Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rag works...think I'll save my $$ for now.

SteveC

So I got my fretless back today and tried an experiment.

I put a rag under the strings by the bridge, rolled to the front pickup, and went passive. I let the Avalon do the rest on EQ setting 1 - basically flat.

I played over the fingerboard and - viola - a somewhat upright sort of sound. Not exactly, and it would probably help if I had flatwound strings, but never-the-less a pretty usable tone.

I haven't given up on building a flatwound passive semi-hollow fretless 4, but a free piece of cloth will certainly do until then.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might just wanna be happy with what you got.

For live use, the best you can do is "come close" to the sound you really want, and you've already done that.

And for recording, you always have the doghouse.

Maybe take the gas to another direction.

How great would it be to have some nice earplugs, those auralex grammapads look cool too.

Maybe the rack really will hold you over.........

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

And you know what, nothing is cooler than going to a jazz show with nuttin but a simple pre/power setup, a tiny 12 cab, a small, nice electric bass, and a rag.
Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Sorry to disapoint you Sweet. Actually, I am going to get a nice piece of foam to use instead of a rag. I think it will work better and look better. The stuff my elemetary violin kids use for shoulder rests will be perfect. It's dense but squishy, dark gray, and easy to cut into the necessary shape.

Now, if only I could find a way to make everyone think they need one (made by me of course) and make my millions...

Originally posted by SteveC:

Sorry to disapoint you Sweet. Actually, I am going to get a nice piece of foam to use instead of a rag. I think it will work better and look better. The stuff my elemetary violin kids use for shoulder rests will be perfect. It's dense but squishy, dark gray, and easy to cut into the necessary shape.

Now, if only I could find a way to make everyone think they need one (made by me of course) and make my millions... (of cinsumers happy?)

Archived