Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

star struck

LLroomtempJ

I played a concert yesterday at this event in brockton, MA. There were about 10 groups total going on.

While back stage discussing bass ampification issues i met this guy who asserted hiumself as a star. Tell if any of you have ever heard of:

wayne pittman

he said that he is endorsed by gk and gets all his stuff for free, and that he also played bass for prince for about 8yrs. He was playing an ibanez body but with everything customized (badass, barts, new nut, different hardware etc).

Does prince have two bassists? what about that rhonda person that's been with him for a while?

the other person that i met that was pretty cool was:

ron carter jr.

Long story, but i met him at a church event that the guy who pulled me onto the 10 group gig had to go to after the first gig was done. He was playing a sadowsky that sounded like pure sweetness.

I recently invested in a 1 gig memory card for my camera, and i feel like a complete idiot for not bringing it with me yesterday, but... i'll know not to leave it ever again.

In case you're wondering, for me, this was a no rehearsal gig, and soundcheck was weird b/c there was no kit for the drummer at that time, but the other two guys (keys and drums) are insanely good (they are both getting degrees in music performance and education from berklee) so everything went well.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Never heard of him. The few pros I've met were outwardly humble and not concerned with impressing anyone with their resume. If he really has the creds he claims to have it would be likely that one of our resident pros here has heard of him. Sounds like he could be a guitar player attitudewise. :D

www.ethertonswitch.com

There is this one dude...he's always hangin' at Washington Square Park. Every time I see him, he's yapping about being the drummer from Parliment Funkadelic "back in the day".

Last year, I got to hang with George and some members of the Pfunk AllStars for a few days. I asked them about this other guy. They never heard of him!

People love to, shall we say..."pad their resume".

"I don't play Bass..I play SONGS."

After 10 years in the hospitality industry, I've met several "stars" from Wolfman Jack to Chris Farley to John Cleese. It's funny how the true stars don't introduce themselves as such. Most actually like anonymity.

When I met Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith, you wouldn't know he was in the music biz except for one small case with concert tour stickers all over it. Otherwise, he was just a nice guy on vacation with his family.

There's my two cents.

ATM

not at all b/c i was sure to wear my yankees cap for the entire gig....taking it off for no one. When i got to the church my hat came off and i had forgotten about my hair, no one said anything either.

however, today in church, the drummer and the keyboardist had lots of jokes, that was the case until the keyboardist tripped and fell up the stairs on the stairs...

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• 11 months later...

I met Wayne Pittman at Logan International Airport in March of 2005. I was sitting, talking to another fellow bassist who went to the same college that I was attending at the time and he walked up to us and started talking about how he was this hot shot Minneapolis session bassist back in the day and how he was one of the founding members of Prince's first band in the Cities. Well, I asked around the scene a little bit and no one in town knew who he was.

Pittman said that he went to Berklee College of Music (the school that I was attending at the time) and that he was this unknown legend, in so many words. He reminded me of another musician that I worked with years ago who also claimed to be in a very well known band and never got the credit he deserved for that project. That guy never paid any of us in the back up band and skipped town with about two thousand dollars of our money.

There are a lot of scumbags in this business who can spin a nice story and make an unsuspecting fool (like me) get left high and dry after all is said and done. It just sucks because music really should be about sharing an experience with your band mates and with the crowd, but some people are just in it for the glory.

C'est la vie.

The big wide world can be a small place. Never claim you did something you didn't do because it will come back to haunt you. Besides, what good is it anyway? You maybe impress a few people who are easily impressed. Big deal. If you didn't do it, you didn't do it and eventually you're going to shoot your mouth off to the wrong person and look like a big dumb jackass.

Somewhat amusing Ron Carter jr/senior story to follow that has nothing to do with this thread:

Several years ago, I was in Mike Lull's shop and we were catching up/talking. He told me of this exchange that happened to him (paraphrased):

*phone rings*

Mike: "Guitarworks"

Voice On Other End: "Hi, this is Ron Carter from New York. My son is going to Berklee this year and he played one of your basses and decided that he wants one"

Mike: "Well sir, we don't sell them directly out of the shop here, but let me give you the number of a local retailer that does"

Mike gives Voice On Other End the number for Bass Northwest

30 minutes or so pass

*phone rings*

Chad at Bass Northwest: "Do you know who just called me??!?!"

Mike: "No... who?"

Chad at Bass Northwest: "RON CARTER!!!"

Mike: "That was THE RON CARTER?!?!?!"

:D

Mike made him a jazz bass, I don't know exactly which model. That exchange of phone conversations made me laugh though. I guess when you make neat stuff you never know who's going to be calling you out of the clear blue.

I have to say, getting to meet Mr. Carter was a very amazing experience, And you know what Wayne Pittman can run his mouth all he wants; the people that have so much control over their instruments, the true profesionals that are dedicated to their music, of which Mr. Carter is a prime example, these remain the most humble and gracious people I've met. Some people really know where it's at I guess.

Hi all from Italy after so long.

It's sometimes glad but most of the times sad to see that all such stories are common everywhere, but what amazes me is that they come up especially among musicians and sportsmen.

I never heard of anybody outside of these fields to claim himself being "someone special".

I guess it's because there are people who need to be considered different and looking for more credit than they deserve, only because they got nothing solid to rely on in their lives and in their everyday jobs.

Peace :wave:

www.myspace.com/fabrizioruggiero

www.myspace.com/vanalientribute

Who are we? People.

Where do we come from? Home.

Where are we going to? Home.

A fellow that used to work for me used to swear that he was Paul Goddard, the original bassist for the Atlanta Rhythm Section, even though that was not the name he applied under or used. It took about five seconds to debunk that little delusion.

My drummer got himself invited backstage at an Oteil & the Peacemakers show and got me Mr. Burbridge's autograph. That is the closest I've come to meeting one of my bass heros. That cat is one of the faces on my "Bass Mt. Rushmore".

My whole trick is to keep the tune well out in front. If I play Tchaikovsky, I play his melodies and skip his spiritual struggle. ~Liberace

Generally speaking, folks who claim to something special aren't. But, people who claim to be special often enough sometimes wind up famous. Maybe not for the reasons they'd like, but famous all the same. Case in point; Wayne Pittman has been heard of now in several different countries. My guess is he wouldn't much like the attention he's getting, but, Paris Hilton is proof that no publicity is bad publicity...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

What is it with nimrods claiming to be something they aren't? I just can't understand it. Back during my second term in office as President of the Republic of Monrovia, when I had a recording contract with Columbia Records, and I was a big movie star, we never would have stood for that crap.

:D:D:D

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Ninja:

Hi all from Italy after so long.

It's sometimes glad but most of the times sad to see that all such stories are common everywhere, but what amazes me is that they come up especially among musicians and sportsmen.

I never heard of anybody outside of these fields to claim himself being "someone special".

At a former employer (a large software company), there was a director-level guy who apparently needed to chime in on most any email conversation and always managed to mention something about one of his many past achievements. And it always seemed like he was exaggerating just enough...like when he worked in England doing some government contracting, but that always translated to "writing software for the Queen" and when he spent less than 6 months at Microsoft but seemed to have been on the founding strategy committees for every MS operating system release for the last 6 YEARS.

I think people do this all the time, but I think that in sports and music, it's easier to call their bluff than people think.

We have a local guitar "hero" who treats all other musicians as if they were imbeciles. On the other hand, I met the Chick Correa Electric Band back in the eighties during the "Eye Of The Beholder" tour. You would think that if anybody had a right to be cocky it would be those guys, but not at all. Chick was as pleasant a person as I have ever met and he even gave us (the crew from the theater I worked at) a short clinic on soloing over changes. John Pattitucci let me play his Sadowsky fiver and showed me a cool double thumb run that I still use. I guess that's what makes the greats, truly great.

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

Speaking of Prince...

Did anyone catch him on Saturday Night Live last week? I was wondering if anyone recognized the bassist he had with him then. It wasn't Rhonda or Larry, the last two I knew to funk around with the mighty Purple one. It was a rather subdued, rotund black guy, bald and mustached, IIRC.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

Somewhat amusing Ron Carter jr/senior story to follow that has nothing to do with this thread:

Several years ago, I was in Mike Lull's shop and we were catching up/talking. He told me of this exchange that happened to him (paraphrased):

*phone rings*

Voice On Other End: "Hi, this is Ron Carter from New York. My son is going to Berklee this year and he played one of your basses and decided that he wants one"

Mike: "Well sir, we don't sell them directly out of the shop here, but let me give you the number of a local retailer that does"

Mike gives Voice On Other End the number for Bass Northwest

30 minutes or so pass

*phone rings*

Chad at Bass Northwest: "Do you know who just called me??!?!"

Mike: "No... who?"

Chad at Bass Northwest: "RON CARTER!!!"

Mike: "That was THE RON CARTER?!?!?!"

:D

Mike made him a jazz bass, I don't know exactly which model. That exchange of phone conversations made me laugh though. I guess when you make neat stuff you never know who's going to be calling you out of the clear blue.

That story was good, but it would be infinitely better if Ron Carter had told Mike Lull (a la Dave Chappell as Rick James): "I'm Ron Carter bitch!"

Archived