Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss ODB-3 - Flea settings

Tenstrum

Trying to find fleas settings for his distortion pedal (incidentally I picked one up off of eBay for $20 in excellent condition).

Anyone have a clue? I really like that certain fuzz tone he has...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I doubt you'll have much luck copying someone else's settings unless they play a near identical bass and rig with similar technique (particularly how hard they play) to yourself.

The ODB-3 doesn't have many knobs and they're not weirdly interactive like some pedals so it should be easy enough to get as close as you can to that sound. To my ear it sounds like he's got the gain cranked, the treble a fair way up and then most of the bottom is coming from the dry signal (so make sure the balance is far enough that way).

I like the ugliness of his sound on Californication, I think the Flea Bass sounds much more Flea than those Stingrays, Wals and Spectors ever did. Kind of like Mike Watt's clanky P-bass tone on Double Nickels On The Dime but with an end of the century sheen.

Alex

Use an ODB-3 myself. Not much of a RHCP fan, but if I try and run with the gain and the distortion all the way up, it is waaaaaaay too fuzzy and ringing, and the sustain is a bit much. But it may be my rig, too.

I think that there is more to Flea's sound than a distortion pedal.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

yeah, i know that there is more to flea's sound. just wondering what settings he uses on that particular padal.

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Two important points that my non-experienced ears about ODB-3. It eats a lot from the lows thus balance should not pass even the halfway, for a bass tone. And lows still need some help from the EQ on the pedal.
oops my signature dropped

Originally posted by C. Alexander Claber:

I doubt you'll have much luck copying someone else's settings unless they play a near identical bass and rig with similar technique (particularly how hard they play) to yourself.

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

yeah, i know that there is more to flea's sound. just wondering what settings he uses on that particular padal.

Do you have a Modulus Flea bass with Lane Poor pickup and Aguilar OBP-1 preamp set up with low action and played with aggressive technique into three full GK stacks?

Alex

Do I look like flea????

Last time I checked, I'm about a foot taller and 60 pounds heavier....

Do I play like flea??? I wish!!!

Do I want to sound like flea??? NO!

Would I like to know what settings his distortion pedal has? YES!

Tenstrum

Originally posted by Tenstrum:

Do I look like flea????

Last time I checked, I'm about a foot taller and 60 pounds heavier....

Do I play like flea??? I wish!!!

Do I want to sound like flea??? NO!

Would I like to know what settings his distortion pedal has? YES!

One thing, as I have been playing around with my ODB3, on the really deeply distorted parts like "Around the World" (I don't know if that was the tone you were after though), it is such a deep effect that you can get really close. Now if I could only play that part a bit better....

I used to play an ODB-3 exclusively(before I dropped it for a BigMuff) and the setting I liked best for it was the Fuzz tone setting.

There are 8 pre-selected EQ settings that are described in the manual, and they do vary the tone, but they didn't really do anything for me.

If you don't have the manual PM me I will tell you what the settings are.

For illustration I'll explain my favorite, the "Fuzz sound" setting.

Level 12 (o'clock)

EQ- low, 2

high,3

Balance maxed

Gain 12 o'clock

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

Archived