Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

8, 10 and 12 strings

cygnus4001

Strictly out of curiosity, can someone explain why on an 8, 10 or 12 string bass are all the extra strings placed above the fundamental strings, as you are holding / playing it.

Wouldn't it be easier to hit the 'real' string and just the 'real' string if it was on top of those teeny weeny things they tacked on?

Not dissin' multi string players, just curious, I'd actually love to try a 10 string but the odds of finding one to play with here in Fairbanks is about zero, which is about thirty degrees warmer than it is outside, its brrrrrrisk out there tonight.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's already difficult to hit all the strings with the little ones ahead of the bigger ones. Trust me on this one. If the big one was before the little ones, you wouldn't hit them so much. You wouldn't like those little ones after the big one.

Depends on your approach to the instrument's set-up.

When I had my custom 8 built, the luthier asked if I'd like the octave string first or second in downward striking order as well as spacing between bass and octave. I play my 8 with a pick but do some finger picking, so I opted for the octave first with a narrow spacing.

I know some finger players that have the bass first and octave second - you can get a cool effect slapping the bass-string and popping the octave simultaneously, but you might go through a lot of strings that way.

After a few years of playing I can isolate either string for desired effect. Its no more difficult than playing a regular 4 if its set-up properly (lighter guage strings are prefferred - don't expect to pair up a .105 with a guitar string -), Your finger-tip placement is different but not life-threatening.

I play in a Power trio and we do a lot of Zep etc.. It definitely puts more octaine into the overall sound.

Played a Washburn 8 off the rack - wasn't bad. The Hamer Chapparel 12 is a different monster all together. Try em all out - you might like it.

I'll just ditto tarkus' comments on the 8; mine is set up the same way. When fingering, I hit the bass notes first and it sounds deeper; when I pick, the opposite happens. Found that to be very versatile and just kept working on both techniques as needed, although lately I tend to use less picks. I also concur that string spacing is vital, and found the Warmoth neck/Schaller bridge to be an adequate combination for achieving that.

I owned a Hamer Chapparel-12 for a couple of years and found it just about impossible to get a solid bass sound with that, both through an amp and run through my soundman's PA rig and units. We went back on the 8 and got better balance.

As for 10, it's tempting, but I haven't seen one at the local stores yet or had enough work tossed my way to justify owning one yet. Though it's pretty much the 5-string version of an octave bass, IMHO. Perhaps next year...

Originally posted by Gospel5string:

tried playing an 8 in a store once...felt like an idiot. I guess you're supposed to use a pick or something.

can anyone name 1 or 2 tracks where an 8 string bass is prominent?

jason

Actually tarkus had a thread with some examples a while back, try a search.

Some of my faves are "Nobody's Fault But Mine" on Zep's Presence album, and several tracks on Yes' Tormato album.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

jason

Jimi Hendrix played a Hagstrom 8 on "All Along the Watchtower"

John Paul Jones: "Nobody's Fault But Mine" "Achilles Last Stand" and most of the tracks from the Zeppelin album Presence.

Wearin and Tearin from Coda.

His Solo albums Zooma and Thunderthief feature multi-course basses throughout.

Greg Lake: Fanfare for the Common Man and most of the ELP Works Live album.

Nick Lowe: Cruel to be Kind

Chris Squire: Safe from the solo album Fish Out of Water

John Entwistle: Trick of the Light (thats a fun one to play!)

Robert Trujillo: I'm not sure which tracks but I know he wailed 8 string on both Infectious Grooves and Suicidal Tendancies

then there are 12 stringers....

Doug Pinnick of Kings X: lot's of Hamer 12.

Cheap Trick: You name it, it's all 12 string.

Thats the short list!

There is also a cool version of "Money" on one of their 'best of' albums that was played on 8 string. I believe the album was called "A Collection of Great Dance Songs".

I intend to enter the multi-stringed world once I can afford to.

Nothing is as it seems but everything is exactly what it is - B. Banzai

Life is what happens while you are busy playing in bands.

Originally posted by tarkus:

What kinda 8 you got Fred?

Had one custom built for me, essentially:

-a Warmoth 8-string maple neck with ebony fingerboard

-P-bass style Warmoth alder body, black

-EMG P/J pups with two-band active EQ

-Schaller 8-string bridge, black

-Gotoh tuners, black

By next spring I should have a site up to display it. But anyone can build this as it is all off-the-shelf parts. What I liked most of all is the width of the Warmoth neck, which is a little less than a P-neck but just enough spacing in between the strings to pluck the root and barely touch the octave in the set.

For me it was easier to have this built to my preference than to shop all the available variations, plus the builder lived about an hour away so I was able to visit during the construction process and offer suggestions.

tried playing an 8 in a store once...felt like an idiot. I guess you're supposed to use a pick or something.

jason

They're not easy to play. At least if you're just going to try playing fingerstyle. I had an early 80's Ibanez Musician 8, and it was definitely a challenge to play.

As for some other stuff that was played on 8 or 12 string, I'm kind of surprised nobody mentioned one song. "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam is one of the best examples out there.

For some other cool 8 and up playing, check out some of the following:

-Most Cheap Trick albums

-Led Zeppelin, Presence

-John Paul Jones, Zooma & The Thunderthief

-Pearl Jam, Ten

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

Originally posted by Fred the bass player:

Originally posted by tarkus:

What kinda 8 you got Fred?

Had one custom built for me, essentially:

-a Warmoth 8-string maple neck with ebony fingerboard

-P-bass style Warmoth alder body, black

-EMG P/J pups with two-band active EQ

-Schaller 8-string bridge, black

-Gotoh tuners, black

By next spring I should have a site up to display it. But anyone can build this as it is all off-the-shelf parts. What I liked most of all is the width of the Warmoth neck, which is a little less than a P-neck but just enough spacing in between the strings to pluck the root and barely touch the octave in the set.

For me it was easier to have this built to my preference than to shop all the available variations, plus the builder lived about an hour away so I was able to visit during the construction process and offer suggestions.

Sounds sweet. I just got a digicamera - so I'll try to post my bass up. I went with Bartolini pickups and have an odd config of Ultra-lite bass tuners with chrome schallers for the octaves.

That must be a very narraow string arrangement. My neck is about as wide as a narrow 5 string.

I sent the luthier an outline of my left hand and many phone conversations about playing style and strap placements, arm bends etc... Luv my 8!

Originally posted by GTRBass:

[QB]I have a Hamer 12 string and a Dean 10 string. Multi course basses are fun to play, and you get the "shock and awe" reactions out of the audience.

Here's some cool web links.

12 string bass.net:

http://www.12stringbass.net/

Cool link: Allen Woody - saw him bang out Whippin Post many time on the 18 string beast.

I didn't know Dean mande a 10.

Post your multis!

Archived