Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Mike Keneally Band on tour NOW: Just GO.

Yogi

The Mike Keneally Band started it's current tour here in Seattle last night, and are heading down the west coast through California next week, before eventually turning into the midwest and east coast in June.

Just go, and be schooled. Any bassist in this forum would be blown away by Bryan Beller's playing (on acoustic and electric bass). The show here in Seattle last night was phenominal and inspiring.

Info here.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely must concur. You sure wouldn't think that it was a first night from how well they played. That band is just scary. Beller never ceases to inspire the hell out of me. That guy is an amazing player that just knows all the right notes to play at all the right times.

I stuck the setlist on my website HERE.

After the show, I heard LizzyD mutter the words, "I think I gotta get me one of them Mike Lull basses, but purple" :D

Sigh also.

I am afraid that Ohio is just not close enough to Brooklyn for me to make this event happen personally.

Sounds like it will be most heavy...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

After the show, I heard LizzyD mutter the words, "I think I gotta get me one of them Mike Lull basses, but purple" :D

Mmm hmmm, oh yeah. Not that I wasn't already thinkin' about it.

Killer show. I agree about the amazingness of Mr. Beller. I was fortunate to be sitting in a place where his rig was pointing right at me, and it was a good sound, yes it was. :D

http://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/Bryan1.jpghttp://members.aol.com/jeremyzone1/Bryan2.jpg

OK, I went last night. There was some pretty amazing and unique playing.

The Henry Kaiser Band opened. Henry is a legend around here and can play anything. He chose to spend his hour getting more sounds out of his guitar than should be possible.

Then finally at 11:00, The Mike Keneally Band came on. I don't think I can really describe the music they play. It's virtuostic without being bombastic, it's good-humored, it's unusual and yet accessible.

Any fans of progressive rock should love it.

I had not heard Bryan before. I've read his columns and met him in his role as an SWR employee. He's a very funny guy and nice to hang with.

And now after hearing him, he can play! He grooved on music which doesn't naturally groove, he soloed formidably, he played all kind of complex unison lines with Mike, he improvised along with the drummer in odd time signatures behind Mike's soloing, he hopped around the stage, and he had a great sound. He was playing a Mike Lull 5 string through an SWR Mo'Bass and two SWR 4x10 cabinets.

And he says hi to the Seattlites here, Bumpcity, LizzyD, Yogi.

Wow, that's cool, Jeremy!

I ALMOST came down to the San Fran show myself, since I drove down to Arcata to see the SECOND show after the first one fried my brain. If I hadn't needed to be home TONIGHT (Episode 3 Premiere!!!! YES!) I would have followed the band all the way to Santa Monica.

I posted a whole bunch of pics from the Arcata/McKinleyville show at my .Blog (HINT: Some of the photos are LINKS to MOVIES - folks seem to be missing that). If you watch the movies, you should get a hint at what you'll see if you go. This band is just incredible.

"Expectations are the enemy of music." - Mike Keneally

Hi! My band is... my band is... HALF ZAFTIG | Half Zaftig on MySpace | The Solo Stuff

Archived