Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studio bass for player with smaller hands

Philip OKeefe

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mustang is a short scale bass. There will be some sonic trade-offs. Any of the other Fenders (Jazz or Precision) would be better. You said in the beginning that you wanted standard scale, and I agree with you from a sound standpoint.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted by Subsonicbass:

Teenaged girls seem to play just fine

on a Gibson Thunderbird.

http://www.the-donnas.com/pics/pic48.jpg

:D Maya Ford...she went to my high school along with the rest of the band. It was pretty freaky when I suddenly started seeing their pictures plastered everywhere.

They rock.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

Find a bass that sounds the way you want it to sound. For studio work it's hard to go wrong with a Fender.

And then deal with it.

If you find that a P 'does it' for you tonally, you could always cheat (like me) and have a jazz neck put on it. P bass necks feel like a baseball bat in my hands, but those Jazz necks are sleek and fast. Booya.

I know this thread is like 100 years old, but I'll toss in my 2 cents.

I got that small hand syndrome, too. I played with an Ibanez SR800 for over a decade before temptation got me to buy another bass.

The bass I got was a Carvin (fretless); I picked that puppy right out of the box and was able to play it without feeling like munchkin man or something (i.e. when trying to play a Fender).

And as a plus, Carvin didn't take it out on my pocketbook once they found out I was a lefty.

"Women and rhythm section first" -- JFP

I've played my hofner since the 60's and love it's deep tone, but I also have a Jazz bass that I use when I need sustain. The hofner hollow body doesn't hold the sustain nearly as well as the solid body -- short deep notes are incredible. The hofner neck is very easy to play and very fast, and I can move the bass around when I'm playing live because it's so lite, but it's not well balanced and is neck-heavy so you have to be careful when you let go. So I tend to record with the Fender and play live with the hofner, but it just depends on the music and what I'm trying to track.

Was it the aerosmith bassist who played a hofner at the superbowl half time show a couple of years ago?

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

I have a 4001, and I can't imagine not being able to get whatever kinda tone I want out of it. They are more versatile than people give them credit for.

Thank you, Lee. Thank you! I too have a 4003 (same as 4001 but for some internal construction issues), and it is a wonderful & versatile bass, IF you have versatile hands. For about a year I had TI flats on it, & was amazed at the punchy 60s tone I got from it, but with great clarity & articulation. However, I've got Markley roundwound steels on it now (Will Lee sigs), & even in the Ric growl sweet spot--everything full up, neck pickup backed off just a touch--it sounds wonderful & smooth playing Jamerson lines, with no outboard signal processing. (If someone has bandwidth to lend, I could post a sample.) From what I've read, this shouldn't be possible. And yet, there it is. ;)

OK, end soapbox mode. Briefly, I'm actually going to recommend against upgrading your current bass. It's probably a good bass, but it's probably not just electronics that you're going to outgrow (i.e. in the musical sense ;) ). The Ibanez SR series is pretty big now, & some really excellent basses are available in it at decent prices. They've also got the BTB series, which is highly tempting, imo. And of course there are lots & lots of great basses by all kinds of makers--some famous, some not--available at just about every price range. So try everything.

I hate the name game, but I'm going to recommend a Godin solid body bass. I've been VERY impressed with them; I think they offer MUCH more than they charge you for. The Freeway series is passive, & the BG series active. Both are excellent & highly playable. I say this as someone with not-big hands who likes a slim, comfy neck.

I have quite small hands and I have recently gone for an Ibanez SR900 and it has so much tone. After years of my Fender P delux..(which I still think is great) but the output is higher with lots of control.. and no hum.....bliss

FIL www.filjones.co.uk

I know you think you know what you thought I said, but what you think you thought I said isn't what I ment!

Archived