Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

BAss tuners

Hello. 2 questions for you.

1. What would you recomend as a good bass tuner that i can run through on stage. I have been looking at the BOSS TU-2 , any views on it.

and...........

2. Does running through a tuner (like the TU-2) effect the sound quality if you play through it all the time straight into the amp? like using the bypass for it.

cheers ;)

Please check out my band PEYOTE at www.shithotrecords.co.uk/peyote. You can upload a profile+your bands tracks for FREE!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have heard the TU-2 are exelent tuners and do

not effect the signal in any way. I use the Boss

TU-12H and silent tune using the LS-2 Line Switcher on the "B" Circut.It has been a real good tuner I have had it since the late 80's.

I recently recieved a Boss TU-15 as a gift and it is a good tuner,but It could not replace the TU-12H cause you have to push a little button on it if you use a Hipshot and want to tune the "D".

I have Hipshots on 2 of my Basses so I use the

new Tu-15 as a bench tuner and a back-up in my gig bag.

http://ebassist.com/photopost/data/500/616bcb6.JPG

I 3rd the motion, it is a great pedal, to tune in silence and then back ready to play.I never have to tune during the night but it avoids any non professionalism of tuning out loud.

The TU-12 definitely affects your tone and not in a good way. Unless you run it in a side chain like NV43345 .

I've never used the TU-2.

I use Korg tuners (GA-20, CA-20, CA-30) and don't have them in the signal path. (They are priced low enough that I have one in each gig bag so I don't ever forget to bring one).

I tune before I start playing. If I go out of tune during the show (unlikely), I will hear it and make the necessary adjustment by using my ear.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I use Korg tuners (GA-20, CA-20, CA-30) and don't have them in the signal path. (They are priced low enough that I have one in each gig bag so I don't ever forget to bring one).

I tune before I start playing.

Ditto. I have an inexpensive Korg tuner, & I keep a short cable plugged into it. I plug it straight into the bass & tune before playing. My amp also has a tuner out so that I could do silent spot checks, but I've almost never needed to.

Guitars are another story, perhaps. A guitarist friend has a tuner in his chain, & uses it several times while playing. But then, guitars always seem to me far, far touchier than basses where tuning is concerned.

If the tuning on your bass is touchy enough to warrant that kind of constant checking that requires a pedal in the chain, I'd start looking at the bass' hardware, &/or your technique.

I've been using the TU-2 in my main signal chain now for several months. I haven't noticed any ill

affects on my tone whatsoever. I still keep my TU-12 handy for odd occassions, though. I think the one thing I like a lot about the TU-2 is the muting feature. I can tune onstage without annoying the audience. A picking point, yes, but I think it makes a difference when you can do things like that unobtrusively.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

ok cheers everyone, you kinda made my mind up for me. Although i didint think there was any need for the comment 'If the tuning on your bass is touchy enough to warrant that kind of constant checking that requires a pedal in the chain, I'd start looking at the bass' hardware, &/or your technique.' my tecnique is fine as is my bass, its just its handy to have it if its needed, no harm ever came from being prepared eh. thanks all the same
Please check out my band PEYOTE at www.shithotrecords.co.uk/peyote. You can upload a profile+your bands tracks for FREE!

Doing things unobtrusively means reaching up and turning a tuning peg while playing without having to turn around or look down at a tuner or stop playing for even an instant. ;)

Do you do that while intentionally sliding into a note? ;D

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The TU-2 is great, have one on my pedal board. Before getting it I used a TU-12, you can't use it for open B string tuning. With the Tu-2 I can switch basses easily and I also put it in tuning mode when taking a break so I can pull the chord out of my bass and save on batteries.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by MoFoFunk:

ok cheers everyone, you kinda made my mind up for me. Although i didint think there was any need for the comment 'If the tuning on your bass is touchy enough to warrant that kind of constant checking that requires a pedal in the chain, I'd start looking at the bass' hardware, &/or your technique.' my tecnique is fine as is my bass, its just its handy to have it if its needed, no harm ever came from being prepared eh. thanks all the same

No harm at all. Heck, one could even line up an array of basses all in perfect tune, & switch out after every song. Now that's prepared.

Wally, that must be your Alembic 6 string bass that you "pull the chord out of". ;)

Sometimes I use both the six and a four on gig, but sometimes such as this past New Year's Eve gig I used my Kubicki and Stingray. There are some tunes when I play with Lady Bo that I like having the open D on the Kubicki.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

The Tu-2 is truly a great pedal for live use, and I even used it for a recording with good results...we had to pay by the hour and with the pedal we were able to keep a few cents t ourselves and still get a cd that doesnt sound like a todler on a standup bass.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Just bought one (TU-2) yesterday (haven't tried it yet).

I don't have a pedalboard, and may leave it on the floor back by the amp. May also feed it from tuner-out - not sure yet.

from the wise experience of Jeremy

I tune before I start playing. If I go out of tune during the show (unlikely), I will hear it and make the necessary adjustment by using my ear.

I would love to use this method, but can't afford to fly you in for every gig.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

I have a Korg DT-10. Actually, I have one with my bass rig and another with my guitar rig. They're transparent, they're made of steel, and they have a "mute" feature for silent tuning. Works for me.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I pulled out the TU2 this past Sunday. I didn't put it in the signal chain - just tuned and played the service. I like the responsiveness of it. Very nice.

I also read the manual, and it made me thing about something. I've always admired players that seem to have two feeds - one distorted and one direct. Robert Sledge (Ben Folds Five) is probably my favorite for this. I know there are lots of ways to do this (especially in the studio ;) ). When I play live, I don't have to tune much after the initial setup. I was thinking about using the "Bypass" output to my amp, and the "Output" line to my distortion pedal, and then to the amp. I'm thinking this is better than the "blend" knob.

Maury has the Boss "switcher" pedal, and I figure this could work the same way.

Anyone used the pedal like that?

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived