Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recording bass with no amp

ryst

My recording studio is in my apartment and I do not have a bass amp. I do have a bass pre- Valvotronics Tube Amplified Direct Box (http://www.pickledick.com/valvotronics/articles.html) I would like to get something that emulates cabs and amps so I can mix between the direct bass signal and a "miked" signal. Again, since my studio is in my apartment, a bass amp will not be the answer. What's your opinion on the Bass Podxt, Sans amp RBI, or Sans Amp BDDI for direct recording? Not for a DI but for the emulation of amps/cabs?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just recorded into Acid using Sans amp BDDI. I thought it worked very well. Quiet, with good tube amp emulation. The manual was very helpful to get started and with a little time tweaking it, I was happy with the variety of sounds.

1974 Fender Jazz

2003 Musicman StingRay

2006 Gibson LP Studio VM

Carvin DCM1000 amp

GK 410 SBX Cab

SansampPBDDI

Ampeg B100R

This is what I use.

When you find lists of effects and pre-amps on "real" bass pages the BP200 rarely appears but I will stick with this until it frys. It's inexpensive, versatile, forgiving , quiet, and the pedal can be set to control any aspect of your patch. I have used it to record and hauled it to every gig since I got it with never a problem.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

ryst, If you are using a DAW (computer-based digital recording: Sonar, Cubase, PTLE, etc), check out what modelling "effects" are available with/for these products.

I use Cubase SX, and sometimes record DI dry. Then, I can use various inserts or sends to shape my tone.

My 2 cents.

Regards.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived