Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Problem with plugging bass in computer

xvincex

Hello, I'm trying to plug my bass into my computer to play/record songs.

Here's what I'm doing:

Bass -> Input SansAmp Bass Driver -> Output -> 1/4 to 1/8 adapter into the Line IN of my Sound Card.

It doesn't do anything when I play bass.... is there something else I have to do?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by xvincex:

Ok I found the problem, line in as on while microphone was mute.

Yup. Now download a free copy of Audacity and Lame any you have your own recording studio. You can use windows recorder, but all the controls are on one screen on Audacity and it's easier to figure out what you are doing.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I've tried a few recording programs, and as far as I know, Audacity is the best one out there. Everything's right where you need it, and you can download tons of plug-ins to extend its range of effects. Best of all, it runs on Macintosh, so I don't need a new computer for it. (You all use Macs, right?)
Here's a tip: Try to eat everything. You'd be surprised how much is edible.

I currently have Adobe Audition 1.5, is it any good?

And do I plug the sansamp output in the microphone in or line in? Because when I plug it in line-in, it doesn't seem to record... (but it plays) and it sounds very good.

In the microphone-in, it can records but it sounds very bad...

Am I supposed to be able to record through the line-in?

Line in would probably be preferable-- the mic in jack is for very low level signals, so you're probably over-driving it, and that why it doesn't sound good.

As far as it not recording, you need to select "Line In" and mute the mic input in the "Recording" properties (open "volume control," click Options, Properties, and select "Recording."

Bruiser

hey guys/girls, little problem with plugging in my bass to my computer.

i downloaded audacity and it's great, the only problem, when i plug my bass into the 1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter and play, the sound is very distorted. i'm guessing it's the crappy 1/8" cable, so i wanted to know if u guys could recommend some good hardware that would let my plug my bass or amp into the computer and record.

thanks a lot

:)

-BGO

5 words you should live by...

Music is its own reward

---------------

My Band: www.Myspace.com/audreyisanarcissist

BGO:

If it's distorted it's probably not necessarily the cable. Check the level...my guess would be a level mismatch if you're hearing distortion. Also, double check that you going into a mono line-in jack rather than a stereo line-in or microphone in jack.

HTH,

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Archived