Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Fretless with foam...have a listen

SteveC

I am technically inept. I did this quick recording in GarageBand and exported it to iTunes. I don't know how to put the link in this post, but if you go to my website, you can listen.

This is the tone I get running passive, using the neck "J" pickup with foam under the strings and fingering over the fingerboard. My Avalon U5 is the preamp/DI. This is what I plan to use for jazz combo/big band gigs when I don't want to bring the upright.

Heres the page on my site:

http://gra.midco.net/sjcarriere/pics.html

Thanks for taking the time to navigate around and listen.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember hearing about this on Carol Kaye's web-site. As I recall for pluckers (fingers), you put foam under the strings. For pickers (pick), you put felt on top of the strings.

Of course, the Jazz basses used to come with a foam muffler on top of the strings, so who knows...

I personally don't mute for fingers, but will mute with the edge/palm of my hand when I pick sometimes.

As Philman99 mentioned, my first bass, a 1962 Fender Jazz, had foam in the tailpiece. My 1975 Musicman Stingray 4 fretless has (or, I should say "had" foam) in the bridge which can be adjusted up or down for muting.

I say "had" because the foam has deteriorated over time.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

It's basically that stuff you get at craft or fabric stores. I just cut it down to size and slide it in. I think it woks pretty well. Good to use for some fretted applications, too, like R&B. I'll try to post a pic of it.

That is as uprightish as I've ever heard an electric sound. Funny thing about URBs. I started on one playing bluegrass; after a while I used it playing with a cajun band because I didn't own an electric. After about a year and a half of that I bought an electric rig because it was much easier to transport and eliminated problems I'd had amplifying the UR, not to mention intonation. After I switched I received a lot of feedback from folks mentioning how the missed seeing the URB on stage. Got zero feedback on the sound.

www.ethertonswitch.com

Listening with the eyes...

Part of the reason I got the gig with the big band is becasue they liked the look (and sound) of the old fashioned upright. It is very cool, but a pain as well. They guy before me was excellent and played a fretted electric.

I'm hoping I can sneak the electric fretless in here and there at lesser gigs and rehearsals and they will like the SOUND and maybe wein them from the LOOK of the upright.

We'll see.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to listen and respond.

Sounds good... but it doesn't quite sound like an upright...Nothing really sounds like an upright but an upright, ya know?

Not for nuthin... but...

If they hired you to be an upright player (because they like the look and sounnd), don't you think you should BE an upright player? They hired you for a specific look and sound...

Subbing in a regular fretless when you really want an upright is like changing the channel right into the beginning strains of a Three Stooges short and getting a Shemp instead of a Curlyyeah, it's still pretty cool, but it's not, ya know... SUPER cool.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Playing upright wasn't the only consideration, but it didn't hurt. "Hired" is a loose term with this band. It's different every gig depending on who is available.

We have a rehearsal/farewell gathering for a guys who's leaving town tonight so since it's not a "gig" I'm gonna bring the fretless just to give it a try.

Steve, it sounds 90% there. Good enough for government work. IMHO if they still want the doghouse they should pay you accordingly (union scale) for the extra cartage and effort. Personal preference would've been to mix in more low-mid without losing that "hollow" tone, but you did well with what you got. Did you consider using the SansAmp as an alternative to the U5? Profanity, I know, but sometimes those "cheap" pedals will surprise you.

I'm getting close with a P-J combination fretless, even closer with my fretted acoustic-electric, but I'm hoping eventually to score a fretless acoustic-electric. Yeah, it's not a doghouse either, and the piezos squeal annoyingly if you don't EQ it right, but underneath the "wood" adds that extra tone. But I'm not, repeat, NOT encouraging you to go out and buy one now. Takamine came out with one recently that sounds better unplugged than most of the others, and amplified it works as well, but I ain't got the $700-800 to spare.

About the foam, they're right: different materials/densities produce different results. Last time I used a piece I cut out of the packing material for a PC hard-disk drive.

Meanwhile, work with what you got, that 90% is schweet! Good work, Steve...

:cool:

Unfortunately, no strong union around here. Take what you can get. I have tried my SansAmp. Actually, I A/B'ed 'em and had th SansAmp pretty close to the Avalon. In some ways I like the sound better.

I tried the fretless at rehearsal last night and the guys liked the sound. So did I, but the "feel" was all wrong. The 6 string just got in the way, and I missed the "feel" I get when I play upright in big bands. I guess I won't be saving myself any cartage hassle.

Steve, I've had similar problems playing fretless 6. I do fine if I'm sitting down, but once I'm standing and going by feel, I get lost that easily. It just takes time to adapt to it. To be honest, if I'm playing out and expect to stand most of the night, I go back to the fretless 5s, but I'm doing my best to not let that extra C throw me.

And I didn't take time to think about strings. Shame on me. I have a similar Carvin 6 that I've strung with D'Addario Chromes (B to G) and a separate D'Addario Half-Round II ©. That should give you that extra-hollow "thunk".

I once owned a lovely Yamaha TRB-6p (like the one depicted below) that I sold a couple of years ago due to lack of use.

Great bass, just a "bit" more than what I needed..

http://www.komehyo.jp/garakuza/uri/syouhin_imgs/184s.jpg

Sold it and picked up my MusicMan Stingray 5 which suits me much better..

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I like my 6er, and I can play it - but I feel more comfortable on it playing Yellowjackets type stuff, smooth jazz, etc.

For that it's fine and I'm comfortable. I guess for me it's the upright for big band and combo gigs.

i played my 6 for the first time this past sunday and i was unsure about EVERYTHING that i played. The attributes of the "jason" sound were consistently left out b/c i didn't want to mess up.

But i did use the c in a solo of sorts... :D

I played around with the 6 beforehand, but i obviously wasn't ready to do a full gig with it yet. I've learned my lesson. 5 until i'm proficient.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Archived