Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I have a new job now so....

WCunha

I bought my self this:

http://www.basscentral.com/basscombo/dingwall/AB2_BUB_POM_tn.jpg

Afterburner II 5 String, Walnut Body w/Bubinga Pomele Top.

I should have it in a couple of days. Give me some time to do a review. You know new job, 4 month old baby, and last but not least my wife. When I get it I'll take some pictures but, I would need someone to host them.

Oh boy this going to be great :D

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wade!!! You madman! Send the pictures over! Or better yet, come over with it and we can record some clips!

I'm glad you got the II. The Bubinga Pomelle will match the Thumb, so feel free to leave it here anytime. :D

"For instance" is not proof.

On work:

"They say hard work never hurt anybody, but I figure why take the chance" - Ronald Reagan

"Pennies do not come from heaven. They have to be earned here on earth." - Margaret Thatcher

Davo

"We will make you bob your head whether you want to or not". - David Sisk

Rock on... I think everyone should buy a new bass when they get a new job. I did, you did, good enough for a hypothesis.

New Job + New Bass = Good Times.

Well I received it today. I have not had a chance to put it through its paces yet but, I have spent a little time playing it.

First off the craftsmanship is top notch. It put together very well. No gaps, nothing loose, and the finish is perfect. The battery box is an awesome design. All batteries should be this easy to access. The fret work is perfect. You can run your hand down either side of the neck and it is smooth.

The fanned frets are easy to get used to. It takes only but a couple of minutes to get used to them.

String tension is exactly the same from string to string. I think I personally would like a medium gauge string to increase the tension a bit. I tcomes with the Dingwall light gauge set.

The action it came with is a little high for me. I have emailed Sheldon on how to lower the action properly.

The neck is smooth and fast. The oil finish feels very nice on my thunb as I move my left hand up and down the neck. Also, I have small hands and the lower register is not much more of a stretch than my 34" scale P bass. If at all.

I really haven't had a chance to play it through my rig yet but, this is my experience thus far.

The passive tone that I liked the best was both pickups in series. It almost has an active sound to it.

The Aguliar OBP-1 is boost only bass and treble and seems it will be useful. The only problem with it and preamps is that it increases your output thus inceasing your volume. Just a minor adjustment of the onboard volume and that fixes that.

The bluEQube I have only found useful for taking the bite out of my pick playing. I really don't think I have much use for that feature for fingerstyle playing and definatly not useful for slap.

Feel free to ask any questions. If me and 0-9 get together I might be able to post some sound clips. But, if I do I don't want to hear any comments on my playing :D unless its good.

Wade

Wait a minute. Lemme get this straight.

You're married . . . you have a reasonably fresh infant . . . you just got a new job . . . and you just bought this incredibly beautiful hand crafted instrument.

Where did I go wrong? :confused:

Honey!?!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by mattulator:

Wait a minute. Lemme get this straight.

You're married . . . you have a reasonably fresh infant . . . you just got a new job . . . and you just bought this incredibly beautiful hand crafted instrument.

Where did I go wrong? :confused:

Honey!?!

:D

I am so jealous!! :P

How about some sound clips?????

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Congrats to you on the purchase! I am somewhat jealous, as I have been craving pretty much that exact model. Mine would probably be green, though...

I have determined that a Dingwall will be my next bass, when the time comes. Between the logic of the design, and the feel of the instrument, I am sold. Fan-frets rule!

Please post your follow-up impressions, and sound clips too.

I promise no "playing-related" comments. :)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by WCunha:

If me and 0-9 get together I might be able to post some sound clips. But, if I do I don't want to hear any comments on my playing :D unless its good.

So put some bad clips up. We don't care - we just want to hear the clear tones of that thing.

Best of luck - I've had my hands on a few of these things, and you won't be disappointed. Superb craftsmanship - a fine instrument.

Enjoy :thu:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have finally decided to get one of these. Subject to the arrival of a bonus, at some point this year I will be acquiring an Afterburner II 6-string with OBP-3.

And thanks to the USD/GBP exchange rate situation, it will be coming direct from the USA so should be relatively bargainous - shame I'll have to suffer the fear of Fedex et al destroying it enroute...

That is, of course, unless you're not too convinced by yours, Wade!

Alex

Originally posted by EddiePlaysBass:

That is one nice bass !! Congrats !! Now where are those sound clips?

I couldn't agree more! Bad playing is not only excused, it's expected after all this procrastination!

Dingwall GAS subsiding thanks to getting down to some music and thinking "ah, maybe four strings is enough..." We'll see how long that'll last. Then again, an AI Focus 2R (paired with one of my Acmes) would make a handy bass and vocal rig for low volume gigs.

Alex

Alex I'm definately convinced. The only thing I would do different is an OBP-3 instead of the OBP-1.

Although the one is pretty useful and sounds good for a two band boost only preamp.

Anyone know the frequency of the OBP-1?

Wade

Alex I'm definately convinced. The only thing I would do different is an OBP-3 instead of the OBP-1.

I was briefly thinking of going all passive until I realised that I can't do without the bass CUT that onboard EQ can provide - essential to get certain chordal parts sounding musical.

Anyone know the frequency of the OBP-1?

The bass control is at 40Hz, the treble control at 4kHz. The OBP-3 has the same bass voicing but with cut as well as boost, but the treble isn't as well voiced IMO, being at 6.5kHz which brings out more air than snap.

I'd really appreciate some clips, particularly as you and I have near identical rigs. (Then again, you may tip me over the edge from which I'd just retreated...)

How's the balance btw?

Alex

Archived