Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How to mic The Rock

One of my bands is currently recording an album. Things are coming along much better than I ever would have thought and I dare say that I'm actually a bit excited about how things are sounding. Here is a fine picture of some of my work in the studio. I thought that this would help when we were about to track a particular song. A detailed session diary may be coming up soon if there is any interest.

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/Pic10.jpg

One always must bring The Rock when recording.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. I love a studio diary, especially when it's written with a healthy dose of wit and a touch of self-deprecation.

2. I'm really glad someone brought the rock. That pic would make a nice album cover. I'd call the album something simple, like The Rock. Of course, given the acronym of the bandname, it would be dangerous yet appealing to call the album Bring the Rock, Don't Smoke It.

3. CMDN's right. dcr is probably on target as well (mark your calendars -- I'm giving dcr some props). wraub is treading on that thin, Capasso-style ice.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

wraub is treading on that thin, Capasso-style ice.

Hey, glad you like it. I got the recipe Here :

It's surprisingly authentic.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Not wanting to stir up controversy here, but I think that Rock is mic'd improperly.

The most important function of the rock is to directionalize certain high frequencies, for which the front, slightly concave surface was created.

It is true that the entire exposed surface of the Rock has some bearing on the total sonic effect, but the frontal surface is of greater significance.

Therefore, in my experience, an X-Y, non-phasic pair of mics 6-8 inches from the deepest part of the curve will give a more spacious effect.

With the current mic configuration, you have traded spacial ambience for warmth...that's fine if warmth is what your project requires.

BTW, and in case you didn't know. RE (rock effect) is why bluegrass originated as an acoustic only music in the hills of Kentucky. I have seen rock there clearly larger and heavier than this one. If you can believe it, there is free standing non phasic rock there weighing 2-3 tons or even more. Kinda hard to truck that stuff around and play on a stage. But this rock supply gives bluegrass its edgy sweetness.

Someday maybe I'll tell you the story of the time I split, with 1 stick of dynamite, a 2 ton rock into seven wedges.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Home Production Tip #396:

Large, heavy rocks can be great tools for 'focusing' musicians, thereby ensuring that you capture the best possible performance.

In most cases, you don't even need to use them! Simply placing them within easy reach will generally coax maximum intensity from an artist, thereby ensuring that 'wow' moment makes it onto tape.

Not wanting to stir up controversy here, but I think that Rock is mic'd improperly.

The most important function of the rock is to directionalize certain high frequencies, for which the front, slightly concave surface was created.

It is true that the entire exposed surface of the Rock has some bearing on the total sonic effect, but the frontal surface is of greater significance.

Therefore, in my experience, an X-Y, non-phasic pair of mics 6-8 inches from the deepest part of the curve will give a more spacious effect.

With the current mic configuration, you have traded spacial ambience for warmth...that's fine if warmth is what your project requires.

BTW, and in case you didn't know. RE (rock effect) is why bluegrass originated as an acoustic only music in the hills of Kentucky. I have seen rock there clearly larger and heavier than this one. If you can believe it, there is free standing non phasic rock there weighing 2-3 tons or even more. Kinda hard to truck that stuff around and play on a stage. But this rock supply gives bluegrass its edgy sweetness.

It'd still be louder if it was black.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Dave, you forgot the little " ;} " thingies.

CMDN--you're right. Granite is for wussies. You need to bring in the obsidian.

(Not much of a catch phrase, though, "Bring in da obsidian!!" Cool album cover, maybe.)

How would you like to show up at the studio one day and have someone tell you you've been replaced by The Rock?
Impossible. I AM The Rock.

That wrestler guy just borrows my name because it's catchy.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I hereby trump CMDN's excellent joke and wraub's excellence with this.

I know what song you are tracking, because I know your respect for Zappa. It's a tune from the Mothers Of Invention.

Help I'm A Rock.

Tom (still the master)

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Where's the roll?

The roll is a direct after effect resulting from gravity, the subcutaneous induced vibrations from The Rock, and a highly acute angle.

What happens is this: Once The Rock has a mic and placed upon an elevation where gravity can act as a justifying force, the "groove" vibrations convince The Rock to induce a state of exponential energy from its potential "Rock" state. The result is quite obvious and can be best represented by the formula:

http://img116.exs.cx/img116/7321/s2img18090lg.gif

or more simple know as "The Groove Chaos Theory of Music".

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

Originally posted by kenfxj:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000032Q4.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
Even Foghat knew black rocks were the loudest.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

NOTE:

Foghat's rock is black. But which is harder, the rock or the kaiser? Is it a rock-hard bun? Isn't that what we all really want? This simple album cover show the true genius of Foghat; to be able to tap into our inner most desires and shake 'em.

This, however, has nothing to do with how to mic the Rock.

BTW, where did you get that rock? EBay?

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

I may borrow from Maury who is borrowing from Bump next month when my band records and bring the rock in this manner. It's cool, and I'll try to take a pic.

Bump - I know it takes time, but we'd love to read the studio diary. It might seem simple to you, but sharing the experience is usually interesting to your friends - especially here.

Originally posted by TuckLM:

...But which is harder, the rock or the kaiser?

We understand the space between those items on the album cover. It's between a rock and a hard place. I've been there.

With these comments, we're all on a roll...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived