Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another Jaco legend and going fretless

Robitaille59

OK cool thanks guys. I'm gonna break out my palm sander and just level the thing. Grab a fine brush, and start schlackin'. Maybe I'll use painters tape for the edges where the rosewood meets the maple, and put a little schlack on the sides. I'm thinkin at least 3 coats for the top of the fingerboard.

Maybe I'll mark the frets, maybe not. I like the permanent marker idea.

I'll post some pics when I'm done...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rick Hoffman:

OK cool thanks guys. I'm gonna break out my palm sander and just level the thing. Grab a fine brush, and start schlackin'.

Shellac. Ahem. :)

When I did my conversion, I pulled the frets with a Stew Mac fret pulling tool, filled the slots with maple, and sanded away.

I did reassemble the bass, mainly to see if I was on the right track, and have now gigged with it. It's a lot of fun, although I am having a hard time finding a set-up I like.

I am still mulling whether or not to apply a floor-type varnish, as I like the feel of the ebony so much, and probably won't use roundwounds on it. And yet I am still tempted...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Man, you guys talk about guitarists being out of control! :D I'm reading all these post by guys who've taken perfectly good fretted bass necks and ripped the frets out with a)pliers, b)screwdriver, c)Swiss Army knife, d)bottle opener. And then recommending these procedures to others! How do guys even walk, given how huge your cojones must be?

Glad it's worked out for y'all, that's all I can say. I could never bring myself to do it. :eek:

Originally posted by chad:

Man, you guys talk about guitarists being out of control! :D I'm reading all these post by guys who've taken perfectly good fretted bass necks and ripped the frets out with a)pliers, b)screwdriver, c)Swiss Army knife, d)bottle opener. And then recommending these procedures to others! How do guys even walk, given how huge your cojones must be?

Glad it's worked out for y'all, that's all I can say. I could never bring myself to do it. :eek:

Adopt, adapt, and improve.

The motto of The Round Table. ;)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Hahaha, oh man. You guys are too much.

I went out and got some SHELLAC and applied a couple of coats already, sanding in between. It's coming out much better than I expected.

In fact, I had my neck with me all day as I was running around, getting the stuff I needed. As I stopped for some lunch at a chinese place, a well-dressed man gets out of a Jaguar and notices me and my Squier neck.

He asks if it's a Fender neck, I reply, we get into some conversation. Turns out he used to build guitars way back in the day-he named some places but I never heard of them. He commented on my work and said it should play nice. The guy's name was Tito, he owns a producing company somewhere in Port Jeff.

We exchanged phone numbers and I'm supposed to let him know how this bass sounds when I'm done. He also asked if I could do some carpentry work for him. Maybe in exchange for free use of his studio in Port Jeff...

*UPDATE*

I finished the project. I need to set it up, but right off the bat it played nice. Sounds really cool. I just need to lower the action a little bit. The finish seems to be working out. When I'm feeling motivated I'll start a new thread with pics.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by getz76:

Originally posted by justinruins:

As far as the Jesus comment goes, while I am not a Christian, I don't understand why you would want to offend those who are. At least the inappropriate Jaco comment has some relevance to a bass forum.

I agree, why would you want to offend a Christian by implying Jaco was somehow as sacred as Christ?
By the 'you' in your reply, I hope you weren't referring to me, because I'm not the one who said that you might as well insult mothers and Jesus (which is the only comparison I've seen in this thread of Jaco to Jesus).

Whether it's a joke about Jesus being crucified or Jaco getting beaten to death (of which you made both), it's in poor taste.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the tragic death of anyone is not particularly funny.

But if you like, continue to criticize me for taking you to task for making inappropriate comments.

Insert inaccurate quote here

Originally posted by getz76:

Are you the same person who doesn't laugh at South Park? I knew there was at least one.

I originally posted an angry response, but deleted it because I decided not to stoop to your level and act like a child. I don't know why I'm posting this, because obviously you are not big enough to admit that you were wrong. I give up.
Insert inaccurate quote here

How about a Michael Jackson joke? Would that be acceptable? How about joking about Hunter S. Thompson eating a .45 for an early evening snack?

Lighten up and get off my back. If you are that sensitive, how do you handle life?

Archived