Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What type of music do you play most?

bassdrummer

What type of music do you play most of the time? These categories come directly from Modern Drummer magazine's annual Reader's Poll in which the readers vote for their favorite drummers in each category. While there are an infinite number of ways to "sub-categorize" each type, just pick which category is "closest" to what you play most of the time. If you want to specify more exactly what kind of music you play, please do so in a reply!

:)

"All the world's indeed a stage, and we are merely players..."

--Rush, "Limelight"

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I voted progressive. 50% voted rock and I'm not suprised. I play classic rock in the bar band but spend far more time jamming with prog groups.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

I guess I had to choose rock. To be more specific, without splitting too many hairs I play the following, equally:

Classic Rock (Led Zep, Steve Miller Band, Cream, Hendrix...)

Classic Hard Rock ( Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest, AC/DC .....)

Blues (Muddy Waters, BB King....)

Punk (mostley my own creations from an angry youth)

I saw R&B on the list but not blues.. Modern R&B is nothing like classic R&B, and definatly NOT Rythm & Blues.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Poll does not have a "Does Not Apply" circle. Most of my playing is in a mummer band.

Not really. But I play several different styles all the time. Classical and praise every week, jazz and theater less frequently.

So I picked "other"

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

i had to choose rock but it would be a blend of NWOBHM, NWOAHM, classic hard rock, classic punk rock, modern pop punk, with a smattering of death rock(no not metal)/almost grunge with just a dash of hair metal.

people say we sound like a cross between nirvana and early judas priest.

of course that was with the old singer. have not played any shows with the new yet so we shall see.

There weren't categories for me.

I play a lot of funk/Motown/disco/classic soul. It looks like the category for that is the generic R&B.

I do play jazz standards which I suppose are called mainstream jazz.

But is the jazz fusion that I play called contemporary jazz? No one that I know has ever used that term.

And there is nothing for ethnic music--I play Israeli, Klezmer and Mizrachi (Middle Eastern Jewish) music quite a bit.

There are also a lot of people here playing at churches (and I play at synagogues) and none of the categories exactly fit.

There are also musicals.....I know that we have a group of people who does those.

And a Vegas show band almost needs to be in a category by itself (sorry Adrian).

I wish we didn't have to categorize, no matter what I am playing it is all music to me.

My thought on Contemporary Jazz... While some of it is quite good, a lot of it is just "songs we all know" (Beatles, last year's soft pop hits, etc.) with a Sax on top, often replacing the vocal. I would prefer it just be called Contemporary.

Some of it is almost as funny as when the put "canned electronic dance rhytm track #5" behind a modern country hit, so they can play it in the NY market.

Sorry if I stepped on some toes, but that's the way I feel. Most of it is just "The Machine" trying to make music palatable to the masses. But hey, if you like it that's all that matters.

Without taking the poll, y'all's answers make me realize that I can't pick a single category either - I just got home from doing a community theater production of "Fiddler On The Roof" (5 more performances to go), And I've got a country duo gig on Thursday, a variety (mostly old top 40) gig on Saturday, a jazz gig on Sunday, and a few sessions here and there... And we start pre-production on a blues/R&B (Old style, like Stax stuff) project this week, too. Switching between electric and acoustic....

Dave Martin

Java Jive Studio

Nashville, TN

www.javajivestudio.com

Cuppa Joe Records

www.cuppajoerecords.com

Originally posted by jeremy c:

butcherNburn, you're talking about the dreaded "smooth jazz".

Everybody hates it, including the people who play it. :freak:

But sometimes it pays a few bills and lets you play the jazz you want to play.

Yep that's it. I wasn't saying all of it was bad, what I really was getting at was the fact that people call and consider it "Jazz".

If it pays the bills and allows you to play what you want at other times, good for you (no sarcasm intended or implied). You have to play what people want (and pay) to hear. It's a shame more "work" situations aren't that way.

Gospel5.5theZealot.. I wouldn't go that far.. I have to admit I havn't heard Muzak in a long time. It brings back memories of working in a Department Store, standing around and playing "Name That Tune".

Muzak... be very afraid.

These days I'm playing hard rock. In the past I played a lot of metal. I want to play punk but am having trouble finding something that doesn't involve high school kids. No offense meant to the 15-18 crowd here.

My true calling is Mariachi.

A friend went to a jazz show recently, he said the crowd was filled with the dreaded "scenesters"..you know who...the people that talk during the solos and clap at the most random parts of the song....collectively
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Gospel5.5theZealot:

I play death metal.

jason

LOL, thats funny....I think, I play a lot of Jazz,funk esq material, bizzare stuff, metal, prog rock/metal what ever is interesting.-Catlin

I voted rock,because most of the time I play in a bar band and we play covers,mostly from the '70s. This is my current main gig,but I've been in R&B and funk bands mostly since I started playing out around 14 years ago.

I split gigs with another bass player (depending on availability and location) for Becky Barksdale who is an LA based blues/rock artist. I wish I could do it more often.

My other gig is a local artist named Todd Eckart who does music in the Chris Isaac/Roy Orbison/Elvis vein. I also wish I could do this more often.

I also do what little session work is available to me up here including some jingles. Yet another thing I wish I could do more often.

I try to play as many different types as I can. Hard rock is my main cup of tea. I've been trying to learn more jazz and prog. Punk is fun to play. Even some of the old country is fun. I'm getting better at blues, I'll even do metal just to get frustrations out. All music is good music.
" I'm only wearing black until they make something darker!"

Archived