Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Amusing Moment

cherri

My 14 year old daughter is learning to play the bass. She started on guitar, but it wasn't for her. Tried the drums, lasted a little longer, but still, it wasn't for her. Now she's adopted Paul's white P-bass. One day we taught her to read tabs and she's been a daily player ever since.

The other day we had gig out of town, and she had a girl-scout function, so she spent the night at her friend's house. She took her usual 14-year-old girl stuff, and her bass to practice. She's lugging the bass & case through the laundry room, knocking into stuff, hitting the door, dropping her other stuff, having a tough time manuvering (the bass case is taller than she is), I said to her, "You know, if you played the flute you wouldn't have all this trouble."

She said, "Flute players are sissies."

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep. Bass does that.

Next thing ya know, she'll be askin' for a Harley. And bringin' home someone with a beard.

She'll soon grow tired of him, though, and take up nature. She'll move to Pinconning, chop down her trees and build her own log cabin. She'll make visits to Detroit every time the Go-Go's perform just so she can crash the stage. One day, she'll attend a Bangles reunion just so she can throw up on Susanna Hoffs when she sings "Walk Like an Egyptian".

She'll form a blues band that takes is one step further, with leather and chains. Tough Blues! They'll have a number one hit with the blues ballad "Ya left me, so I ate your Honda."

Anyway, you've created a monster. Good luck.

:D:D:D

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Originally posted by Dave Brown:

She'll form a blues band that takes is one step further, with leather and chains. Tough Blues! They'll have a number one hit with the blues ballad "Ya left me, so I ate your Honda."

That's my vote for the funniest thing I've read all day!!!

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Cherri - great story! Paul must be so proud. And I'm betting some of that "tough" stuff comes from you. Excellent!

Both my kids played flute and both switched to something else (son to french horn; daughter to bassoon). Part of the reason for both of them was reduced competition. And some of that competition was whiny sissys.

Try to get her on notation and off tabs - she's still young enough!

Get her a Tascam Bass Trainer for her birthday so she can practice lighter.

It must be fun when she tells her friends that she is the daughter of Cherri and a Violator.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Yes... there is nothing like taking an upright bass on the bus - THAT was entertaining. It was one of the old buses, it wouldn't quite fit up the stairs on the bus with me beside it, so I had to get behind it and push it up. Even the bus driver was laughing at me....

But at least basses aren't squeaky. And at least she doesn't play oboe (sorry to any oboe players, it's just oboe beginners that hurt me).

SWR Amps: Amplify your furniture! Errr.... future.

Dave: that was hilarious, and not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

Tom - she does have a certain automatic cool-factor at school because of her folks being in a band. She's forever wearing my festival, music awards, and show t-shirts. I would like her to learn to read music as well as tabs, that's a good idea!

Archived