Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tapered Low B

The Geoff

So I'm pretty new to all this Bass stuff - don't get me wrong, I really enjoy playing it - but I've a lot to learn, although I've been playing G****r for 40 years. They look the same, but there's big differences I'm finding out as I go along.

I got a set of new Lakland Formula-G Custom roundwounds off eBay UK for a very decent price. They are unused and perfect, BUT the low B is tapered at BOTH ends.

This is the first time I've come across this. It rather took me aback, as the heavy part of the string terminates just beyond the bridge pickup (which, I suppose, is OK).

Any pro's/con's on this? Any comments at all?

(I did do a search, but didn't seem to find anything)

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pros: More high-end, easier to intonate, extra clarity in general.

Cons: Less thump and resonance. You'll need to raise that bridge saddle.

Which works best depends on the sound you want and the bass you're playing. For instance, my Warwick prefers non-tapered strings, whilst my Hohner is better with tapered ones (the E and A strings in this 4-string example).

Alex

Actually, Alex, it's a Hohner Pro JJ Bass I'm considering downstringing to BEAD. I play bass in a blues band and rarely make it up to the G string, but use the B quite often when playing my 5. That's why I'm considering the adaption.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

G'day Geoff,

I bought a set of (cheap) strings that had a tapered B at the nut. Very annoying. I had to fill the slot with a mixture of super glue and shavings of plastic. It did effect the clarity of the string so I was glad to change back.

I've never tried a tapered set (at the bridge), I'd be interested in having a go though...

Hi Dave (you're up late)

These strings are more than long enough - in fact, if you think of the brass nut at the tailpiece, then the full weight of the string starts at about 2.5", and runs all the way to *beyond* the 1st Machine head. I'm wondering if it is intended for both thru body stringing and a 35" scale.

Reading about your experience, I think I'd have got another nut - that's what I'm doing with this one. Before I open out the plastic nut to accept the B etc. I'm going to cut a new nut to the original specs, so I can go back to what I had. I've ordered a brass nut for that, and it should be an improvement.

Geoff

Geoff- I just got 5 sets of those strings, came with the Lakland Darryl Jones 5-string I won. Yes, The B-string is the only one tapered; and they say it's mainly for the through-body stringing, and for clarity. I didn't notice the taper on the upper end, though; I'll have to look at that. Anyway, on the DJ bass, that string sounds amazing. Full, taught, even balance with the other strings. No mush, but not all overtones, either. Slap 'em on and have a go at it!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Magic!!

I've ordered a new bridge for my JJ to replace the bent metal. It can handle top load or through the body. Maybe I should bite the bullit and bore the holes? These strings sound promising.

The reason I had a go at winning them (successfully on eBay) was the comparative tone chart Here which shows that, tonally, they have a very even frequency-spread and its the middle/bottom area my JJ bass needs.

Thanks for the info.

G.

Archived