Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I want the old SteveC back!

_Sweet Willie_

I was starting to really worry about SteveC. Could it be that he had conquered el GAS?! :eek:

But suddenly there emerged a ray of hope amidst the "excess"...

Originally suggested by SteveC in another thread:

I am kicking around building a fretless P with a J neck with flats and passive electronics. Just for fun. Make it sound like an upright for when I don't want to haul my upright.

I think that this is a fantastic idea, Steve. I thought I'd offer some help to get you started. While nothing except a URB really sounds like a URB (some exceptions might account for modeling products), I'm here to lend my encouragement!

Here\'s a nice P-bass body.

You can also get a nice fretless neck -- J dimensions and I\'d recommend maple w/ ebony \'board.

As for pickups, well, you can get a nice P pickup...

...here,

here, or

here (vintage styleeee!).

And, don't forget some flatwounds !

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Thanks!

Peace.

--SW

PS: As always, man, it's all luv! :thu:

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hopefully this is the re-emergence and not just a last grab at individuality lost when the 2 words-that-shall-remain-unsaid were uttered at the alter. :D

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

:D

I am honored(?) to be the subject of a topic on this forum. I don't think the old SteveC has gone forever...just a short break. I'm sure he will return - much to the dismay of his new bride - to suffer the pains of GAS once again.

BTW - I have looked at all those sites. I was also considering a Lindy Fralin pickup.

In the mean time, I do have a SansAmp BDDI and a rack kit for my Blue Max on order from Sweetwater. All I need is a 3 space rack and I'm set. :)

Originally posted by SteveC:

All I need is a 3 space rack and I'm set. :)

That's what they all say, yep they all say do'h

Those fralins are some seriously sweet pickups...ohh ya

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Originally posted by Basskickerboy:

OK, new guy here. What the heck is GAS?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome

Welcome to the LowDown. Seeing as you're here - you have probably already experienced GAS ;)

Where in MI are you? I'm originally from the West Side of Detroit, there's a few others here from MI as well.

Jim

Jim

Confirmed RoscoeHead

Wait a minute. Hold the phone. Stop the madness.

SteveC is in a brief period of slowdown. A plateau. A "desert" moment (to be biblical). He's undergoing big adjustments in his life, and his natural "defense mechanisms" have him focussed elsewhere. Let's give our friend the respite he needs.

I expect he'll be as gas-driven as always. Just because someone stops buying every bit of gear in sight doesn't mean he's given up or completely changed. He's still "looking at the menu", to turn an old phrase.

I'm disappointed in those of you that have posted so far. Isn't the REAL question about Willie? With a month-old Nordy in hand, he's barking up SteveC? Is it that with all the wacko NAMM stuff, he can't stand to see someone be calm? What's that about? Is he about to GAS for something new himself, but feels guilty owning such a prize as that hunk of walnut? Is he "manipulating the results" - a sociologist who stirs the pot just for the reaction?

Makes me wonder.

Steve - I think you should buy or not buy as you see fit. And the fact that you are now GASsing over cooking equipment (is it just a rumor about the deli-quality slicing machine and industrial strength mixer?) doesn't matter.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Dear Mr. Capasso:

I am at peace with my gear right now.

If I were gigging I think I would want an AccuGroove Tri-112L w/ a high powered 2U, <25 lbs. head -- e.g., iAmp 800, Epifani UL-902, Walter Woods, etc. Right now I gig not.

My intentions and emotions are honest. I'm trying to be a helper, a supporter, and (dare I say it?!) a friend.

You will also notice that it has been a good long time since I've written an open letter to Mr. Sadowsky.

Regards,

Dr. Luv

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Originally posted by JBFLA:

Originally posted by Basskickerboy:

OK, new guy here. What the heck is GAS?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome

Welcome to the LowDown. Seeing as you're here - you have probably already experienced GAS ;)

Where in MI are you? I'm originally from the West Side of Detroit, there's a few others here from MI as well.

Jim

Grand Rapids. I'm not sure I have GAS yet though. The biggest buy I've had was a Fender Rumble 100 Bass Amp for 300 bucks. I can't even fathom buying anything more expensive. I guess it's cuz I'm just a HS guy just recently starting a band with my childhood friends. I just started playing Bass guitar a couple months ago, but I've played bass instruments(Baritone, Tuba now) all my life, so I caught on pretty quick. I wouldn't even have bought my Rumble if I hadn't needed it for chapel a week ago. Now that I have it of course I can't imagine how dull and pathetic my life was before I got it.

LOL, guess I'm just here to pick up some wisdom.

o yea, u get alot of wisdom here basskicker, i knew like nothin now i know, alot more! welcome 2 the forums and as for gas,,,ull be suprised how much u can have it and not know it. Its my drugor choice.

The basses

-'04 MIM Jazz bass black

-'98 Fender American-Deluxe P-bass natural

-Peavey FuryII blue

Well GAS the new one up in no time.........I think we have our new stevec ;)

...Keep your bank acount free :rolleyes:

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Hmmmmm...lessee

New wife, new bass?

New house, new amp?

Wild crazy nights practicing the nasty, wild crazy nights practicing the dorian mode?

Hmmmmm.....

I think I know where SteveC is right now.

Yep. I'm the other voice in the head of davebrownbass.

Psst, Steve, over here.... back here...

Now don't tell anyone I told you this. Put a few dollars a week away in a separate savings account. Call it your "mad money" or "vacation fund" or whatever. Whatever you do, DON'T let Mrs. C know about this account... never, EVER! No, don't ask what it's for, you'll figure it out later and thank me in a few years...

OK, I better let you rejoin the forum before someone suspects something... remember, say NOTHING! Got it?

:wave:

Archived