Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Will This Plug-in Make Me Smarter?

It is time to pay the Cakewalk people for another upgrade. A long time ago I stopped buying the Deluxe/XL/whatever versions because the add-ons didn't do a lot for me, but that Sonic Timeworks EQ plugin that comes with SONAR XL is interesting. Says here (squints at advertizing hype) that it's an EQ with a built-in spectrum analyzer. Question to all gurus: would the analyzer let me see, literally, that my synth pad and guitar sound both have a lot of energy in the same frequency range? Thus helping me to see why the mix is getting muddy? And which frequencies to cut? If so, that single plug-in would be worth the cost of the upgrade to XL! But if the plugin has a Suck Factor of 8.7... Any experiences or opinions to share?
Rubber Lizard Studio

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Timeworks EQ included with SONAR2XL is worth the upgrade price all on its own. It sounds incredible, and the spectrum analyzer is very useful, though perhaps not quite precise enough to be a true mastering tool. The interface has a few quirks, but overall it's one of my favorite EQ plugins.

Well then, looks like I'll spring for the XL. It's actually cheap way to experience using some of these tools, and I won't be springing for a high-end plug-in package anytime soon. Good point about the spectrum analyzer showing the lows! I imagine you'd use it sometimes on the stereo bus and some on an individual track. can't wait. -ml
Rubber Lizard Studio

Archived