Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hit me baby one more time: NBC Special

musicfiend

I'm not exactly enjoying this decade (what would you call it, "the zeroes"? :D ) and I have a feeling that history will just lump the last half of the 20th century as "the pre-terrorist age". IMHO the 80s was the "greed is good" decade. That sums it up well.

:(

Music aside, it hasn't been real since the 70s anyway.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

I'm not exactly enjoying this decade (what would you call it, "the zeroes"? :D

The Aughties.

http://www.google.com/search?q=aughties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oughties

It's also called "oughties" but I prefer a distinction between the words ought (meaning "should") and aught (meaning zero).

Originally posted by ClarkW:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

I'm not exactly enjoying this decade (what would you call it, "the zeroes"? :D

The Aughties.

http://www.google.com/search?q=aughties

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oughties

It's also called "oughties" but I prefer a distinction between the words ought (meaning "should") and aught (meaning zero).

And I thought I had trouble with English! :rolleyes:

(not you, ClarkW, it's the whole google/wikipedia thing.)

I watched last night.

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

the performers are getting up there and performing

The bassist for Cameo (Aaron Mills?) really put on a show. Now, first off, thank God someone puts their bass player up front on stage like that! We shouldn't be relagated to some dark corner. Second, he looks like a funk-slappin monster. Great stage show! However ...

When they came out to play the "recent" song, he was still slappin ... but I could have sworn I heard fingerstyle being played. Add to that the "magic" bass that kept playing even when he used his slapping hand to wave antically (zattaword?) to the audience. So ...

He was definitely performing, but he was just a definitely NOT playing. He wasn't the only one -- the Wang Chung guitarist was also pretty noticable -- but it had me laughing my arse off.

The sound was awful as usual. If anybody cared about the sound they would've fired the engineer by now. Obviously someone wants this show to sound this horrible.

Which is why my wife is happy (in retrospect) that her favorite band pulled out of this show. No exposure is better than the belittlement given by this show. If this was someone's first time hearing Wang Chung, for example, they'd wonder how they could have ever been popular (even their "hit" sounded weak), and would definitely make sure never to buy any of their music, new or old.

Originally posted by ClarkW:

The Aughties.

That reminds me of "The Beverly Hillbillies" where Jethro wanted to be a "double-Naught" spy. Great show, especially the early B&W ones, and it was a lot more intelligent than people think.

Naught is a pretty good variation as it implies nothingness.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

I watched last night.

Originally posted by Lee Knight:

the performers are getting up there and performing

The bassist for Cameo (Aaron Mills?) When they came out to play the "recent" song, he was still slappin ... but I could have sworn I heard fingerstyle being played. Add to that the "magic" bass that kept playing even when he used his slapping hand to wave antically (zattaword?) to the audience. So ...

He was definitely performing, but he was just a definitely NOT playing.

Reminds me of a concert back in the 80's on MTV- Tears for Fears. During "SHOUT" you see the bassplayer/singer singing and clapping, but hear this bass run go down. Behind the drum riser we see this other bass neck sticking up with hands moving on it. Nice to have a stunt bassist, I guess. Keeps the "star" from getting hurt.

:P

"Which is why my wife is happy (in retrospect) that her favorite band pulled out of this show."

So, which band would that be?

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I enjoyed most of the original songs, but I thought Wang Chun's pick of "hot in here" was weak. They didn't do a bad job though...

I thought Sophie B. Hawkins did an excellent job on Five for Fightings' "100 Years." Blew me out of the water!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Danzilla:

"Which is why my wife is happy (in retrospect) that her favorite band pulled out of this show."

So, which band would that be?

These local blokes. They were quieted by legal issues for about a decade (or more?), which is why they fell off the radar in their hayday. They still performed but couldn't release anything new during that time. Although their hit resurfaced recently on TV shows and ads (and they did have more than one hit), their new album (2003?) explores a slightly new direction. Still, the song they play in concert (yes, they still perform) that really drives the crowds crazy is still "What I Like About You".

Thanks for the "hint" and link. Legalism ruins music. May they have some success and respect for their new stuff.

However...

Can't wait to hear "Devil In Me" done on the next Shrek movie. (duck and cover)

NEW band Old band

I am not old enough to remember much about 80's music (I was born in 81). A large percentage is horrible.

I must say though, that on last week's show, I loved Howard Jones, the guy who sang that Dido song. He has a nice voice and the original song he played was good. I even ordered a live cd of his. Before the show, I had never heard of him.

And I think the host should be beaten with sticks and pelted with lunch meat.

Insert inaccurate quote here

Originally posted by justinruins:

And I think the host should be beaten with sticks and pelted with lunch meat.

Don't waist your lunch meat.

I was in the keys last week and missed the show...and I am still recovering. How's my typing?

Cool to get an update, but who won?

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." - Al Capone

http://www.spookhouse.tv

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Paul_Martini

Hey Spooky,

Last week was the last episode of the NBC "test run". Wang Chung, Howard Jones, Sophie B. Hawkins, Cameo, Irene Cara (with her band "Hot Caramel"!!)

Irene Cara won. She had a lot of fun performing "Flashdance-What a Feeling" and the crowd ate it up. Her voice was a bit tattered but, her energy was good.

All the "bands" used tracks.

The host was quite annoying.

In other words, it was a typical episode.

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Originally posted by tucker71:

Hey Spooky,

Last week was the last episode of the NBC "test run". Wang Chung, Howard Jones, Sophie B. Hawkins, Cameo, Irene Cara (with her band "Hot Caramel"!!)

Irene Cara won. She had a lot of fun performing "Flashdance-What a Feeling" and the crowd ate it up. Her voice was a bit tattered but, her energy was good.

All the "bands" used tracks.

The host was quite annoying.

In other words, it was a typical episode.

Yeah but......damn, wasn't Irene Cara still hot or what??!!
www.myspace.com/thefunkfather

After Irene Cara performed I expected on Friday to see pics of Spooky with her "Off the shoulder sweater" on....

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

As with everything on this (or any other message board) we are all entitled to our own opinions. Having said that....

What the HELL is everyone talking aboot when they say "the sound is bad" on this show?

My first tip-off ( a few weeks ago) that the bands were using tracks was that the sound is STUDIO PERFECT. The instruments are perfectly mixed. The balance between them is spot on. In fact...The Knack was definitely using the original tracks from their original recording. Harmonies and all! Only the lead vocal mike is hot.

(Of course, my 2nd tip-off was that the musicians were obviously "hand-synching").

If I had to complain aboot ANYTHING, it would be that the (live) lead vocal and the fake crowd noise were mixed too high, dry, and upfront. But then again, those are the elements that the show is using to try to recreate each bands original "mania". Boosting the canned applause is the only way to convey it. (along with CONSTANTLY tilting the camera to simulate that "you are there" vibe)

Maybe my experiences are different. My Father (and now my older brother) both work in the main Post-Audio Suite for NBCtv at the NYC facility at 30Rock. I just dont see how this show could be mixed any other way. It sounds like a standard broadcast quality audio to my ears.

For the people who hate the broadcast mix, my question is....what needs to be changed??!

Sorry for the rant, but I am honestly curious about this one.

Sorry, what I noticed about the mix that sounded "bad" were the tones of some instruments and the levels of each instrument.

The bass tone seemed to have a lot of midrange punch, but no bottom end or top end to it. It seemed kind of one dimensional, as did the other instruments...particularly some of the distorted guitars. Some of the guitar also seemed to be low in the mix to my ears, I otice this particularly in the motels set. During their song, the synth was just amazingly loud as well.

I have to clarify that I am judging based on the 15 MINUTES I saw, I have not watched since.

I did not mean to offend anybody with this post, and I must say tucker...most of what you say does ring true. The sound was just not appealing to me, it might have been studio perfect, but the tones used just were not appealing and to me they sounded like tones affected by poor room acoustics.

Maybe I should go back and watch the show again...chances at this point are that I was wrong.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

My first thought about the sound, which I've held till now, is: are you listening to it through a home stereo/theater setup, or just a regular TV speaker(s)? The later would certainly give sub-par sound quality.

NEW band Old band

Oh...I wasn't at all offended. It's not like my Dad mixed it! He just happens to have the same job here on the East Coast as the guy who did the show in LA.

Actually, the whole "guitars being too low" observation is fairly estute. I mean, the guitars compete for ear-space with the lead vox so, they either lowered the geets or raised the vox...either way, I suppose they could've been nudged up. Add in all that applause and you've yerself a ton of mids eating up that whole range.

I still thought it sounded spot-on but, at least I now know what people are referring to.

I guess I really did rant earlier. Sorry aboot that. No hards.

Danzilla- I've got sony 5.1 with a nice sub, it sounds fine for everything else.

Tucker-The applause, guitar, and vox do compete for the same range...so the whole predicament is making sense for my now, I suppose.

Maybe all I'm hering is the dated sound of eighties tone.....

I wouldn't say that you had a rant, nothing to be sorry about, and no hard feelings.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

After Irene Cara performed I expected on Friday to see pics of Spooky with her "Off the shoulder sweater" on....

Oh, you didn't see the pictures. ha, ha, ha......it's too hot in Florida for sweaters....mine are made of cotton kind. :)

"You can go a long way with a smile. You can go a lot farther with a smile and a gun." - Al Capone

http://www.spookhouse.tv

http://www.garageband.com/artist/Paul_Martini

Archived