Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

...so now I'm a friggin' writer

Cthulhu Fhtagn

I'm back in Columbus, OH last weekend to watch my daughter graduate with her B.A. in Bio with a forensics option (and I'm DAMNED proud of her). I spend a couple of days down Nelsonville way with my son. We spend some time jammin' together (he on the six, me on the four). He eventually tells me he and his crew have cut an album (don't get agitated, he goes to a technical college with a sound studio and technical degrees for recroding and such so it's not like an Atlantic or Epic contract). So they have three songs with no bass line and my son asks if I can help out.

As he plays the riffs, I watched his index finger of his fret hand and use that as a root note to play the bass line. In not time at all, I was grinding out root eights, then locking with the drum line from the CD.

His other guitarist (and bassist) and his lead singer are over, so we hit the studio and and help the guy with some licks. The first song on the album, they let me play the bass over.

OK, so they are a "Slipknot" type, pound it out and scream the word F**K a lot band (possibly a really bad Slipknot type band, but who can tell? See other threads on this board, I have my opinion) and I start out on the first and second versus with roots and thirds. On the third and last, I start pulling some Geezer-esque (yes, it's a word. Look it up!) chord arpeggios running into the refrain and it really started to work for me.

So now, I have writing credits on three songs and playing credits on one. And if you ever see a really old, fat, hairy guy with bad knees and no natural rhythm on bass for a Slipknot cover band, there ya go!

We are available for partys, weddings, christenings and Bar-mitzvahs.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PS - Anyone know the owner of BassNW? I was sitting in front of his parents on the plane from Chicago to Seattle. First damned time I took the axe on a plane in the gig bag and had anyone ask "what kind of BASS is that"?

He's got a couple of cool folks!!!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived