Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kern-Peavey-Bergantino

_Sweet Willie_

I was thinking that a nice rig would be:

Kern IP-777 preamp -->

Peavey DPC1400X power amp -->

Bergantino HT112 (x2)

I don't have the funds right now for this, although I bet such a rig could be put together for not too outrageous a price via the "used" market (especially since new Kerns seem to be on hold for the moment).

I would expect such a rig to be toneful, relatively portable, and loud since the Peavey is rated at 1400W bridged into 4 ohms. (Additionally both the preamp and power amp are black, as are the cab coverings of the Bergies -- maybe if the grill was black powder coat they'd be louder? Imagine playing a black bass through all of that -- like my EB MM 'Ray5...)

Also, would that Peavey power amp have enough juice for two Acme Low B2 cabs?

Just curious. I'd like to hear what others might have to say about the potential of this rig. It would really be helpful if someone might be able to speak to their own experiences using such a rig.

Thanks in advance. :wave:

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those Bergie cabs rock the friggin' world, you can't go wrong there.

If it were me, I'd get a Demeter preamp. Those things friggin' rulinate all across the land (and several thatch-roof cottages).

A friend has the DPC1400X and he loves the thing. Personally, I'm a bit wary of a power amp with no fan. I'd suggest getting a Stewart World 1.6 instead. 1600 watts bridged at 4 ohms, nice big cooling fan, and it only weighs 16 pounds.

edit: The Stewart power amps are black. Black makes it louder. Louder is gooder.

Willie, I'll have the opportunity sometime this month to try out the Read Purity preamp. I got to play one at last year's NAMM show and liked what I heard but wasn't able in that environment to turn it up. I've had many thoughts if the Read works out to get one with a Stewart 2.1 and use various Accugroove cabs with that set-up.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

Also, would that Peavey power amp have enough juice for two Acme Low B2 cabs?

Yo S-Dub no problem with two Acme Low B2 cabs and the DPC1400X. That is what I have and it RAWKS! :thu:

Also, I have an Alesis Studio 24 that I have been running a cd player through so I can mix the direct out signal from my SWR Grand Prix with songs that I'm learning. I run it all through the DPC and the Acmes and it can get loud as hell.

Originally posted by Bumpcity:

A friend has the DPC1400X and he loves the thing. Personally, I'm a bit wary of a power amp with no fan.

Huh?

My DPC1400X has a multiple speed internal fan. No need to worry about leaving a rack space above or below as long as the back and front is uncovered.

Which the fan by the way can be kind of loud at low volumes. That's why I turn it up to 11 :D .

Originally posted by WCunha:

A friend has the DPC1400X and he loves the thing. Personally, I'm a bit wary of a power amp with no fan.

Huh?

My DPC1400X has a multiple speed internal fan. No need to worry about leaving a rack space above or below as long as the back and front is uncovered.

Which the fan by the way can be kind of loud at low volumes. That's why I turn it up to 11 :D .

Yes. You are right. I'm a big dumb idiot.

It must have been the 1000 that didn't. I know he blew that up and when he replaced it he got the 1400.

I stand corrected. Sit corrected... whatever.

That rig would rock the friggin' casbah, Sweets.

Huh?

Yes. You are right. I'm a big dumb idiot.

It must have been the 1000 that didn't. I know he blew that up and when he replaced it he got the 1400.

I stand corrected. Sit corrected... whatever.

That rig would rock the friggin' casbah, Sweets.

Well, your batting average is going down. I have a DPC1000 and does indead have a topmount fan. :D

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I was thinking that a nice rig would be:

Kern IP-777 preamp -->

Peavey DPC1400X power amp -->

Bergantino HT112 (x2)

Isn't this the Maury Limited Edition Special "Bring the Rawk" Package? I think it's Model Number CPA-140db

"For instance" is not proof.

dubs -- you may want to consider an HT/EX stack instead of two HT-112s. that is the way of my ninja when i have the reason to upgrade (i.e. a gig).

i'm glad wade caught bump's fan snafu, because i hate to be the one opening up a can of peavey knowledge.

as for my HT adventures, i find the 590W single channel into 8 Ohms of my crest pro 7200 to be just about right for a single HT-112. 1000W single channel into 4 Ohms would be a lot more comfortable for me compared to bridging 3400W into 4 when i get an EX. 2000W bridged into 8 Ohms is equally too juicy for safety, though i have tried it before.

the beauty of a rig like this is once you have the HT and a power amp, tone changes with the preamp. lately i've been plugging my bass directly into my amp for simplicity's sake, but warwick tone is a preamp away. i have considered picking up an eden head for the really quick and easy, which is another tone flavor. all of this may be moot when the pro1600 head comes out. i might have my hands on one then. i have also wanted to try alembic tone and my own tonal ideas, but that is vaporware for later.

robb.

Originally posted by robb.:

dubs -- you may want to consider an HT/EX stack instead of two HT-112s. that is the way of my ninja when i have the reason to upgrade (i.e. a gig).

Everyone seems to get the HT/EX combo but based on my 2x identical cab experiences I'd rather get an HT/HT pair. Keep one at the studio, one at home to minimise cartage and get consistent tone. Run them in stereo as a monster hi-fi for parties or as a PA for acoustic gigs. And I'd expect a slightly clearer tone due to both cabs producing their highs from the (exceedingly nice) tweeter rather than one putting out highs from the tweeter and the other from the 12" driver.

And I'd expect the Peavey to be great with Acmes. The question is do you want the pretty colouration and less deep but punchier sound of the Bergs or the transparent mids and highs and tight yet massive bottom of the Acmes. Or to put it another way, do you want to punch through the band or wrap around it? Or course, that's without EQ - start tweaking knobs and I'm sure either cab can fake the other convincingly enough!

It must be boring being a guitarist - so... Fender, Marshall, Mesa or a boutique hand-wired copy of vintage Fender or Marshall? Whilst for us there are some many gear choices its a wonder there's any time left to think about music... ;)

Alex

Originally posted by zeronyne:

Isn't this the Maury Limited Edition Special "Bring the Rawk" Package? I think it's Model Number CPA-140db

Indeed. That is the new rig. The Kern came on Friday. I have only played the Kern IP-777 -> Peavey DPC 1400X through the Avatar B212 at this point. It is indeed dishy. I'm hoping to run it through the Bergs and the Acmes during the week.

I still have the Demeter -> Stewart 2.1. It's nice to have choices in life. Maybe I can find a venue where I can play the Demeter/Stewart 2.1/Acme Low B2 x2 AND the Kern/Peavey/Berg HT112/EX112.

Mmmm....

Originally posted by getz76:

Indeed. That is the new rig. The Kern came on Friday. I have only played the Kern IP-777 -> Peavey DPC 1400X through the Avatar B212 at this point. It is indeed dishy. I'm hoping to run it through the Bergs and the Acmes during the week.

I still have the Demeter -> Stewart 2.1. It's nice to have choices in life. Maybe I can find a venue where I can play the Demeter/Stewart 2.1/Acme Low B2 x2 AND the Kern/Peavey/Berg HT112/EX112.

Mmmm....

I'm jealous. You SUCK!

Sorry Maury for the uncalled for outburst. I let my emotions get the best of me.

Say it ain't so! You're sh!#in' me!!! ;):D

I have a feeling we might get to hear more about said gear from our beloved NJ CPA over the next few days.

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

:D

I think I'm competing with Dan (57pbass) for gear collection at this point. I need to sell a couple of things.

The SWR 350/Avatar B212 is going to go.

So is the SWR WM 15.

That'll still leave me with 4 cabinets, 3 amps (2 racks, one integrated head), and a combo.

Originally posted by Da LadY In Tha Pink Dress:

This is kinda sorta off topic-ish, but I just heard the Read Purity preamp on basstasters... YIKES! That thing sounds awesome!

Not off-topic at all. On the other hand, I just save a lot on my car insurance by switching to Geico. Now THAT is kinda off topic.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

What's with all the playa hating? ;)

All luv. All the time. Nuthin' but luv. Yup.

I feel the love, and so does Err. Show him, Err.

.|.

(teehee)

That'll still leave me with 4 cabinets, 3 amps (2 racks, one integrated head), and a combo.

How will you survive with just that? ;)
I've been asking the same thing!

In defense of what seems like complete gear gluttony, I did at one point have a need for multiple rigs; I was playing in 3 bands with 3 different rehearsal spaces.

I had the SWR 350/Avatar B212 at one space (chancer). The Nemesis 210P at another space (Pulpbox). The SWR WM15 at yet another space (Papalegba).

chancer is still kicking and has a space, but since I upgraded the PA, I might start playing direct for rehearsals. Pulpbox is become more and more infrequent, but I leave my Nemesis combo at in the guitarist's basement. Papalegba is dying a slow death, but with no drummer, one guitarist MIA, and a broke singer, we don't have a space, a gig, or a plan.

Archived