Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Making the Band, my version.

rockinredneck69

The last six months or more have been spent focusing on things other than my bassplaying. I'd pick it up and noodle around once a week maybe. The wife and I went to see a local band play at our favorite watering hole a few weeks ago and the guy that runs it (the band),came over and chatted with me when they were on a break. He's a childhood friend of my youngest brother and we always run into each other at such events but this was the first time I saw the band play as they've only been at it for a year or so and it turned out this was thier first paying gig. Long story short, they need another bassplayer so the current guy can play guitar. I went and jammed with them sunday and fit right in with everybody. He's going to give me a few months to get my shit together (I started lessons back up to get some tutoring on my weaknesses) and get everyone else in the band comfortable. I'm slated to play with them at the 4th of July bash. More than enough time.
Donnie Peterson

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They play at least one gig a month, April will be downtime though as the drummer is away on business. I'm thinking we could be ready before July, but won't be pushing the subject. Its really wierd how this worked out though, when I heard they put the band together I've had my ears open since then for an opportunity. Its good timing though, two months ago it would'nt have been kosher as I had a couple of personal demons that needed to be tamed. They have changed practice schedule to match my working hours even.
Donnie Peterson

• 2 weeks later...
I got a call Sunday night to inform me that I'm the bassplayer for Clearcut this Saturday! First gig already, wasn't ready for it this soon but, I'm up for it. Got the set list today and most of it I can do right now. They agreed to a practice session on Friday night to help me with the few I don't know. The gig is a benefit show for a local guy that has cancer and the lead guitar player can't make it so the current bassplayer is sliding over to fill that spot and letting me in. Very cool. If anyone happens to be close by, Maximillians Bar and Grill is the place...543 NW Pacific Av, Chehalis.
Donnie Peterson

• 2 months later...
Well, I made it. I'm the bassplayer for Clearcut. Since my cherrypoppin gig at Max's, where it turned out I was one of two bassplayers (cool, kinda like a safety net but it work out nice), they have slowly worked me into the being the lowend guy. At our last practice I was the bassplayer. Scott only grabbed his bass twice, once to figure out how to do what I was and the other time was to give a bit of support. Both times it was brief and I walked away feelin' good about it all. We play the Lewis County Rodeo next month opening up on saturday night for Tony Wintrop and his Posse, and closing for him. Its been amazing how much better of a player I've become in the last few months just playing with these guys. The thing is...its not so much about ability as it is just playing music. They don't point fingers or bitch about not sounding "like the record", its about the music and creating an atmosphere. Damn, but I got lucky!
Donnie Peterson

This sounds like a win all around - you improve your playing and join a band with gigs. Not too shabby.

Send us the gig report and have a good time!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived