Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

line 6 delay modler

frontlinebass

this past weekend I was doing some session work at a studio and the producer asked if I could use a dealy on my bass for a certain part of a song. I had never used a dealy on my bass before but we gave it a try and It sounded great using the low res setting. I liked it a lot and promptly went and bought one of my own and am going to try it out for the 30 days that GC will let me have before i have to return it. I would really like to be able to justify having it, so any suggestions on it use would be apreciated.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at a gig and the violin player said something like: "Hey, I don't use this any more and I'm getting rid of it, does anyone want it?" My hand went right up and I said "OOO me, pick me!" So now I kinda have it on permanent load. There are three things that I've use it for:

1)There is a patch on it that has a volume swell, after tweaking the modulation and swell rate, and turning the mix over to 100% wet, I can make my bass sound like a bowed electric cello. Nice effect for some slow tunes.

2)A very short delay with a 25%-50% mix can make the bass sound fatter and make it stand out a little more in the mix.

3)At home I've played with the phrase sampler. I'll play a chord progression, loop a bass line with it then solo on top of it. I don't have any live application for this but it sure is great fun.

There is also a patch, can't remember what it is now, that I can make some very tripped out-outer space sounding feedback. Absolutely useless, but once agian its great fun. I think its the reverse delay or somthing like that. Also, there are many echo and tappable delays that can be used for solos.

Don't know if any of this helps, I've only had mine for a month or two. Never thought I would get any use out of a Delay pedal but now I'm seriously thinking about making it mine.

Originally posted by snyprmg:

Pink Floyd- One of these days.

Thats reason enough for me.

:D:thu:

Maybe you could use the backward delay for the beginning of "Roundabout". :cool:

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

P.S. - Just to show how dumb I am, I just learned that you use the quotation marks to get the "originally posted by..." heading to add to your post.

sheeesh! :o:rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Originally posted by groover:

I was at a gig and the violin player said something like: "Hey, I don't use this any more and I'm getting rid of it, does anyone want it?" My hand went right up and I said "OOO me, pick me!" So now I kinda have it on permanent loan.

Update: A month ago she asked for me to return the DL4 so she could use it in a song writing class. Well, last night she brought it to church practice and gave it to me. Yes, she gave it to me! She said that she just couldn't find a good use for it and wanted to give it to someone who would use it. Cool! :D

Sorry, just had to tell someone! I can't wait to get home after work and play.

Originally posted by basshappi:

P.S. - Just to show how dumb I am, I just learned that you use the quotation marks to get the "originally posted by..." heading to add to your post.

Not bad for 2 years :D:D:D:D

I've looked into the Line 6 delay, but i dunno, to expensive, and way more than i need.

one pedal that i am HUGELY GASing for-Boss DD-20 giga delay. it's got 23 SECONDS of delay time, and a sound on sound recording device.

now that's something that i would definitly have fun with.

it's only 180.00 at musictoyz.com, however, i am 420.00 in debt, (jazz bass), so i'll have to wait.

damn my not having a job life style.

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

Originally posted by NUTT:

Originally posted by basshappi:

Not bad for 2 years :D:D:D:D
Yeah, huh! :o:D :

Congrats Groover! Toys are great, free toys are even better!

I've been interested in that unit as well.I look forward to a full report.

I just saw Yo La Tengo play (4th time in St. Louis in the last ~18mos!) the other night. They provided live accompaniment to 1960's French marine documentarist Jean Painleve's films. GREAT event!! They made frequent use of 4 DLs they had on stage as loopers. They are a 3-piece and they had 2 of them in their keyboard rig, one in the guitar rig and one in the bass rig. It allowed them to get build really lush, layered sounds. The bass player would play a bass line and simply have it repeat for a while while he walked over to the keyboards and added more sounds. Guitar player did the same thing. Pretty amazing piece of gear if used well. I'm planning on either getting one or building a looper myself.

Ed Friedland uses a Boss RC-20 Loop Station. It's a pretty impressive piece of gear with a much smaller 'footprint'.

I have the RC-20, It's a cool unit. I think you can get more contiuous looping time. I believe though it compromises my tone somewhat. It's been very cool for looping and learning. I take it to rehearsal, as my guitarist to play something on it, and I take it home.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

As a quick aside, following from the RC-20 talk.

Is this pedal going to bet a bigger hard drive in the near future? A lot of MP3 players and even mobile phones are getting 10GB hard disks -- how long until this technology trickles down into pedals?

Also, is the 4 minutes of music that the RC-20 can hold a total number? I know it can store 10 loops on the hard disk and one more in flash (or similar). Is the sum of these "samples" 4 minutes? Does this limit actual musical expression?

To put this desire for heaps of layering room in context, I was most disapointed with my wife's keyboard -- only 128 voices of polyphony. However, I don't think this would actually slow down a proper piano player. I guess its just a desire for looping "headroom".

A man is not usually called upon to have an opinion of his own talents at all; he can very well go on improving them to the best of his ability without deciding on his own precise niche in the temple of Fame. -- C.S.Lewis

Archived