Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fugly ,or is it just me

musicfiend

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by deanmass:

I think it is a 3 beer Bass. Kind of like a chick with a big nose, but a very nice look otherwise.

Too bad I am a 7 beer guy.

I've done the 7-stringers, but never wanted to take one home with me. Afraid of what it'd look like in the morning when I'm sober.

:D

I saw a flame topped Cort g***** with the same pickguard. I thought it looked way too busy. I'd prefer it on a solid colour.

I don't mind the look of Conklins, I've never played one (probably can't even get 'em down here) but they look well balanced and comfortable.

Originally posted by musicfiend:

http://www.bassnw.com/Used%20Basses/kramer_ferrington_black.htm

What do you guys think about this one..........I actually think it looks pretty cool.

I have one sitting in front of me right now...it's obnoxiously large in the wrong places, but at least it also sounds terrible. :freak:

"For instance" is not proof.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by musicfiend:

I mean, I don't think a photographer could do THAT to a bass...could he?

Maybe it really is fugly, or else this photographer should consider his lighting technique too.

Excuse me while I mop up the enthusiasm I once had for this bass. :cry:

Perhaps I'll see Bill conklin at the Tower of Power show in Fayetteville. Perhaps I'll wait for him in the alley with my Toby 4 ready to rumble. Perhaps...

- Matt W.

• 11 months later...

Well I think what I don't think looks right on the bass is, for starters, all of that space between the p and j pickup; its like jim casy in the grapes of wrath, a person with half their face above the eyebrows. the angled pickups don;t help, and the pickguard's color looks out of place, as well as its figure. The shape of the pickguard also looks very weird with curves in the wrong places, also the lower left corner where it extends, looks like a tail. The body looks very very long, and the horn on the sidewinder design just doesn't work for me on a 4 string especially one that has (probably) 21 frets. I'm used to seeing the back bout of the bass being wider than the horn, and that's not the case on this bass. Way too much curvage goin on down on the bottom end too (oh wait, I was talking about the bass..k, back on topic.. ;) )

To be honest though, I liked the way rocco's model looks alot, it looked beautiful in that stage. I dig a lot of other conklins as well, I mean, Jason's 7 string looks very pretty. I guess I won't be buying the 4 string. It'd discontinued IIRC. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

P.S. Rocco is STILL a bad mamma jamma, no matter WHAT he plays. The man could play a recorder for all I care, he'd still get funky.

Archived