if there's not at least 2 inches all the way around the instrument and not double boxed. Usually the case will suffice as the "second box." I've shipped several basses through UPS and had no problems. I always require a signature and always insure it for more than what I sold it for, so neither party is out any money for any fees if the bass is damaged or lost. Expect to pay at least $30 US for continental shipping, more for Alaska and Hawaii.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

wraub may know something about shipping. :D

Me? :)

Here's a few things I can add to the solid advice already here:

As for the carrier, the company where I work is a high-volume shipper with UPS. In our busiest time of the year (now) we ship around 1000 boxes a week with them, domestic and international.

We do have some issues, but they do seem to be occasional ones. IME, UPS has more damaged boxes, and FedEx has more lost ones. That's one of the reasons we ship UPS- at least we usually get the box back.

Delivery confirmation is a great idea, I use it when I ship personally. With UPS it's $2.00 extra for signature required- cheap insurance. As for actual insurance, with UPS it costs about 30 cents per hundred dollars, but the claims process has many hurdles.

FedEx has many parts due to acquisitions and consolidations,and deliveries going ground, air, and international may get different degrees of diligence as to delivery. This is also true to some degree with UPS, it's just worse with FedEx.

For packing, remember to cushion the instrument as much as possible. Bear in mind that impact on a package can do damage internally, even severe stuff, while the package looks relatively ok outside.

Consider both the effect on the instrument from impact, i.e dropping/throwing, and the "deccelaration trauma" that comes from, say, the neck of the instrument hitting something inside the case/ package.

Also bear in mind that a "fragile" sticker is seen a a challenge by some handlers. :)

Just some thoughts...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Archived