Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sansamp Bass Driver

Funkwave

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've compared the Tech21 Sansamp BDDI and the MXR M80 side-by-side, and they both sound great (I bought the M80, though...I thought it sounded better IMO). Both have a tube emulation circuitry that gives you a warm and bright sound. (It can be switched off on the M80, and I believe it also can be switched off on the DBBI although I'm not positive about it.)

I've dumped some basslines to digital recorder with the M80...it sounds great. I think you would find either one would work quite well. If possible you should check out the M80...it's almost the same (as I said, a little better in my opinion) and it costs less.

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Best DI for the money! If rackmount's your game... do the SansAmp RBI. If money is no big deal get The Avalon U5... period!!! Rack or floor(where ever there is space). Wish my SansAmp had a Tube but, that's the Avalon's thing! I'd warranty them myself if I could!

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

Originally posted by HiRoller:

Can you get an SVT-ish sound from the M80?

Yup, turn tube emulation on, turn the drive up about 1/3 or so, and there ya have it: warm, bright, and gritty! (Or that's my interpretation of an SVT-ish sound...YMMV.)

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Well my band are pretty much purist snobs when it comes to gear, we go for the classic sounds... our bass player got hold of a SansAmp, and my Ampeg B15 has been sitting in a corner unused throughout the recording of our current CD. If that tells you anything. :D

Sweet Willie was the one who turned us on to it and we're glad he did! :thu:

I love my Avalon U5, and I'm gonna keep it this time. Best clean tone ever.

I also loved my SansAmp BDDI when I had it. I may get one again to use with my Avalon. I liked that "Fat Tube" setting to make the Avalon just a little "rough around the egdes" if you know what I mean. ;)

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Well my band are pretty much purist snobs when it comes to gear, we go for the classic sounds... our bass player got hold of a SansAmp, and my Ampeg B15 has been sitting in a corner unused throughout the recording of our current CD.

It's scary, isn't it? A little tubeless box that costs around $150 shouldn't be so good.

Lee, have you ever tried out the SansAmp GT2 or the Classic for guitar? It's scary... for "quick and dirty" recordings it sounds great on guitar. I recently recorded a piece for a television show with live drums, guitar into a GT2 and bass into the BDDI and it sounded huge.

Haven't tried the guitar unit, but I'd like to sometime. And yeah the bass box IS scary. I think the fact that it's an all-analog circuit rather than a "digital emulation" probably has a lot to do with it, because I've never been happy with any of the digital modelling devices. But I'm willing to concede that I might like the SansAmp for guitar for the same reason.

I've enjoyed the benefits of both the Bass Driver and the GT2 for both recording and playing live. There's plenty of threads and posts about the Sans Amp and the MXR. I have not tried the MXR but there seems to be just as many devout fans. I guess it's Coke vs. Pepsi.

Mike Bear

Artisan-Vocals/Bass

Instructor

I've used my SABDDI so much I'll have to get a second one for a backup, but I'm considering a trip to the local musicmarket for a test drive of the MXR unit first.

If you can afford an Avalon U5, this discussion becomes academic - there is no comparison - you MUST get a U5!

As for an SVT sound, most people can duplicate that in the studio by overdriving a smaller amp and close-miking the speaker. But I've also done that with an old Blue Tube (Tube Works) pedal.

It's really amazing what you can do if you know your microphones and practice different placement techniques. Worth reading up on.

:wave:

:wave:

I used the Tech 21 BDDI for some time and loved it. I also use the tech 21 PSA-1 for guitar.

I agree that the tech 21 analog stuff sounds better than any of the digital modellers Ive heard. If there is as downside- they can be a bit noisy on some aggressive pre-sets (BTW so are many real amps)

FWIW- Lately, I ve gone to using my GR1NV pre as the DI for the bass. The tech 21 can give a wide range of tones. However, I find the GR1NV to be much more open, round and detailed. Now I just run my Jazz bass wide open thru this unit and get a very smooth & natural bass tone.

I EQ the bass much less/not at all with this chain.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I've had mine for 3 years now. No problems! Works great for recording & headphone rehearsels. Just bring your bass & the Sansamp & your ready to roll! Live, I run it straight into the instrument input on my amp. Makes my Beringer BX1200 sound like an EBS Drome!!! If you use more then 1 bass on stage, the Radial Bassbone Tonebone looks cool too!

If you can afford an Avalon U5, this discussion becomes academic - there is no comparison - you MUST get a U5!

Agreed. I love mine. But...if you want a little grit, the BDDI is great. I use one WITH my Avalon and man is that a sweet sound.

Archived