Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Does anyone else find the schecter website offensive?

DJ-Wood

Sorry, I don't want this to become a thread about political ideals either ...

I'm just annoyed that I had someone elses politics thrust upon me on a guitar site, and wanted to guage the opinion of my fellow bass-meisters!

I'm also really annoyed that Robert Smith of the Cure is endorsing schecter guitars ... I used to love the Cure in my very early teens (Disintegration is one of my favourite albums), and they were never the sort of band that I would have associated with the Schecter website imagery.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally like scantily clad/nude women in advertising but I just love women in a perverted way. I wasn't offended by the site Schecter put up but since I've been here I've acquired some taste, I guess.

I checked out the Jackson site, I loved it man!

Jenna Jameson :love: ROCKS and I'm buying one of those posters to hang in the garage.

ROCK N ROLL LIVES!!! :mad:

"The world will still be turning when you've gone." - Black Sabbath

Band site: www.finespunmusic.com

I sincerely hope Rock and Roll does still live!!

Rock and Roll: The portal by which young people the world over learn to Question Everything (also known as "Rebellion").

Schecter: The portal by which young people are encouraged to unthinkingly accept the act of War

(also known as "Propaganda")

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but isn't Shecter an American company??

So what's wrong with an American company showing support for America?

I didn't find the Schecter or Jackson websites offensive. If it offends you then don't go there.

What I find offensive is your political comments in the wrong forum. This topic shoud definitely be moved to the SSS imediately!

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

Harry Dresden, Storm Front

So what's wrong with an American company showing support for America?

The problem is that America is not United. Slightly less than half of the American population voted against Bush - thats an awful lot of people.

What I find offensive is your political comments in the wrong forum. This topic shoud definitely be moved to the SSS imediately!
And I was equally offended by the political comments made on a musical instrument website (Schecter). Thats my point.

I didn't find the Schecter or Jackson websites offensive.
I asked everyone for their opinions, and you've taken the time to share yours. Thank you.

I'm just annoyed that I had someone elses politics thrust upon me on a guitar site, and wanted to guage the opinion of my fellow bass-meisters!
And finally, when schecter says 'God Bless our brave troops' (or whatever), which god are they referring to? Allah? Jehova? No God that I look to would support the actions of the Bush administration.
Kind of reminds when I went to a bass forum and had someone elses political ideas "thrust upon me". :freak:

You're welcome...

You had some very valid points. And of course your post belongs on a musical section of the forum, since it was regarding a company that sells guitars and basses.

And thanks for reminding me that America is so much more than just a state populated by nothing but ultra-conservative, misogynistic, homophobic, isolationist, imperialistic, racist, war-mongering, zealot, automatons. I believe, or at least I hope, America is more than that, but it sure is hard to tell sometimes. It almost seems that companies like Schecter are trying to purposely propagate that stereotype. Unfortunate.

Originally posted by DJ-Wood:

No God that I look to would support the actions of the Bush administration.

Perhaps we would do well to distinguish between supporting the President's decision, and supporting the poor sods he marches off to carry it out. It's more than an academic distinction. Many people who failed to make it 30 years ago helped ruin people's lives.

And I was equally offended by the political comments made on a musical instrument website (Schecter). Thats my point.
I believe that I've seen many Bristish flags painted upon many guitars. Does that offend you? See the GREAT thing about America is that anyone can say anything they want. Including yourself.

The problem is that America is not United. Slightly less than half of the American population voted against Bush - thats an awful lot of people.

Does the name Tony Blair ring a bell??

I don't think he's too popular right now either...

Tenstrum

"Paranoid? Probably. But just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."

I believe that I've seen many Bristish flags painted upon many guitars. Does that offend you? See the GREAT thing about America is that anyone can say anything they want. Including yourself.
I find the use of the British Flag by bands such as Oasis to be dubious to say the least. I agree with the artist Banksy, who wrote: "People who enjoy waving flags don't deserve to have one"

Does the name Tony Blair ring a bell??

I don't think he's too popular right now either...

I'm proud to say that I was one of the many people who marched in protest against Tony and his war last year.

OK, time to end this thread right now and put it on the Political Forum. Seriously. Do not open this can of worms here.

Do you think that none of us have any strong opinions of the war? Of course we do, but we maintain a civil discourse here that does not stray into politically incendiary topics because THERE IS A FORUM JUST FOR THAT.

Knock it off here and take it there.

"For instance" is not proof.

I agree. Let's move this topic.

I think regardless where I was from I'd still be horny....

"People who enjoy waving flags don't deserve to have one
People in America deserve to wave a flag because they were born here. Wether they enjoy it or not.

I'm proud to say that I was one of the many people who marched in protest against Tony and his war last year.
Good for you. I didn't vote for Bush, but since he got re-elected and is the president, I will support him and my country. It's called National Pride...

Tenstrum

Originally posted by dcr:

Perhaps we would do well to distinguish between supporting the President's decision, and supporting the poor sods he marches off to carry it out. It's more than an academic distinction. Many people who failed to make it 30 years ago helped ruin people's lives.

Thank you from an OIF Vet.

Good for you. I didn't vote for Bush, but since he got re-elected and is the president, I will support him and my country. It's called National Pride...
If you had lived in Nazi Germany in the 1930s, would you have applied the same logic?

National Pride leads to all kinds of horrors, my friend ...

And finally, shall we just leave this topic now?

For what its worth, my favourite bassline is 'For Once In My Life' by Stevie Wonder. I play a Rickenbacker 4003, a fine piece of American craftsmanship.

Merry Christmas everyone!

haha, i like how, at the top, they try to pay homage to the soldiers, so they put a yellow bow instead of the yellow ribbon.

...jackasses.

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

If you had lived in Nazi Germany in the 1930s, would you have applied the same logic?

Seeing how as I wasn't born in 1930 or in Germany, I have no basis for a comment.

And to all kinds of good. Like stopping the Nazi's from taking over the world around 1945...

my friend...

All I'm saying is that some people take a lot of pride in where they live AND the sacrifices that other people made for them to keep them free. (Namely my father being in the marine core and defending his home and family. A debt that I can never repay to him no matter how long I live or what I do.) If someone wants to honor that place by doing a certain paint job that looks a certain way, then more power to them. They have 100% of my support.

And now I'm done with this thread.

Tenstrum

I sincerely hope Rock and Roll does still live!!

Rock and Roll: The portal by which young people the world over learn to Question Everything (also known as "Rebellion").

Schecter: The portal by which young people are encouraged to unthinkingly accept the act of War

(also known as "Propaganda")

FERCRYINOUTLOUD! Take it to the political forum. Keep in mind, you're voicing your own propaganda here. Not saying you don't have the right...you just don't have the right place.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

And lack thereof also leads to horrors. If nobody else had had any national pride, my friend, the free world would have just rolled over and played dead instead of kicking Hitler's ass.

You can be anti-war all you want, but, if you want to talk Hitler, learn the lesson of Neville "Maybe if we give Hitler his way he'll be nice" Chamberlain. I'll give it to Chamberlain, he tried. Didn't work.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

To summarise then, if anyone from Schecter is reading this thread, a lunch time poll has gathered the following comments from the bass playing community regarding your website:

"It just looks like a 14 year old boy designed their website to me."

"..it certainly looks idiotic and unprofessional.."

"... pretty sad ..."

"...unprofessional is an understatement..."

"Just one more reason for me not to buy any of their products."

"...puerile & dopey..."

"...that site is a jumbled mess..."

"...Poorly done? Yes..."

"The whole concept is poorly executed and very tacky, it almost makes the whole military look very cartoonish. I dont like the the shovenistic aspects of a lot of rock music is being used to sell products."

And I added " ...offensive..."

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to read and join in,

Best wishes,

David

And just in the interests of a democratic and fair representation, Schecter received the following positive comments:

"offensive not at all.What some cartoon girls with american flags.Would you rather see some fat chicks with no teeth promoting guitars or a picture of me and a skull and crossbones flag."

"I personally like scantily clad/nude women in advertising but I just love women in a perverted way."

"If someone wants (to do) a certain paint job that looks a certain way, then more power to them. They have 100% of my support."

I warned ya'll, now what looks better? schecter's website or my pic from 1987.If it was a better pic you could see boobs on the girl riding pegesus.Actually if any body ever see's this dean bass email me i would like to buy it back for sentimental reasons.

PS-Rock n roll is not dead we're just older and smarter now

Rock-n-roll junkie

I'm an ex-U.S. Army soldier and current full-time website creator. I'm currently redesigning Lakland's site.

While the Schecter site doesn't offend me, it doesn't make me want to buy one of their instruments either.

A site is a reflection of a company or person. This is how they choose to portray themselves. If you agree, fine. If not, fine.

What about the Warrior bass site? Nice looking, but heavy on the religion. If that's your thing, fine. If not, fine.

Visit my bass-player news-related website at www.dalecruse.com

Archived