Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most difficult bass riff...

Bass_god_offspring

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by wraub:

Originally posted by getz76:

"The 5% Nation of Milton-Bradley"

Is Chicago, is Not Chicago. :)

Peace,

wraub

"You are going to Ricita to make love to a model from Ohio whose real name you don't...know..."

Originally posted by jeremy c:

I'd like to hear someone play Rancid's Maxwell Murder at the original tempo. My hands cannot move that fast.

Does anyone have a copy of that song somewhere that I can "download and preview" it? I've never heard it and everyone always raves about how great the bassline is. Curiosity is getting the best of me.

It's transcribed in the latest Bass Player, also.

It doesn't look that horrible until you see that it's at 155bpm in cut time. I'm just a beginner, but it seemed a bit daunting. There's a lot of subtle coolness in it, too.

"For instance" is not proof.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Originally posted by wraub:

Originally posted by getz76:

"The 5% Nation of Milton-Bradley"

Is Chicago, is Not Chicago. :)

Peace,

wraub

"You are going to Ricita to make love to a model from Ohio whose real name you don't...know..."
You guys are making me smile like you cannot imagine. I hope both of you had a chance to see these guys live. Pretty cool stuff.

yeah bump, it is pickstyle

...although it would be fun to have someone play it fingerstyle with a camera attached to the bass like in the clatter dvd, that would be cool to watch.

"I'm thinkin' we should let bump answer this one...

Prepare to don Nomex!"

-social critic

"When I install my cannons, I'm totally going to blast their asses back to the 16th century; Black Beard style"

-bumpcity

My first post :wave:

I figured Geddy Lee out years ago. The first concert I went to was the 'Hemispheres" tour, and I saw Rush 4 more times after that :)

Ya.. I'm an old guy..

I saw Weather Report as well on the "Heavy Weather" tour..

Part of being an old guy is knowing your limitations. In that respect I don't think I'll ever do Les Claypool justice. He's so beyond how I see Bass in a band, that I know I can't get my head around his style. That is by no means a slam on Les.. I consider him a trail blazer for the next generation of Bass Players!

I've also seen the Funk Brothers twice now in the last year. Without knowing it, Bob Babbitt inspired me to play Bass when I was a kid, and his influence remains with me. You just can't deny the the groundwork the Motown players had on what we do now.

I digress.. my first post..

The hardest Bass line I ever heard was done by John Entwistle on the last Who tour. I SAW him play it, I heard it, and it still baffles me. It was the Bass solo in My Generation, done with both the left and right hand flailing the fretboard.

On a side note, it was the same night Pete Townsend impailed himself on his whammy bar.

Keep laying it DOWN!

The Congelator

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm a huge Soul Coughing fan.
Too fat fat you must cut lean

You gotta take the elevator to the mezzanine Chump... change

And it's on...

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'm going to vote for Mahavishnu's "Celestial Terrestrial Commuters". I can play the notes (most of 'em anyway; it's not a blazing fast orgy of notes either) along with the recording. But when I got with a live drummer without the support of the recording, that 19/8 time signature gave me fits. And, trust me, I know it wasn't the drummer's fault.

Let me just say that I learned a great deal about rhythm and time in the 15-20 minutes we drilled on 19/8. I wish I had the opportunity to practice with that drummer on a regular basis.

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

I'll just put in some that I've actually played, in no particular order, because their difficult in their own ways.

Armando's Rumba - Chick Corea

A fast latin jazz piece, with the bass playing almost the same as the theme. Fast playing with difficult rhythms. It took us (a band in a music school) pretty long to get it to even work. We haven't come to the part where it sound good yet..

First Circle - Pat Metheny

Switching time signatures all the time from 22/8, 12/8, 6/8 and the occasional one bar of 4/4. And of course 7 pages in notation form.

Life on Mars - David Bowie

We play a different, more jazzier version. Actually I haven't heard the original. I play the verse with a fretless (I've been playing bass for about 3 months, fretless for about 2 weeks) alone with the singer. I have to keep time in a pretty slow tempo, play in tune with (at least for me) pretty difficult fingerings and listen to how the singer sings. I played this live last thursday, and people thought I played good, so I guess I can make it work..

- Bob Freebird

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

I've been learning "Darling Dear" by Jamerson (Jackson 5). It's hard. Anyway, it's the hardest song I've learned so far, & I got a pretty decent recording of it the other night, which pleased me.

Hey Ben, that riff is one of my FAVES! Sadly, I find that sometimes it's under-appreciated by some of my bandmates when I throw it into a tune... :( There are times when I think it just fits, though. Oh well.

(And it's the ultimate "stock lick"--will work in any key, any time signature, & any style!)

Archived