Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a sad, sad day.

The Fonz

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PanicYou,

But as a young musician i am forced to go with the cheaper product. Whether its behringer or some other company. Is it wrong? sure it is but people have been stealing business ideas since the beggining of time i really dont think it can be changed?
Maybe they all have the same attitude as you.

the building is owned by someone else and he ain't sellin'. besides, they're not closing because of their "$1,000,000 a month" rent (it's actually more in the lines of $40,000 a month). cb's could handle their rent if they chose too. they could more than likely work out something for their back rent if the landlord still wanted them there (which he doesn't). the real sticking point is that the place is a death trap. the list of fire and safety violations against that place is longer than i am, and the renovations would be cost prohibitive.

cb's will reopen somewhere else. the loss here is in the fact that place itself, the place where so many bands got their start, where mick jagger used to hang to hear new music, is closing. i'm just hoping they don't sell out and take the metric ass-load of money they were offered to open in vegas.

Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

how do you convert a metric ass load to an american ass load?

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

They can't actually move CBGB's. All they would be moving is the brand name. The original venue has tremendous importance in rock and roll history. Punk was born there and numerous legendary bands got their start there.

I'm not saying the won't attempt to move it, but it would be a completely meaningless gesture, IMHO.

Originally posted by Shaggy8900:

well thank god ive never heard of this place, otherwise i might be sad right now....no one likes being sad

Then why bother to post about it?
Insert inaccurate quote here

Originally posted by Quinn:

They can't actually move CBGB's. All they would be moving is the brand name. The original venue has tremendous importance in rock and roll history. Punk was born there and numerous legendary bands got their start there.

I'm not saying the won't attempt to move it, but it would be a completely meaningless gesture, IMHO.

well, the functionality of the club would still be intact. and the fact is that cb's is still the only club where you could win over a crowd by being good. the awesome sound guy and p.a. would still be there. et cetera.

Originally posted by Shaggy8900:

well thank god ive never heard of this place, otherwise i might be sad right now....no one likes being sad

the launching pad for the ramones, the talking heads, blondie, living colour, and the home base for the entire nyc hardcore movement.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

Originally posted by Ace Cracker:

well, the functionality of the club would still be intact. and the fact is that cb's is still the only club where you could win over a crowd by being good. the awesome sound guy and p.a. would still be there. et cetera.

Well put, E. The crowd did make that place.

I'm glad I went there a few times in my youth. Ah, Sunday matinee's...

My favorite memory was actually outside the club. In the late 80's a bunch of people were in front, some mocking everyone that was going by until one of them pointed down the block and said "Hey look at that Ramones wanna be!! As the person drew closer, everyone realized it was actually Joey Ramone.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by Quinn:

Actually, if they wanted to, the Smithsonian could move the front of the club and reconstruct it as a museum exhibit. I've seen similar things done at the Washington, DC museums and it's a matter of funding and historical importance. Basically, it comes down to funding.

:wave:

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Actually, if they wanted to, the Smithsonian could move the front of the club and reconstruct it as a museum exhibit. I've seen similar things done at the Washington, DC museums and it's a matter of funding and historical importance. Basically, it comes down to funding.

:wave: [/QB]

True, but can they move the men's room and keep the ambience?
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

somebody call mick jagger.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

I know the significance of this club and it is too bad that it is going to be destroyed. However I can't see how the destruction of one club is a major blow to the music scene in New York. There millions of people that live in that city and countless other clubs. I'm sure the music will still continue.

This thread struck such a chord with me, I had to plaguarize it and post a bulletin about it on Myspace. My band has played there before many times in the past, but not with the current line up.

I never made it there, oh well. I wonder if any other club in NYC will step up for live music.

So another legendary live music establishment bites the dust. What a shame.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Even though I haven't been there in many, many years, I could always tell myself that I was going to go there again. I even made tentative plans a few times. Now I know that it's no longer possible.

Another piece of my youth fades away.

silver32012 is right. The music scene all over the world has survived the demise of many legendary venues. That doesn't make the death of CBGB's suck any less.

Push the button Frank.

Originally posted by silver32012:

I know the significance of this club and it is too bad that it is going to be destroyed. However I can't see how the destruction of one club is a major blow to the music scene in New York. There millions of people that live in that city and countless other clubs. I'm sure the music will still continue.

you don't understand the music scene in nyc. scene being the operative word. people who go to shows here go to see friends bands and are "too cool" to get caught liking the band before them or after them. cb's was the one place you could play where you had a shot at winning the crowd with a good set. reason being people go there because it's CBGB and they just want to see whatever's going on. they want to have a good time so they usually wind up liking what they see.

yes, the music scene in nyc will continue. even though no one goes to see live music. there is simply too much out there and most of it sucks. no one wants to pony up a $10 cover to see some band that will probably suck play for 30 minutes. and i can't blame them. thus, as a musician in a band, losing cb's is, well, there really are no words for it.

Originally posted by kenfxj:

Even though I haven't been there in many, many years, I could always tell myself that I was going to go there again. I even made tentative plans a few times. Now I know that it's no longer possible.

hey, they still have their lease through the end of the year. plenty of shows to see in the next six months, and then the inevitable cavalcade of stars and "last show at CBGB" reunions. get off yer butt and see something.
Eeeeeehhhhhhhhh.

• 1 year later...

Archived