Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roscoe Beck 5 vs American Deluxe 5 or FMT V?

bassartist

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like you are into the fender basses, if I were seriously looking at fender five strings I'f probably look at the marcus miller signature 5 string. apparently he spent a lot of time in the design process with a guy from fender; and, come on, that thing just LOOKS funky.

If I were still looking at fender 5's though, i'd be looking at sadowsky's, lull's, and laklands (as well?).

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Well, the skyline and the metro are two viable options. I would not be suprised if a metro and skyline competed with a fender 5. Mike lull, as I understand has prices that are more reasonable than lakland or sadowky.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

I always read these "this or that" threads very closely when it involves Fender Basses.

For many many years, I have been wondering about the ACTUAL differences in Fender Basses. Mainly because they have about 100 different models.

Take any Fender Jazz Bass with a Badass bridge. Now add two US Jazz pickups. Is it now a Geddy Lee? How does it differ (sonically)?

I mean, are the differences in the "Time Machine Series" and the "Custom Classic Series" really noticable? Are they solely cosmetic?

I always end up asking this one question:

if you closed your eyes and LISTENED...how obvious would those differences really be?

I guess that's why it's so hard for me to part with several THOUSAND dollars for a vintage instrument when all the reviews for the new Mike Dirnt Pbass claim that it's one of the best basses out there AND IT'S ONLY 800 BUCKS!

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

Well, recently I had the pleasure of playing a 65 pbass (sunburst/rosewood)....man, there is a difference. I'm telling you, this bass sang like no other bass I have ever held. I was playing that baby for a couple of hourse in the hollywood gc vintage room's loft area. It played like butter too, low action, singing sustain, a nice sweet treble respopnse and tight low bass. And THAT NECK, man, somebody cured it just right.

In many areas I FULLY disagree with the values upheld in the vintage market. But I think that the said bass was worth every penny. Now, if only I had every penny!

Even though I am a big advocate of the Roscoe Beck 5 string, I think the Marcus Miller 5 might be much better suited to the task. The slap technique is such a big part of Marcus's sound that the bass has to be well suited to slapping.

As for other, all around uses, I'd still go with the Roscoe Beck. I love mine.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The marcus bass has wide string spacing at the bridge for slapability I beleive. You can find a lot of info on his website, there is a section dedicated to the fivestring. The deal with that bass is that it started from the ground up. The four string version was pretty much a copy of marcus' bass. The five string ,however, had many new refinements and design aspects: the designed a new preamp (or preamp frequency nominals), they tested for a nice bridge, the messed with fingerboard radius and string spacing, etc.

Archived