Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

DiscumBOBulatoriously happy! (Updated w/ soundclip!)

_Sweet Willie_

Ah, the glee!

At long last I now own an envelope filter. It's too phat and too funky -- but neither too phat nor too funky for me.

Thanks to a birthday gift (cash, baby, cash!), a gift certificate (like cash, baby, like cash!), and a few of my own dollars, I now own an EMMA Electronics DiscumBOBulator. I call it "Bob" for short.

Yes, you may have read a review by Bill Leigh in the August issue of BP w/ Darryl Jones on the cover. I concur with much of what he had to offer.

Bob sounds great and oozes the funk. Syrupy sweet funkiness. Groovalicious vibes. :cool:

Bob's controls are very intuitive, labeled accurately, and do what you would expect them to do. This is not true of all pedals, and I always appreciate simplicity and common sense in the relationships between labels and functions.

The controls also cover reasonable ranges. "Sensitivity," "width," and "attack" all cover a lot of sonic ground throughout their ranges. There are Boot-tastic sounds and electric organ-like sounds. There is subtlety and there is in-your-face vowelization. Bob is flexible.

Mmmmmm.

Simply put...I'm happy. Thanks, Bob! :D

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhat pricy, but not as high as a BassIQ.

$187 at MF. I've seen it advertised for less than $180 on the web. I went w/ MF because that's where the gift certificate I had was from.

I'm a newbie to using envelope filters, but this adventure with Bob has been a real joy so far. Bob gets along well with the Fish o' Luv, especially when the FoL is in single coil mode.

I've also realized how much Bob reacts to midrange. A bump in the midrange and a little favoring of the bridge pickup brings out the best in Bob. Yummy.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

BOB and I laid down a track yesterday. BOB performed wonderfully. I'm expecting a rough mix MP3 sometime today from mi amigo, Evan, whom some of you know and with whom I laid down said track. I'll try to get it posted here for all to hear when I can.

I know via PM that at least one LDLer is curious to hear how it sounds.

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

I was reading that BP review with a degree of interest, too.... my current gig plays a pretty wide variety of blues, soul, classic rock, funk, oldies, etc.... and since I've never figured out that Marcus Miller technique... I play that funky music like a REAL white boy... A gadget like this would make the ending of "Jungle Boogie" quite the sonic experience.. without my having to abandon my comfy fingerstyle... It is kinda pricey...but then I need a tax writeoff this year... maybe....

OK, I whipped up a little sumthin' w/ one of my boyz.

A l'il taste o' BOB >

Please note that currently there are 15 seconds of silence at the start of the clip. That will be remedied soon. This is a rough mix based on some stuff we threw down while just messin' around.

There are two tracks of BOBified bass. Signal chain:

SW --> Fish o' Luv --> BOB --> Class A preamp/DI --> MBox --> ProTools

Enjoy!

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

spreadluv

Nice, Sweets! I'm listening on a laptop...how much low-end does this guy chop off if any? I find that the envelope filter built into my BP-8 chops the lows quite a bit...

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

My big question, because I'm a sucker for the envelope filter... can it approach the "Sir Psycho Sexy" sound that graces the Blood Sugar Sex Majik album from one Red Hot Chili Peppers? That is a super bad envelope filter tone. From what I've read, it was an original Mutron with a nearly dead battery that gave it some extra distortion/overdrive to the sound. It makes my toes curl with glee.

From the sound sample, it does appear that Bob has it where it counts. My funk-o-meter is definitely dancing.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

... can it approach the "Sir Psycho Sexy" sound that graces the Blood Sugar Sex Majik album from one Red Hot Chili Peppers? That is a super bad envelope filter tone.

That's one of the first lines that I used to test it out. I haven't achieved that exact tone yet, but I've come close. Just for sh*ts and giggles I may pop in a used battery...

This is a sick, sick pedal.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Good Doctor, I must say, I agree with the opinions above.

Although appreciating any bass on my PCs speakers is a challenge, I can tell the funk is definitely brought.

I also think the pedal is the illin'est.

Worth that price tag, even.

Keep it stinky. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

A l\'il taste o\' BOB >

I felt something funny while listening to this, so afterwards I took a quick trip to the head and looked in the mirror...

:eek: HOO-AH! Grew full muttonchops and my 'fro was way out to HERE! Dy-no-MITE! Big improvement on the old Mu-Tron FX-sion, nearly did the down under on my new platforms. This is the swee-zille, Doctor-Wizzle! One up, B! :thu:

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

A l\'il taste o\' BOB >

Please note that currently there are 15 seconds of silence at the start of the clip. That will be remedied soon. This is a rough mix based on some stuff we threw down while just messin' around.

There are two tracks of BOBified bass. Signal chain:

SW --> Fish o' Luv --> BOB --> Class A preamp/DI --> MBox --> ProTools

Enjoy!

Peace.

--Doctor Luv

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

That does have some sweet aqua funkiness....

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by jeremy c:

(btw, my birthday is in two weeks)

Many happy returns of the day! (Well in advance in case I've forgotten in two weeks.) :thu:

You can't have my BOB (I dig it more every day), but I am willing to write a letter on your behalf to the luthier of your choice. Perhaps Michael Tobias? ;)

Peace. :cool:

--SW

spreadluv

• 2 weeks later...

Just got pointed here from another thread. Nice sample, Doc! Reminds me of the autowah setting on my Zoom, only much better. Are you controlling that thing like a wah, with a foot rocker pedal? (Yeah, I'm too lazy to look up the product specs.) :P

Oh, and you do know what a b.o.b. is, right? Of course, if you keep BOB in your bedroom and only use it when you're alone, I guess it is a fitting name. :)

They call me mellow yellow...

Great sound!

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

• 5 months later...

Any way to control that thing with a pedal?

I'm think about picking up a wah or envelope filter...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

How did I miss this thread the first time 'round? Not payin' enough attention I guess. That's some sweet saucy funky sound Dr. S! :D

Ten - I use the Morley wah pedal and really dig it. Two different wah sounds, though mine has really never left the "Funk" setting. After hearing this I find myself trying to figure out how to squeeze one more friend on my pedal board....and just when I had it all cinched up too, dang!

Archived