Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Usable frequency range: what numbers to look for in a cab for 5 string?

bassdrummer

For open B, what numbers do you suggest I look for in a cab in terms of low frequency Hz?

Avatar's B210 Neo cab has Eminence Neo speakers. The Eminence web site says that these speakers have a usable frequency range going down to 40 Hz. Good for low B string?

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ampeg SVT-410HLF or PR-410HLF

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

Ampeg SVT-410HLF or PR-410HLF

Great cabs with a"useable frequency" (usually defined as the -10 dB point) of 29 hz. On the cheap, the Peavey 4X10 TVX is rated at 30, probably the cheapest cab to obtain these levels. Most 4X10's are around 40. Remember that the 2nd harmonic on the B is probably what you notice most so even if the cab doesn't extend down to 30, it's not like you can't hear the B string.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Hey Bassdrummer. I to am a bass/drummer. Low B is @ 30.9Hz. May I recommend The Carvin BRX cabs (BRX10 or BRX12). The 10 goes to 26Hz & the 12 goes down to 30Hz. I have the BRX12. Everything from low E to low B is really nice. There is a review in BassPlayer mag this mo & on the website I believe. The neg: handles being mounted to low can be overcome by turning the handle upside down. The screw holes match up perfectly.

Good information; thanks all.

Tenstrum, what's the difference between those two Ampeg cabs?

Lug, what's the going "street price" for those Peavey 4x10 TVX cabs?

PAYSON, I had no idea that low B is THAT LOW! 30.9 Hz? Wow! out of curiosity, what head are you using with your Carvin BRX cabs? ps glad to meet another bass/drummer!

:thu:

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

Originally posted by bassdrummer:

Good information; thanks all.

Tenstrum, what's the difference between those two Ampeg cabs?

Lug, what's the going "street price" for those Peavey 4x10 TVX cabs?

PAYSON, I had no idea that low B is THAT LOW! 30.9 Hz? Wow! out of curiosity, what head are you using with your Carvin BRX cabs? ps glad to meet another bass/drummer!

:thu:

They are only about $450 new so I would guess around $300 or less used in mint. I've bought an older 4X10 TX for around $200 (same speakers with different crossover/port design) Both have great botttom end but the TVX has better mids, less "compressed" sounding.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived