Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favorite Album of 2004

73 P Bass

What was your favorite album of 2004? After a careful reminiscence of the past 365 days, I'd have to say Prince "Musicology" spent the most time in my CD player (not only that, but I actually listened to it the most).

So my favorite was Prince "Musicology".

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sonic Youth's sonic nurse is my choice for this year. The song writing is really solid and with the exception of one of the songs, i love 'em all. Kim's voice still kind of annoys me sometimes though, but she has some cool bass lines.
We distort. You abide.

The soundtrack to 'O Brother Where Art Thou' - it was playing in a vintage furniture shop I was looking in, I went straight to the music store beside it and bought it. Best impulse purchase ever. :D

It's not from 2004... but it was my favourite this year.

SWR Amps: Amplify your furniture! Errr.... future.

Album that came out THIS YEAR or like, whenever?

My favorite album was probably Radiohead' Hail to the Thief, though it didn't stay in my cd player as much. I think was from last year, so that was kinda recent... right?

In Skynyrd We Trust

Swallow The Sun -"The Morning Never Came"

Heavy, melodic, moody, metal, doom, death. mmm good production. Finnish metal. Gotta love it. The first time in many years where I've listened to an album that came out that particular year most.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I just re-discovered U2's "All That You Can't Leave Behind". Over the past few days (and after being a U2 fan for years), just now have I come to love this CD. It's just seems melodic,uncensored,simple,open etc...somewhat like the band...their self.

Happy N-Year

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Would have to be Allison Krauss and Union Station "Live."

Not exactly a 2004 release, but I spent a lot of time with it.

I have also given 4 double CD sets and 3 DVD sets to friends and family.

Spread the word.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Megadeth's "The System Has Failed"

Only Cd I've bought in years. True to old school heavy metal. I was very surprised when I heard this, every song is a good song and not filler material around 2 or 3 good hits.

Sounds like this album should have been released 10 years ago! It really is a good buy if you like metal or hard rock.

I've been spending some time on the songs "Back in the Day" and "Kick the Chair"...

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Originally posted by Steve Lawson:

Julie Lee - Stillhouse Road. Fantastic nu-country/bluegrass album that features the mighty Dave Pomeroy on bass, Alison Krauss and Vince Gill on harmonies and Colin Linden and Rob Ickes on dobro... a magical record.

Gotta get this one, Steve.

I did notice you are a "Kindred Spirit" on her site!

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

Modest Mouse's "Good New For People Who Love Bad News." Hated it at first, didn't "get it" for a long time, but it's really grown on me.

Also CAKE's "Pressure Chief."

And Prince's "Musicology."

And I'm a huge U2 fan, but I think the new album has been way over-hyped. It's good, but it sounds much like the last album to my ears, not the "raw" back-to-roots album that critics and the band themselves are saying it is. It just sounds like same old, same old U2, or maybe even U2 trying too hard to sound like U2.

All your bass are belong to us!

Re: Julie Lee, DaveBrown said -

Gotta get this one, Steve.

I did notice you are a "Kindred Spirit" on her site!

yeah, I played bass for Julie on a UK tour a couple of years ago, and we hang out whenever she's in the UK or I'm in Nashville - if you get a chance to see her live, jump at it - one of the most compelling singer/songwriters I've ever seen. Man, playing on stage with someone you want to just sit and listen to is tricky sometimes! :)

Steve

www.stevelawson.net

Originally posted by Discombobulation:

And I'm a huge U2 fan, but I think the new album has been way over-hyped. It's good, but it sounds much like the last album to my ears, not the "raw" back-to-roots album that critics and the band themselves are saying it is. It just sounds like same old, same old U2, or maybe even U2 trying too hard to sound like U2.[/QB]

I totally agree, U2 have lost it since POP, their last truly great l.p!

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

Originally posted by Discombobulation:

And I'm a huge U2 fan, but I think the new album has been way over-hyped. It's good, but it sounds much like the last album to my ears, not the "raw" back-to-roots album that critics and the band themselves are saying it is. It just sounds like same old, same old U2, or maybe even U2 trying too hard to sound like U2.

I was actually pleasantly surprised by the new album. But I'm a grouchy old fart who thought that everything from Rattle & Hum on was pretty much crap, so what do I know.
Push the button Frank.

Probably my favourite album released and heard in 2004 was Kanye West's "College Dropout". There early signs it could be replaced as my "Best of 2004" by Enrico Rava's "Easy Living" only acquire a few days ago. If DJ Mix/compilations are allowed, St Etienne's "The Trip" is another contender.

Best "old" album I heard for the first time in 2004 was probably John Coltrane's "Ole". I've been surprised at how much I've enjoyed this given that it's one of his less regarded albums. I liked it more than many of his classic stuff. Other contenders include Joe Lovano's "Rush Hour" and William Parker's "Mass For The Healing of The World", both sublime in their very different ways. It was also the year I really got into Crossings/Mwandishi/Sextant period Herbie Hancock, patchy but intermittently great and always interesting.

Originally posted by mattulator:

Audioslave.

yup.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Embrace - Out of Nothing

Bloc Party - EP (looking forward to silent alarm)

Thirteen Senses - The Invitation

Interpol - Interpolantics

The Walkmen - Bows and Arrows

Matt Garrison - Shapeshifter

Derek Smalls: It's like fire and ice, basically. I feel my role in the band is to be somewhere in the middle of that, kind of like lukewarm water. http://www.myspace.com/gordonbache

Definitely would have to say my favorite is Marillion's latest, "Marbles". It's prog, it's pop, it's plain ol' rock.

Runner up: Caedmon's Call: "Share The Well" Bassist Jeff Miller finally seems to be finding his own voice; I thought on the last few albums his playing was, well, uninspired/ing; now I take notice of what he's doing.

Honorable mention: I just got Neal Morse's "One" so I haven't had a chance to absorb it, but Randy George plays nice & tasty.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Last buy of the year? Jaco Pastorious, debut album. I only listened to it today for the first time, it's great!

I think it's miles better than Weather Report's "heavy Weather". Earthier, not as elevator and twee.

I can't believe some of you folk can play Portriat Of Tracy :eek:

Grizzly Bears Don't Fear Anyone.

Angry Cheetahs Emerge Growling.

I reserve the right to change my opinion at any time!

Archived