Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Which bass for country gospel

49GW

I'm a late starter. 49 and just now learning to play the bass, (first instrument ever). I'm learning to play country gospel and country. What would be a good bass for this style of music, and what features would be best? What ever I invest in will need to last. I bought a bass on ebay just to get started learning, brand name "Cozart". I think it's OK, but I know I need something better. Looking for help from experienced bassist.

GW

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Make my bass a P-bass,

I want to get bassed up..."

I don't have any idea what "Cozart" is, but I'll bet it's some no name Asian import that hums like a mother and you can't get the action adjusted. The plating is coming off the bridge, and the creek is risin'.

NE Texas? Texarkana? I'm in Arlington.

The Fender Precision is the first choice for many in this category. You can get them in many flavors, depending on price spent...Made in America is most expensive. Many people like the Made in Mexico (MIM).

What you want to spend makes a big difference. Iff'n you could drop $500 the world opens up for you. Spend $800 and you are getting into lower end pro territory.

For the cheapest basses of fairly decent quality, I like Musicyo This is a site of brand names that Gibson has bought up, re-released in imported versions of pretty decent quality at rock bottom prices. On this site, I like the Toby Pro and Delux models pretty well.

There are lots of other choices, Warwick Rockbass is a good one.

Do some research here using the search feature. The more informed you are, the better the selection you'll make.

Search using these terms:

• Best beginner bass
  • precision bass
  • P J pickup
  • MIM
  • Rockbass
  • Carvin
  • Peavey
  • bolt on
  • Reverend

There are a bunch of other search terms that might come in handy.

The other option that comes to mind are Peavey basses, T-40's used to be real popular for some reason. Heavy as a tank, but seem perfect in church! (Tongue firmly planted in cheek.)

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

When I read,

Originally posted by 49GW:

I'm learning to play country gospel and country.

GW

I immediately thought of this: http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/518530.jpg

Click Here---> Goldtone Banjo Bass <---ereH kcilC

Something this different makes me want to hear and feel it.

Welcome to the forum, GW(Bush?) ;)

ATM

Yeah, P bass.

Welcome to the board BTW. Mr. first post

On second thought...I play a boatload of country music. It's getting pretty darn tough to do it without a 5 string. Nashville's been all about the B string for about 10 years at least.

If you're doing old school country...P bass

P-J would be my first choice.

J-HB (Music Man type) would be my second.

A good bridge pickup will help you compensate for those effect boxes and things you're eventually going to insert between your bass and preamp input jack.

There's enough good choices out there.

Just play them all before you select and buy one.

Also, don't worry about the kid in the bass department showing you how to play like Flea or Jaco, unless that's the salesperson. If it is, go to another store.

:D

Welcome GW. They're jusy givin' you a hard time, but they (we) are on the same wave length!

A P-bass is the way to go, in the four-string catagory...for sure. For a "five" which adds alot of flexability (you'll need it), you might try a Yamaha BB405 for a starter 5-string. I started out playing in church, and we had to capo up and (down?), for the vocalists. It is fairly inexpensive to grab.

The Fender Precision should be in your arsenal for sure! It will sound good...as long as you get a good one.

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

All the fun aside, A good solid fender "P" bass would suit your needs just fine. Its not too pricey (compared to some of the high end basses that you really don't need for what your doing) and its the standard in which so many other bass makers have used in their own basses.

In fact, you could probably get a used one for a really great price, and they are very easy to find.

Check out my work in progress.

I'm gonna say something sorta obvious here...

I don't think you need any particular type of bass to play country/gospel. You just need a bass that feels comfy in your hands. Your "Cozart" could be just dandy for this genre if you like the way it feels. Considering the number of cool things you can do to a bass these days (pick-ups, effect, modelers, etc), the only thing that really matters is that you like the way your bass feels.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

I'm with Erik. A good bass is a good bass. You may not want one shaped like a spider, if that's going to clash with the look you're going for in presenting your music. But you knew that. Beyond that, basses really aren't style-specific.

I do notice, though, that everyone jumped to certain assumptions about what country & gospel are. But these genres are pretty broad, really, & growing & changing all the time. It's not necessarily about what you're used to seeing behind Johnny Cash any more. Again, you'll know what looks right for you when you see it.

So buy a well built bass that makes you like to play. Go to a showroom & play every one they have. Twice. Then go to another & repeat.

I'd think that strings would make more difference in the "style" of the bass' sound--old school thump, edgy growl, etc.--than the actual bass itself.

Or order a Carvin. Though admittedly I had seen and played a few Carvin basses and guitars before ordering one, that mainly assured me that Carvin had real attention to detail and craft, and great materials. Because at the time, I was a newbie and just wanted a flexible bass. I didn't really play well enough or have the hands-on knowledge to say I WANT THIS SOUND, and this bass will or will not do that. And in a way, I was lucky. Because I didn't have any big misconceptions about what is possible either.

In general, most basses will do the job you want to do.

Mr Knees,

Indeed, strings are a big part of it, probably more than pickups usually. And indeed, I'm seeing so many Five and Six string basses in the hands of players in the supposedly staid "country" scene, and in gospel I think that's long been the case too.

When ever I see a country band on the talkin' picture box, and notice the bass player, I often see Carvin's and G&L's.

I do have a soft spot for a good "P" though. ;)

Johnny Cash's bass player usually played an upright. :thu:

"Start listening to music!".

-Jeremy C

If I may suggest, I wouldn't even associate any particular kind of bass with a particular kind of music. You can pretty much make any bass work for any genre of music. That's my opinion, anyway.

With that in mind, what I'd suggest to you to is to get a bass who's sound you really like. Go to every music store you can find and play every bass they have. Seriously. When you find that one that makes you go "Wow! I really like how this sounds!" then you've found the bass that will work best for the music you play. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophesy, if that's makes any sense. Also, if you think think it sounds great, then you'll play it better because you'll love playing it. The more you play, the better you get at it (just like anything else).

Good luck and enjoy the search! :thu:

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

my pair of fake copper chips:

whatever bass you like. if you can, bring along yer gittar player to the music store, assuming s/he can bring along their instrument, and jam on a few different basses.

that being said, wazzup with trick pony's bass player doing the Bongo??? i played one, and i thought it had way too much umph for a country gig, but...everyone's hands are different, ey?

i think that's the key...what do your hands sound like? they make the sound a lot more than the instrument.

of course, i think i know everything...just ask me... ;)

Hey GW,

Just in case you didn't already know, being new to bass playing and the forum and all:

P-bass = Fender Precision Bass

J-bass = Fender Jazz Bass

Unless I'm totally wrong since I have yet to have the pleasure.

Have fun playing all the basses in all the music stores you go to.

ATM

Archived