Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Marginally Interesting

LLroomtempJ

Today(friday) i had a jam session at a local high school.

Me on bass, the schools music teacher and my church's keyboardist on keys, and my favorite bass player (jeffrey white) on drums. (oh man is jeff white a drummer too...wow)

Two phenomenal musicians and me.

We played some bossa nova, jazz grooves and some church songs that we all knew for 2 hours or so.

This was my first time playing in front of my favorite bass player, but at the end of the session...unprovoked he said "Jason, you got nice on bass"

I know that he kinda hyped my playing up, but his approval meant a lot. Today ws a great day.

jason

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to test out somebody's ability to play with people when you meet at Guitar Center. Still, I'm not surprised that you were successful. You've got a good musical background and what looks a lot like talent!

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

After listening to you play last week, I think you're doing alright, Jason. Seriously. I wish I had chops like yours when I was at your level of experience.

I think for any musician, judging where you are as a player is always difficult. After all, what kind of measuring stick do you use to judge yourself by? The only people who will be able to make that judgement are people you play with on a regular basis, perhaps a teacher, but most importantly yourself. It sounds like you had a good time, and you pulled some things off that made you go "hmmmm". That's not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. These are some of the personally fulfilling things about being a musician.

The thing that we all need to keep in mind is this: you need to keep setting new goals if you want to get better. Eventually you'll reach a certain goal you had in mind, like playing "Portrait of Tracy" while having a conversation with someone :) . One day you'll get there, but it's going to take some time and effort. When you do get there, you need to set your sites further along to a new goal. I hate to make a msuci philosophy reference that's linked to a pop song lyric, but think about this: "Life's a journey, not a destination". Think of playing the instrument along those lines. You're going to hit milestones, being able to play tunes that you couldn't before, or impressing musicians you have respect for. But remember that you have to do these things for yourself, and keep yourself motivated to keep moving forward.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Archived