Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Music Man Tube heads

57pbass

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For awhile their big breaktrough (when they debuted in the 70s) was the use of solid state preamps with tube power amps. (If they only built them the other way around they would've been ahead of the curve. :D )

Then I think they went all solid-state. Then I think they just went away. Thank Leo someone else was in charge of the instrument division.

:wave:

I had a Music Man 1x15 cab that was from the late 70's/ early 80's. Sounded good, but was bigger than my tv and heavier than my bed.

Woulda been great for a recording/rehearsal room.

Got it as a gift (Thanks, Ken!), played it a bit, and sold it to finance (part of) my current rig.

Shipping it was the fun part. :)

I guess that's not much help to you, either.

Sorry. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I still have my MM HD 130. It's been through a load of crap and still works fine. Re-tubed only once. It's a good amp for its day. Yes it's only 130 watts, but that's tube watts. In the real world, it was just as loud as the SWR SM 400 that replaced it. The SWR has better low end definition and is a lot lighter. And yes the HD 130 is a backwards solid state pre and tube power section. But it still sounds like a tube amp.

Oops, I posted twice somehow. OK, I'll babble some more. Features: 2 separate channels with different EQ ( one has more low end than the other). Bass, mid & treble knobs for each channel that are active (I think). Gain & master volume, deep & bright switch, passive & active inputs. Runs @ 4 or 8 ohms (switchable).

I've never seen a bass one.

As Fred said, they had solid state preamps and tube power amps. (Right Said Fred)

One of my guitar player buddies has been using the same one for many years. He owns a lot of amps but nothing else seems to sound as good as his Music Man amp. (And this is a guy who sounds good out of anything).

Yes, they did...I played through an HD-500 and two MM 210 or 212 cabs once...talk about some major growl...it's low-mid snarl was somewhere between a lion and a mating crocodile :cool: . If I'm not mistaken, it had a tube pre-amp and solid state power amp section. Unlike my (fairly) neutral SWR, it had some pretty major tonal coloration (but not at all Ampeg-ish). It sounded fantastic IMHO...I was quite impressed. Wonder why on earth they stopped making them? Anyway, check the specs/etc. here:

Musicman amp archive stuff

And here's one for sale: Musicman HD500 amp on Ebay

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived