Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I just wanted to help . . .

moot

After seeing the video clips of the countries struck by the earthquake and subsequent tsunamis, I really wanted to do something meaningful. I know that everyone is requesting cash donations only with the reasoning that they know how to best spend it. I'm kinda funny about that. Getting me to part with cash usually requires a crowbar or like prying device, particularly for something this nebulous. So, being skilled in just about all aspects of construction, electrical, phone/computer wiring and networking and hard labor, I contacted the American Red Cross and volunteered to go over and help. This was the reply -

Volunteers without prior disaster relief experience are generally not selected for relief assignments. Candidates with the greatest chance of being selected have fluency in the language of the disaster-stricken area, prior disaster relief experience, and expertise in technical fields such as medicine, communications logistics, water/sanitation engineering. In many cases, these professionals are already available in-country. Most agencies will require at least ten years of experience, as well as several years of experience working overseas. It is not unusual to request that volunteers make a commitment to spend at least three months working on a particular disaster. Most offers of another body to drive trucks, set up tents, and feed children are not accepted. Keep in mind that once a relief agency accepts a volunteer, they are responsible for the volunteer's well-being -i.e., food, shelter, health and security. Resources are strained during a disaster, and another person without the necessary technical skills and experience can often be a considerable burden to an ongoing relief effort.

The first responders in any fast-onset natural disaster like this are the people themselves - neighbors, neighboring villages that are unaffected, the national emergency response agencies. They already have a home in the community, they already know the language, they already have a working knowledge of the geography and the indigenous transportation systems. They are the best volunteers that we have and our job is to support them. The more volunteers that come from abroad, the greater the risk that they will fill up the hotel rooms, and utilize critical local resources which may be needed in the response locally.

Andrew Nastosy, ARC.

Okay, forget my disappointment for a minute, and forget that I'm sure these folks have their hands full, but not even a "Thanks Anyway?"

What Mr. Nastosy said makes good sense to me. I can see where not knowing the language would be hard enough let alone having to feed and shelter me rather than one (or more) of the refugees of this horrible tragedy. I'm not giving up though.

Okay, done venting. Sorry.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt, you can help at Collaboration Corner. Over there those guys are writing songs for charity towards a relief effort, which I think is a great idea.

I want to participate but I need expensive home studio software... :freak: I'm workin on that at the moment...

any how check it out maybe you can put in something.

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Yeah, JW, I agree the Collab is a good thing. The first song is done, and available for download now. For the curious, just click the banner at the end of my post, and see what's been done by several of the MP best and brightest (or at least those with software... :) )

I wanted to get involved with the music part as well, but I also lack the software. I still helped some, but...

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I wanted to get involved with the music part as well, but I also lack the software. I still helped some, but...

- wraub

With me it's less of a software issue and more of a talent issue. :D

I will volunteer on a local level but man, I wanted that adventure too! My wife says I should probably pick something else for my mid-life crisis! :D

Here in Belgium there is a cell-phone action where you send an sms to a certain number, and it'll cost you one euro (a little over a dollar) so I sent an sms. Will do so again in a couple of days, and again, and again. It is the very least I can do, and in a way I'm ashamed of not doing more, but for some reason I can't bring myself to wiring money :(

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Hey Matt,

I agree with you on the lack of appreciation. After this summer of storms, I had the experience of being a local relief worker. Felt good, I was in the first crew to head out to the island to start the water plant up again after Charley (I was one of the last to bug out before he hit too.) Had crews from Mississippi and Illinois clearing trees and restoring my power at home.

Believe me when I tell you how tough it is, and we had it easy, roof over our heads, water, and big-@$$ generator to run the plant.

If more people would be inclined to volunteer like you did, I'm sure this planet would be in a much better condition.

ATM

Originally posted by wraub:

Hey Wraub:

Here's free (for personal use) 16-track digital recording software. I've downloaded it, and it looks a little clunky, but since it's free it's hard to complain. Here's the URL: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/

Also, PowerTracks from www.pgmusic.com is around $50 or so, and lots of PC recording enthusiasts seem to swear by it (I can't speak from personal experience). There's also Mackie's Traction for $80.

Now you have no excuse, so get to work on some music! ;)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Matt - Kudos for wanting to help. I think the written response could have reflected that a bit, although I see the point about experienced people. Could you volunteer at your local Red Cross?

As to your wife, two thoughts came to mind. One is that BASS is your midlife crisis. I hope she is supporting it. Second is to send her over. Given her skills, she'd be an asset. Then you could be home concentrating on buying to support your "crisis".

Yes - I'm kidding. Some nerve, talking about somebody else's wife...

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

Originally posted by wraub:

Hey Wraub:

Here's free (for personal use) 16-track digital recording software...

Dave

Dave, that is too cool, thanks very much! I guess I may have to join in the collabo fun after all...

You rock!

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

Tom - thanks for the kind words about my wife. Yes, she would be an incredible asset over there. Getting her to take time away from the fire department here, not to mention her business, is almost impossible though. I convinced her to take our son to Mexico for a week while he is on break and even with the lure of warm weather (85 deg.) and sunny beaches I almost had to shove her onto the plane. Unfortunately, I am so slammed trying to get my own business wrapped up and left in capable hands that I had to opt out this time. I get nauseous when I think of the fishing I'm missing. :freak: They are due back Saturday.

I still have a couple of feelers out and got a nice response from one of the agencies I contacted. There are now 3 local contractors and myself trying to find a way to make this work.

Can I survive in a foreign country for 6 to 12 weeks without a bass? Stay tuned . . .

Archived