Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What do you know about OMFI?

Read a blurb at [url=http://www.cakewalknet.com/homeng.htm]CalwalkNet.com[/url] about Open Media Framework Interchange.(top of the page) Anyone familiar with this. Apparently it's a file conversion program. Wouldn't it be cool if you could convert Sonar files to Pro Tools files and vice versa easily?

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Open Media Framework Interchange format was developed principally by Avid & Digidesign, in 1993. It's currently supported by about 40 other manuf. as well, including Digital Performer, Logic Platinum 5, Soundscape, Sadie, AMS Audiofile, DAR, Apple QuickTime OMF Importer, Final Cut, Adobe After Effects, Commotion, Matrox. This is an interchange format, for multi-file projects that include session files plus separate audio & video files (like PT and other DAWs, you know?). It's supposed to serve a similar purpose to Standard MIDI Files (SMF), & like them generally does the job pretty well but the devil is in the details. Digi has provided the OMF Tool free for a long time to go between Avid & PT projects (even before they merged). What works much better is the Digi Translator prog, which costs $495. Obviously, most people using OMF are Post users, but I don't have any personal experience seeing it used with DP/Logic - I imagine it could be pretty cool for moving projects between these & PT. Interesting about OMF interchange is you can either export the OMF doc. (i.e., the session) & then transfer all the media files (audio/video) separately -which works pretty well if your DAW shares a network/server with the vid. workstation- or wrap everything up into a single enormous file, that then gets unfolded into the target workstation's format by the conversion utility.

Archived